U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:33 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,257,887 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your patience Mauka - I agree, shunned is a poor choice of words. I'm optimistic about a possible St. George move but I really do want to go up to Cedar City as well - who knows, maybe my wife will hit it off with enought Asians to change her mind about CC over ST. George! Remote, I know but hope springs eternal.
I have to say all these exchanges have really made me remnisce about an old Army buddy that was a devout Mormon. He was married and had been on mission to Germany (for two years I believe) after college, was drafted, showed up and served without compliant. We were photo lab techs and went to Viet Nam together. After a few months we were sent to other units and I didn't see or hear from him again. I'm certain he made it home ok according to others that knew him and returned to Salt Lake. I remember him so well as he may have been short in stature but LARGE in heart. If I ever get up to SL I'll try to look him up - I won't be surprised to find him high in the church hierarchy!
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM

146 posts, read 420,400 times
SD,
Live in STG, drive to CC to meet with other Asians. STG is a bigger town and has more to offer for people from out of state and China, is warmer, and will probably give you more anonymity.
Good Luck

Old 10-16-2010, 09:57 AM

286 posts, read 575,185 times
dear social democrat,
i am an american,fourth generation,who objects to your attitude on this first class web site that other americans depend on and enjoy.
los angeles is a great american city,going thru difficult times.how dare you refer to it as a "dump."st.george,utah is another great american city and the people there do not need you.
i lived in st.george in the 60's and enjoyed the seclusion.too many outsiders moved in and it is crowded now.
your negative attitude is not wanted.why not go to bejing or shanghai today and tell them what a dump it is there? I will pay your entire relocation expenses if you leave our great country.
i demand that the administrator take you off this excellent website.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 AM

239 posts, read 829,849 times
Wow, a little harsh there! I think Socialdemocrat has some valid questions and is looking for personal opinions from residents of the area.
He is entitled to his opinion, just as you are.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 33,896 times
Social Democrat,

You may want to try Dixie Regional Medical Center for several Chinese speakers. I know of 4 individuals that are fluent in Chinese, there are two Chinese from Beijing, one Korean from South Korea, and one South African from South Africa that spent a number of years in Taiwan along with his wife. Why do I make the distinction as to their country of origin? You specifically asked for "at least some Chinese speaking Asians around"...May I assume you will find it acceptable if they are not all Asian as in the case of the South Africans, as they are fluent in speaking, reading, and writing in Chinese?

I hope this was helpful

Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,257,887 times
Toby04, thank you for your kind comments. I hadn't checked my post for awhile and see I was missing out on some fun - LOL!

Kane County - I really appreciate the information and no, that a couple of the people you mention are from other countries isn't an issue; that they speak Chinese is the major point. I'll tell my wife about them. We are so tempted by some of the houses we see for sale in SG but my wife is put off by the distance. Of course to me a 7 hour drive to what would be bliss compared to here is nothing to me. My first priority is to have her spend a few days there and see if that sells her on the area.

As for you reddesertfox, my wife says it would cost us about 750K (we will round that up to 1 mil to keep it simple for you) to relocate to Beijing and live in anything remotely approaching what we have now. So, if you can actually pony up the bucks we are open to your offer. I've lost count of how many generations my family has been here (since the 1600's) and have lived in LA for 15 years so yeah, I can refer to it as dump if I want - you know, that freedom of speech thing in some old document called the constitution. Thank you for the laugh, people like you crack me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George