Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,388 times

Advertisements

I think it's fair to warn to everyone about something I have noticed living in Washington City the last 4 years. The city police seem eager to ticket drivers for what may even be considered ridiculous "violations". My recommendation is to drive very cautiously in Washington City. An 82 year old lady I visit teach was just pulled over and ticketed for driving 5 mph over the speed limit on Telegraph St. She was going down the hill near Coral Canyon. A friend came by yesterday and was ticketed for having a burned out headlamp! At worst he should have been given a warning, but a ticket? Really? I guess this is the downside of living in a quiet community with little crime.

I seem to notice more people being pulled over towards the end of the month, maybe because the police have quotas to fulfill? I don't know...Just be very careful...that's my suggestion.

Peace and blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 AM

498 posts, read 1,455,224 times
It wouldn't surprise me. It's not uncommon for cops in small towns to get bored and ticket every offense they possibly can.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
It wouldn't surprise me. It's not uncommon for cops in small towns to get bored and ticket every offense they possibly can.
Regardless of the fact that the common person MAY think it is ridiculous or whatever, police can NOT cite you for anything that is within the law.
You break the law, you are wrong, period.

Unlike some posters have stated in other forums (Salt Lake) that it was *acceptable* to drive a few miles over the speed limits, wrong is wrong.

But ....
About a year ago, I turned right *against a red light*, with a *hollywood stop* (barely a full stop). The police pulled me over, he was right behind me, and cited me for doing so. He also noted that one of my brake lights were *out*.
For 7 weeks, I went every week to the station to pay the fine, but each time, I was told that the *ticket was not turned in yet, and to check in *next week*.....
After that, the Lady behind the counter told me that I had enough punishment after 7 weeks checking, and signed the ticket off, but told me to keep it for a year, in case the ticket did get turned in.
She explained that, that particular policeman, often did NOT turn in his *ticket*. She told me that after 7 weeks .....

I still have the ticket and it is framed in my *scrapbook* ...

Old 12-31-2009, 09:35 PM

56 posts, read 230,843 times
Default Too funny!

I read this post this morning, and have seen some of the rants about the police in St. George on Craigslist. I have been watching my speed every where I go, and make a point to try and be as good as I can when it comes to signaling, etc, but................................. I got pulled over tonight, about 9pm to be exact. It was in Ivins, right where the second round-about (the one with the small rock sculpture) is. Nice cop, asked for my licence, registration, etc. I asked why I was being pulled over as nicely as I possibly could. He told me my licence plate light was out, and that I needed to fix it. He also warned me about my tires sticking out just a little passed the fenders, and also about a rag used for a cap in my rear/auxillary gas tank. Then he told me to have a nice evening, and be careful. He also warned that a ton of cops would be out for New Year's eve, so it might happen again. That's all. No ticket, very pleasant, although I admit, I was a little nervous.

I had to share.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttenorman View Post
That's all. No ticket, very pleasant, although I admit, I was a little nervous. I had to share. Happy New Year!
I am glad you shared.
After *my incident*, I have changed my attitude towards *the law*.
I watch my speed, and then my wife kids me by saying: *you look like you are driving a tractor .... everybody is passing you ...*
But then I am in the far right lane ...
I signal ALL the time now, and I make a complete full stop before I turn right.
All the time wondering why the Lady at the station told me to keep the ticket for a year or so, just in case ....

A happy new year to everybody, and *do the right thing* ...

Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttenorman View Post
I read this post this morning, and have seen some of the rants about the police in St. George on Craigslist. I have been watching my speed every where I go, and make a point to try and be as good as I can when it comes to signaling, etc, but................................. I got pulled over tonight, about 9pm to be exact. It was in Ivins, right where the second round-about (the one with the small rock sculpture) is. Nice cop, asked for my licence, registration, etc. I asked why I was being pulled over as nicely as I possibly could. He told me my licence plate light was out, and that I needed to fix it. He also warned me about my tires sticking out just a little passed the fenders, and also about a rag used for a cap in my rear/auxillary gas tank. Then he told me to have a nice evening, and be careful. He also warned that a ton of cops would be out for New Year's eve, so it might happen again. That's all. No ticket, very pleasant, although I admit, I was a little nervous.

I had to share.

Happy New Year!

Ok, I have to ask...(I'm from Missouri)

TIRES STICKING OUT A LITTLE FROM YOUR FENDERS? You mean there's a law about that? What does that matter? My goodness! I guess I'd better get a drivers manual if I'm thinking about moving out there again, huh? I've already read so many laws and ordinances about home ownership that I decided to rent when I head out. Makes me a little paranoid!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 AM

56 posts, read 230,843 times
Default Yup, it's a law.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a law everywhere, though. If it isn't, it's just common courtesey to the people driving behind you. It's in case a rock or something flys off of one of your tires.

It's my understanding that it's legal to have the tires stick out beyond the fenders assuming you have mud flaps, or flares to compensate for a shield, which I did not.

It's an easy fix for me.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
The police and cities will deny it until Kingdom come. However, more tickets are getting written these days. In the past, an offense might have gotten you stopped and warned by the officer. Today, that same offense will get you a ticket. You'll see more "pyramiding" of offenses too. For example, if you get stopped for speeding and can't find your insurance card in your glove box than plan on getting a ticket for driving without insurance.

What's at the bottom of it is really simple. Municipalities are struggling like businesses and individuals are in this recession to make ends meet. I can't prove it, but I'd bet my rearend that police have been told that more of their budget must be paid for through fines from citations. Its either that or face the loss of positions or operating equipment.

Have you ever noticed why so many tickets require you to appear in the local "Justice Court"? There's a very simple reason. If a city sets up a Justice Court it can keep the fines from the citations. If no Justice Court exists, the offender will be required to appear in District Court. Revenues from the fines imposed in the District Court go to the state. Incidentally, Justice Court judges are often non-lawyers with no legal training. Can you guess how an untrained judge might view someone who comes to court expecting due process of law and a real trial?

Its really sad to see this. Every city official, justice court judge, and police officer who participates in this system is helping to destroy respect for the law. People who know what is going on become cynical and skeptical about the police and law enforcement. Destroying respect for the law bears awful consequences down the road. People don't report crime to officials they don't trust.

I've often wondered why the police don't spend more time trying to solve burglaries and other crimes. There's a simple reason. There's no money to collect solving burglaries. On the other hand, traffic citations are a virtually bottomless source of revenue.

Its really a sad situation. We should demand and expect better out of our public officials and authorities than this.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Have you ever noticed why so many tickets require you to appear in the local "Justice Court"?
I haven't, and I doubt other *law abiding citizens*, have'nt either .....

Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
One of the things I take notice of when visiting a city is how well the police
patrol for noise offenders, like these thumping, boom cars. Understandable, during recessions, police jobs are on the potential chopping block, like any other jobs, and to preserve their jobs they're pressured to write more and more tickets during these times.

But what about these boom cars as a source of revenue for the city? In some jursdictions in the U.S. now, the fines can be as high as $3000. Obviously, St. George doesn't take noise that seriously, as I heard any number of these boom cars along St. George Blvd. while I spent two nights there at my motel near Main/Ancestor Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George