Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:00 AM

27 posts, read 87,378 times

Advertisements

There is something creepy about Washington and also about Hurricane.I just read this about Hurricane Pd and it is out of the "Twiglight zone".
Be Aware my friends.
BREAKING NEWS: Cardall family sues Hurricane police chief, officer, city | thespectrum.com | The Spectrum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 PM

442 posts, read 965,201 times
Check this out...it happened in St. George.

Two women killed, UHP trooper injured in River Road crash | thespectrum.com | The Spectrum

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 AM

55 posts, read 250,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
I tried to open the link, but its not there - maybe you could just summarize, what was this about ??

Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 AM

56 posts, read 230,843 times
A highway patrolman was speeding to a call on city streets, and killed a couple of older ladies who were turning left when he was coming. He was going way too fast from what I hear. I don't think he was charged with any crime............

Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM

13 posts, read 37,360 times
Default POLICE HARASSMENT...something to think about.

Question: I would like to know how it is possible for police officers
to harass people and get away with it?

And the Reply:

It is not easy. We average one cop for every 2000 people. About 60% of those cops are on patrol, where we do most of the harassing. One-fifth of that 60% are on duty at any moment and available for harassing people. So, one cop is responsible to harass about 10,000 residents. When you toss in the commercial, business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible to harass 20,000 or more people a day. A ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND find a new person to harass.

This is not an easy task. Most cops are not up to it day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those which we harass. They are as follows:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. “My neighbor is beating his wife” is a code phrase we use. Then we come out and give special harassment. Another popular one on a weeknight is, “The kids next door are having a party”.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars blasting music, cars with expired registration tabs, and the like. It is lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, are drunk, or have a warrant.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

CODES: When you can think of nothing else to do, there are books that give ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called Codes. Penal, Vehicle, Health and Safety, Business and Professions... They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people. After you read the code, you can just drive around for a while until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy smash a car window. Well, the code says that is not allowed. That meant I got to harass this guy. It is a pretty cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well. I seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it because the good citizens who pay the tab like that we keep the streets safe for them.

Next time you are in my town, give me a single finger wave. That is a signal that you wish for me to take a little closer look at you, and maybe find a reason to harass you. Looking forward to meeting you.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 PM

239 posts, read 952,264 times
LOL, I love it! I am grateful for the work our officers do!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 AM

13 posts, read 37,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttenorman View Post
A highway patrolman was speeding to a call on city streets, and killed a couple of older ladies who were turning left when he was coming. He was going way too fast from what I hear. I don't think he was charged with any crime............
Do you really BELIEVE that this officer woke up in the morning and said, "I think I'm going out and find someone to wreck into.." come on, people.

If your house was being broken into, or you were being robbed or beaten to a pulp, would you want the cops to respond like they were driving Miss Daisy? No, you need the cops there-Right Now...the faster, the better.

Didn't Driver's Ed teach up all to pull to the right and stop for emergency vehicles?? Well, not to speak ill of the dead, but I must have missed the "Turn Left in Front of a Speeding Emergency Vehicle" class...

And how do you think that officer feels? He will live with these tragic deaths for the rest of his life.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
When living in Utah I always thought the cops were great. Keeping the peace. It was like living in Mayberry Rfd. (St.George) Great little town.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 AM

56 posts, read 230,843 times
Default Wow. (PK138)

First I read your comment about harassment..........
I totally agree with all of it. I am PRO police. I don't have any problem with them whatsoever. (Well, I guess I don't like them much when I'm speeding, but that's my own fault )

Then I read that you quoted my comment about the cop who killed the two women..........
To answer the question you asked. No, obviously he did not intend to do that, and I assume he feels horrible for it.
I was only passing info. along that I read/saw on t.v. I suppose I implied that he should have been charged with something by leaving the .......... at the end. I wasn't there, and I don't know what happened, and I assume that a younger more alert driver might not have made that turn. All I do know is that being a cop seems to be a damned if you do/damned if you don't kind of job. I couldn't handle it myself.

But................, and I only bring this up because it's so coincidental.
I was driving from Kanab to St. George yesterday right around Colorado City. The speed limit is 65 through there, and I was going about 70. I come to the top of a hill, and I am not making this up, a highway patrolman is in my lane probably going 100?????? passing the idiots who aren't pulling over in the other lane of traffic. If I hadn't swerved onto the shoulder, or if there hadn't been a wide shoulder..........it would not have been good. HE WAS WRONG. End of story. Yes the other cars should have pulled over, yes I was going 5 over the limit, but he should not be going up a blind hill hoping no one is going to appear at the top of it. I don't have any police training, but I assume that that type of driving would not be accepted in any situation. I had a split second to get out of his way, and I'm thankful I was able to. It happens, I'm not mad, it's a real world I live in. I make mistakes, I don't expect others not to.

Once again, I'm pro police. I respect, and appreciate their service, and I also accept that they are human. Just like the rest of us.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,463 times
Exclamation A lot of the police are crooked, I'm sorry to say

I lived in St. George for almost 20 years and I have never witnessed such corrupt law enforcement! I was a single mother of 3 and was harassed by a cop that lived in the same condos that I did. Plus my son was constantly harassed by him. There was an older guy that lived in the condos that hated that cop for whatever reason I don't know? But he urinated all over the cops car one night and I got a knock at the door the next day by the cop wanting to see my son. He was all over him!!We found out later talking to the guy that didn't like him that he did it and he had done quite a few things to the cop to cause him trouble. That same cop also had my car towed out of my own parking space and I owned my condo? I hadn't driven it for about 2 weeks as I was waiting to get paid so I could get a new battery. I went to his door and cried and asked him why he did that and he had no answer for me? I couldn't pay the the towing fee or the money that they charge to store it so I lost my car all together!! It was a sad time for me because a friend gave me that car and it was all original 1961 Chrysler Newport with the shift buttons on the dash. I know of other instances where a cop was caught racing in Cedar City in a police car and under the influence of alcohol and was fired but a few years later became a sheriff or highway patrol and has since been let go for something else. The purgatory is a corrupt place also! There has been something going on with a sex scandal at the purgatory with the female inmates but nobody is talking much about it and you aren't hearing the whole story on the news either? That is just the tip of the iceberg actually, I could write a book on what goes on in Sunny St. George.

Last edited by spitwad; 09-15-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George