U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 AM

55 posts, read 224,089 times

Advertisements

To any of you locals out there (or those who have been there a while and know the good/bad areas) I am out of state, and unfamiliar of what areas to avoid (or that are more desirable) - I found a rental home on the internet that I am considering, but am not sure if its in a bad area. The subdivision is called Royal Oaks - the realtor said it was 2 blocks from Dixie Elementary school. I am not sure if this would be an o.k. area ?

Another place I am considering is in a subdivision called Olive Grove (S. Dixie Dr.) ?? Do you know anything about that ?

How would you say either of these would compare to Ivins (this is where I am looking at some other possibilities for a rental home).

If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it !!

Last edited by Vangel; 05-13-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 PM

127 posts, read 328,258 times
I live near Royal Oaks, which I believe is an older area than Olive Grove (judging from the map and sales info) although I haven't been to Olive Grove. The Olive Grove homes are probably newer and nicer than in Royal Oaks. Dixie Elem. is a largely Hispanic school. Prices there are more reasonable. Ivins is fine, with a mixture of old and new homes, but far from shopping. There are no bad areas per se in St. George. Olive Grove may have fewer children than Royal Oaks. Some of the rentals in Royal Oaks have gone unattended and unrented or unsold for awhile, but the others are neat. There are walking trails and parks throughout the whole area.

I advise getting pest control to come out before you move in, as this is the bug season!

I've been in Paradise Canyon subdivision (came from Calif.,Sacramento area) for five years now. It's a good place, and fairly convenient, but very different overall from CA. There are a few rentals here and a lot of vacation homes.

Sorry I don't have any better specifics.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 PM

4,320 posts, read 8,246,392 times
When I was looking for homes, I was told to stay clear from the Dixie Downs area. I never heard anything bad about any other area. I am not sure but I think Dixie Dr may be in that area. I just moved to Washington outside of St. George, so still trying to find my way around.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 PM

55 posts, read 224,089 times
From what I have heard - the south part of Dixie Drive is actually nice - its the north part that is the bad area you have heard of....

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 12,722 times
There are no bad areas in saint george. Dixie downs is considered the "Ghetto" of Saint George, However, you will see more of a place that resembles Rancho Cucamonga on the Movie "Next Friday". Its NOT a real ghetto, and the homes are nice and mostly new, however there are a few trailer parks, and apartment complexes, however all are upheld to much higher standards then lets say living in a Real "Ghetto". Police presence is High throughout the entire county, so crime is kept quite low.

Saint george in my opinion - there are no "BAD" places to settle.

Dixie downs in my opinion would be a perfectly fine place to settle, and your not cut off from the city. Ivins & Daimond Valley are more remote locations, longer commutes, and even less people. Remember that there will most likley be a culture shock, life here compared to anywhere else... is drastically different, and as time goes by living here it will become more and more apparent.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM

127 posts, read 328,258 times
Robert, I second everything you said. Good post!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 AM

99 posts, read 273,998 times
Its funny how people here think everything is far. Were from San Diego and we would easily drive 20 miles to get to a movies theatre or wherever. But when I moved here I asked people how to get from Sunset Blvd to Walmart and they made it sound like I needed to pack a lunch and bring extra water. Ivins is not far at all from the main part of town if you are from California then you will see what I mean. Yes it takes longer to get around because there is only one freeway unlike California and like they said if your from a bigger city youll see there isnt any bad areas just better areas. We have maybe one murder per year. And I remember a few times that a few younger people who I worked with would say "i hate it the cops bust you for just about anything in this town" And I would say to them GOOD I am glad. Sadly my wife and I were both laidoff and we cant stay here much longer due to lack of work. This town is great if your retired or in the medical industry. If you can get a home in Santa Clara Heights youll be real happy never a problem in my area.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 AM

99 posts, read 273,998 times
The only true bad area is La Verkin and some Hurricane areas. Just type in..Saint George UT Sheriff..under the search line.. and then goto ...washington county sheriffs office...then goto ..Bookings...and this will show you everyone in the Washington County who have been arrested in the last 24hrs...you can see their address and see what areas to stay away from.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:40 AM

11 posts, read 22,521 times
^I did just what you suggested, and out of the 87 booked criminals, 5 were from the Hurricane area, so I'm not sure what can be gleamed from this specifically? One was a criminal mischief/domestic violence case about a block from a place we're considering, and another 2 were an assault/intoxication/drug possession half-mile down highway 9 from the same place. Is the north side of Hurricane (just south of LaVerkin) really that problematic?

https://www.crimereports.com/ also provides a decent summation (interestingly, the city I'm currently in hardly has any incidents listed...ah, that's because my police dept. doesn't contribute data to the site, unlike Hurricane PD).

Last edited by vinnie97; 08-22-2011 at 02:19 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM

8,944 posts, read 8,045,001 times
We moved from st George 4 years ago to be near family.

St George does not have Ghettos as you know them. Anyplace in St George would be considered a good section of larger cities.

Dixie Downs area has a few more Mexicans than other parts of the city, and only in a few apartment complexes. If you have children in school, I would want to live somewhere else in town, as due to more immigrants than other parts of town, it is having to try to educate people that are behind the curve holding back some due to this, not due to the type of people in town.

Go to http:///www.greatschools.org (broken link) to check out the individual schools to find which is best if you have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or