Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 08:12 PM

11 posts, read 24,913 times

Advertisements

I know that there have been previous posts on here about living in UT but I am hoping to get some responses more indicative of the current conditions in the St George Area. My husband suffers from advanced emphysema but a short visit to Las Vegas revealed that the air out there was like a youth elixir for him. He could breathe with an ease that he has not experienced in over 10 years. So..........now we are faced with a move from our home in Madison Wi to one of two areas. Utah or Az. The St George area seemed to have the lowest rent for the most space and temperatures seem like they would be more moderate than the Phoenix area. My husband is disabled but both myself and two of our young adult children who will be moving with will need to find employment. I currently work for a Medicare part b carrier as a claims representative and my daughter is an assistant manager in a local retail store. My son's work background has been primarily warehouse work. Any thoughts or suggestions you can give me on either the St George and surrounding communities or the Phoenix and surrounding areas would be greatly appreciated in regards to employment, quality of life, entertainment ect. I was hoping that with the proximity to Las Vegas perhaps the St George area may be a little more "relaxed" or liberal. My family are non church going and I am a little nervous about some reports of the area being "cliquey".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM

148 posts, read 458,941 times
First, no place in Utah is "liberal". Sorry about that.

Second, St. George is about 2800 feet elevation (higher than Las Vegas), which could make breathing here more difficult than in LV.

Third, employment is sparse.

I heard Phoenix is very smoggy, but I haven't been there in years. Locations up from there are higher, but with presumably cleaner air.My husband also had breathing problems. Altitude of 4,000 plus was a real no-no for him. Dry air can also be hard on lungs, as well as allergies (plenty here in St. Geo.).
It gets really, really hot here in the summer, but early mornings are pleasant. Since we do not have a "moist heat", I can see how your husband would breathe better than in WI.

I would think Las Vegas--or some of the outlying areas--would also be on your possibility list, considering prices and employment.

You really have your hands full. Best wishes to you.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 PM

107 posts, read 326,325 times
The Air Quality in Las Vegas is NOT good. Las Vegas Air Pollution Levels – Poor Air Quality | Henderson Nevada

St. George is better because there is less industry. If you truly want good air quality you need to live where it rains and is near the coast. North Washington has the best air quality but it's a dismal place to live all winter.

You won't find much liberal in St. George. Phoenix doesn't have the best air quality either... but definitely better employment opportunities than Vegas right now. I personally like the Fountain Hills area of Phoenix outside of Scottsdale. If you go North of Phoenix the air seems to be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George