Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM

159 posts, read 558,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norris14 View Post
I'm not sure why you had to resurrect a 15-month-old thread and insult a person and call them gross. You certainly can't know them well enough to judge them so well. Other than that, nice info!
Wow... I judged the person on the information they volunteered. I never met Adolf Hitler, or Mother Teresa, so I suppose in your world that makes me unqualified to formulate any opinions about them, either. I'll continue to resurrect old threads whenever I think I have relevant facts & opinions to share, and I'll be pleased if that annoys you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Actually, I'm interested in this thread. The OP says that the restriction is 2 for under .23 of an acre and 4 for property over .23 (1/4 acre). Then a follow up poster says that its 1 acre, not 1/4 acre, and provides a link. The link is dead, so does anyone know which is correct?
Joe, the best thing I can do is give you the link to St George's municipal code -- specifically chapter two, which discusses Animal Control:

Sterling Codifiers, Inc.

Section 5-2-4A6 is the only relevant section I found:

6. Number Permitted; Exception: No person or person at any one dwelling unit, as defined in the zoning ordinance of the city, shall at any one time own or license more than two (2) dogs in any combination, except as otherwise provided herein. Sole exception shall be where the person occupies a dwelling unit with exclusive location on an acre or more of land, or where the dwelling unit adjoins an open space or agricultural zone on at least one side of the property upon which it is located. In the event of an exception, as provided herein, up to four (4) dogs may be allowed at a dwelling unit but no more. The purpose of this subsection is to minimize the health and nuisance effect upon neighbors of keeping dogs, and nothing herein shall waive the requirement of full compliance with all other provisions of this chapter or the city nuisance ordinance. Because of the difficulty of keeping record of dog ownership, the issuance of a dog license by the city to more than the permitted number of dogs shall in no way waive the city's right to require compliance with the provisions of this subsection. (Ord. 12-1-1990, 12-13-1990)

Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 PM

28 posts, read 113,054 times
Well, I did say you provided good info, didn't I? I just didn't think the attack was necessary. Go on doing what you do. I know I have no influence. I don't get annoyed easily, but I hope you can be pleased by life in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahooligan View Post
Wow... I judged the person on the information they volunteered. I never met Adolf Hitler, or Mother Teresa, so I suppose in your world that makes me unqualified to formulate any opinions about them, either. I'll continue to resurrect old threads whenever I think I have relevant facts & opinions to share, and I'll be pleased if that annoys you.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:53 AM

325 posts, read 962,585 times
Quote:
Joe, the best thing I can do is give you the link to St George's municipal code -- specifically chapter two, which discusses Animal Control:

Sterling Codifiers, Inc.

Section 5-2-4A6 is the only relevant section I found:

6. Number Permitted; Exception: No person or person at any one dwelling unit, as defined in the zoning ordinance of the city, shall at any one time own or license more than two (2) dogs in any combination, except as otherwise provided herein. Sole exception shall be where the person occupies a dwelling unit with exclusive location on an acre or more of land, or where the dwelling unit adjoins an open space or agricultural zone on at least one side of the property upon which it is located. In the event of an exception, as provided herein, up to four (4) dogs may be allowed at a dwelling unit but no more. The purpose of this subsection is to minimize the health and nuisance effect upon neighbors of keeping dogs, and nothing herein shall waive the requirement of full compliance with all other provisions of this chapter or the city nuisance ordinance. Because of the difficulty of keeping record of dog ownership, the issuance of a dog license by the city to more than the permitted number of dogs shall in no way waive the city's right to require compliance with the provisions of this subsection. (Ord. 12-1-1990, 12-13-1990)
Thanks. Personally, I have found that two dogs is easier than one, but three is not easier than two. However, three years ago we jumped from two to three Bulldogs due to a rescue situation (all three were rescues) and now that we lost the oldest two weeks ago, have realized that we wouldn't have traded the experience for all the tea in China.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 AM

148 posts, read 459,056 times
I don't know the answer to the dogs per land space question, but I'd like to mention that our HOA limits "total pets" to two or less! I don't favor this. Remember to check your subdivision rules, no matter what the city or county says.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Thanks. Personally, I have found that two dogs is easier than one, but three is not easier than two. However, three years ago we jumped from two to three Bulldogs due to a rescue situation (all three were rescues) and now that we lost the oldest two weeks ago, have realized that we wouldn't have traded the experience for all the tea in China.
I know what you mean. I have FIVE dogs. While I love them all & they're all well-cared for, have the run of the house, etc. the reality is that any more than two or three has a negative impact on my personal quality of life -- hard to just go on a weekend road-trip, etc. because 5 is just too many for one person to safely & properly manage outside of our home, despite me being a trainer, etc.

All but one were dogs that had major aggression issues at a shelter I volunteered at, so I individually fostered them & they made great progress, but the shelter was unwilling to risk adopting them out (despite a great track record I had) due to the original severity of their fear-aggression & as a result, either I adopted them myself, or the shelter would kill ('euthanize' wouldn't have been an appropriate term) them. So real simple decision for me & no regrets, but 5 dogs now means no more saving-lives by fostering/rehabilitating/adopting-out other needy cases, and no vacations. That sucks, but hopefully I'll get some good karma points...

ANYWAY... I'd love to hear the communities around here articulate exactly how & why they came up with the two-dog limit. I've lived in much more densely-packed cities that had a higher number limit. Sadly, it could be something as simple as some physician or vet 40 years ago giving a personal opinion that the dog limit should be two, and other local communities simply copied that.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 20,123 times
2 dogs is PLENTY..I can barely handle one for more than a couple days..

Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Something just dawned on me...

It's highly amusing that most cities here in SW Utah have for some reason gone to the time & effort to impose a two-dog per home limit, yet the predominant religion/culture (LDS) -- which I believe would be the faith of most of the city councils that approve such ordinances -- encourages a husband & wife to have as many children as they reasonably can!

There's a dichotomy in that. The same logic they used to come up with a two-dog limit (hygiene, space, noise, etc.) could certainly be extended to apply to human children.

I hope I never get busted with my 'full-quiver" (that's apparently LDS-speak for 5 offspring) of dogs, but if I do, you'll hear about it because I'll sue the community, arguing that the ordinance should also apply to human kids in a dwelling!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBlawrence View Post
2 dogs is PLENTY..I can barely handle one for more than a couple days..
I'm glad that you have learned & accepted your personal limitations, EB.

*Assuming* someone knows how to get dogs trained, and provide them with calm leadership, two dogs are perfect because they provide each-other with a good portion of the companionship & stimulation that they need on a daily basis, whereas just one dog will get bored & possibly resort to improper (destructive) outputs for his or her energy -- barking, chewing on furniture, etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Something just dawned on me...

It's highly amusing that most cities here in SW Utah have for some reason gone to the time & effort to impose a two-dog per home limit, yet the predominant religion/culture (LDS) -- which I believe would be the faith of most of the city councils that approve such ordinances -- encourages a husband & wife to have as many children as they reasonably can!

There's a dichotomy in that. The same logic they used to come up with a two-dog limit (hygiene, space, noise, etc.) could certainly be extended to apply to human children.

I hope I never get busted with my 'full-quiver" (that's apparently LDS-speak for 5 offspring) of dogs, but if I do, you'll hear about it because I'll sue the community, arguing that the ordinance should also apply to human kids in a dwelling!
.......couldn't agree more....... I'll take a neighbor with 5 dogs anytime vs one with 5 "rug-rats". And as far as "having 5 wives" as some of a certain 'religious persuasion' are rumored to have.............I'll pass on that situation......."life is way too short"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George