U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 23,570 times

Advertisements

We are a family from Maryland, originally New Jersey and have been wanting to move west for some time. We are thinking of the St George area after lots of research and I had some questions - hoping some folks from the area can help me out. We are non LDS but I know that's been beat to death so I'm not even going to go there. If we do take the plunge we'll have to hope our sparkling personalities win you over. We love the outdoors and a dry desert climate, but are looking for an area where temps drop in the winter.

Do most communities have HOA dues? I can't seem to find much info on this when searching real estate listings. If so, what do they typically run?

How much is homeowners insurance? We've pd $450 a year in NJ and $1350 a year in MD - wondering where Utah fits in.

We are currently well and septic and haven't paid a water or sewer bill in awhile, what do they typically run?

Any other thoughts/advice on moving to the area? We are looking at St George vs the Montrose/Grand Junction area of Colorado, which we are are familiar with, while we've never been to St George (although we plan a a facting finding trip in the next month or so if we are still leaning that way). If anyone is familiar with both areas and can do a compairson, that would be fantastic!

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM

20 posts, read 49,055 times
I would move to grand junction because I have never been to St george and cannot on what it is like their. When visiting Grand junction I thought it was a very nice place.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 AM

146 posts, read 421,688 times
Montrose is way more isolated and colder.I have friends there and they love it, but get bored.
Grand Junction is nice, has vineyards, closer to good skiing, comparable outdoor opportunities but bigger rivers, more developed mountains.
St. George is a retirement/resort golf area, very nice, close to Vegas, not as granola as Junction.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM

4,322 posts, read 8,261,017 times
I just moved to St. George. I am from Northern Utah orignally. You must visit St. George. One look at the beauty of the area (if you like the desert, red rock type of scenery) it will win you over. It did me. My home is in Coral Canyon and the HOA fees are $43 a month....amazing to me. My homeowners insurance is approx $400 a year. Not sure about your other questions. The Ivins area outside of St. George is breathtaking. It is a little farther from shopping however. There is a diversity with the people there. It was known as a retirement area but people of all ages live there. A great time to buy a home too, as the economy took its toll on the area. You are close to Zion Park, which I just viisted and was blown away how beautiful it was. It does get very, very hot. If you don't like hot weather it wouldnt be for you. I do love Colorado though and Grand Junction is beautiful also.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 AM

99 posts, read 274,522 times
Our property tax is pretty low also. My house in Santa Clara Heights which cost me $250,000 was running $1300 a year.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:03 PM

24 posts, read 98,296 times
We moved from Westminster, Maryland to St. George to retire and love it. No SNOW! Only hot in June-August but again no snow. We used to have a septic and well in Maryland and I was always worried that one would break or the well run dry. Also I could not stand the humidity in Maryland along with the ticks, leaves to rake and high taxes. Our HOA is $132 but worth every penny as we have use of the community center and swim pool (indoor and outdoor), hot tub and exercise room. We were so happy to get out of Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George