U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM

15 posts, read 46,442 times

Advertisements

Hm, okay....so we are looking at the possiblity of moving to St. George. We don't know how great the possibility yet, but it's good to look at all your options (if you can't tell....I am a planner).

I know a good amount about the area already, like hiking, biking, outdoor fun, (heaven for us!), the heat, the shopping, the predominately mormon culture, etc. What I have questions about are the home market, schools, and costs of living.

So, what is the home market like? We would like to buy a newer home...but they seem quite pricey for a place that doesn't pay very high. It has to be larger than we live in now (1600sq. ft.). Also, are there certain home builders that are of better quality then others? I don't want a cheaply built and insulated home that'll cost me a fortune to cool in the summer. What is the yard situation like? How big? Spacious? Or do you reach out the window and touch your neighbors house?

What about schools? I saw a link I believe on one of these forums for a site that gave you school ratings but I have not been able to find it again. I'm looking at elementary schools...what are we looking at being the best school(s)?

Also, what are property taxes and such like around there? I can't imagine very low with the cost of the homes to begin with.

Are there homes for rent around there?

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 PM

4,322 posts, read 8,269,946 times
I can only give you my perspective. I am moving there this year. Bought a house in Coral Canyon a year ago, 1600 sq feet and very reasonable. Our taxes are 1,300 a year.
Gorgeous area. You will love it.
There are many, many homes to rent. We had no problem renting ours until we moved there.
Jobs are hard to come by so it would be wise to have employement lined up.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George