U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2007, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 42,525 times

Advertisements

South county - Affton, Lindbergh, Mehlville school districts fit your needs. The schools are all good and it is safe and family oriented. The parochial schools are outstanding also. My relative teaches at a parochial school in Mehlville. You can find smaller, reasonably priced properties (check out a major realtor's website and you can explore) - but there's a mix and more expensive properties are also there so it helps the value of your less expensive property. I think that the trouble with North County is that it is so close to North City. That is the drive by, murder, high crime, etc. part of the Metro area of St. Louis along with East St. Louis, Illinois. If you border a high crime area, it spills over. Criminals don't turn around at the city border. I would be afraid in most North County areas especially walking or at night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 10:22 PM

38 posts, read 185,270 times
Quote:
I think that the trouble with North County is that it is so close to North City. That is the drive by, murder, high crime, etc. part of the Metro area of St. Louis along with East St. Louis, Illinois. If you border a high crime area, it spills over. Criminals don't turn around at the city border. I would be afraid in most North County areas especially walking or at night.
The thing to remember about North County is that it's bigger than you think. There are some areas of North County that are not so great. But for all the areas that are 'near' North City, just as many are 'near' St. Charles.....

As you can see, North County encompasses many 'cities'. Including..Maryland Heights, St. Ann, Overland, Bridgeton, Berkely, Breckenridge Hills, St. John, Kinloch, Hazelwood, Florissant, Ferguson, Jennings, Bellefountaine Neighbors, Spanish Lake, Moline Acres, Black Jack, Unincorporated St. Louis County, Bridgeton, and many more......The best areas are those north of 270, and west of 367. Many of those areas are very nice. Those would be Maryland Heights, Bridgeton, Hazelwood, Florissant, and parts of unincorporated St. Louis County. The parts that are in the middle.....would be those south of 270, north of Page Ave. and west of 170. Including, St. Ann, Overland, Breckenridge hills, Etc. Towns south of 270 and east of 170 are next.....Berkely, Ferguson, Dellwood, Jennings, as well as Bellefountain Neighbors, Spanish lake etc.. THe worst parts of North County are indeed the ones that along the blue border on the map that is on the southeastern side......The ones that actually border up on the City of St. Louis....and the ones that the Metro link runs thru.....

As for a little bit of a distance guide.....I am at the junction of 270 and 370 in Hazelwood/Florissant....It takes me at least 20 minutes to get to my sister's house in Overland (at page and 170) and 30 minutes to get to Bellefountaine Neighbors....

Yes gangs and crime don't turn around at city borders.....but 30 minutes is a bit of a trip for most......

Old 07-15-2007, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 41,289 times
Smile housing...

Hi! I actually don't live in St. Louis anymore, but I lived there for 10 years (up until last year). There are some great areas there. Affordability may be an issue though. I use dto teach in the Clayton school district which is excellent. Other good areas include Brentwood, Affton, Maplewood, Hazelwood. Someone mentioned Florrisant. I have to tell you that as a teacher I wouldn't send kids to the Florrisant schools. There are some rough ones so you have to be careful. Just don't do the City. City of St. Louis schools are pretty awful, but suburb schools are good. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2007, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 46,948 times
Default we just relo from DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming Billy View Post
We're re-relocating to STL. I've got some ideas about where we want to live but I'd appreciate any suggestions of areas that are good for a family of four on a modest budget. For starters, I don't know much about North County. It always looked OK to me and I heard people are starting to move there again because St. Charles County is so expensive and far away.

Hi Billy, my name is Ronna and my family (of four )just relo from DC. Just to give you my initial impression---we have been here about a month. St. Louis is as expensive as DC suburbs! We live in West county and I cannot believe the prices on the homes. We chose West county for the public schools. I know lots of people do St. Charles----but if you are working downtown the commute will be a nightmare. NO public transport or HOV lanes as in the East Coast. Also, the realtors and mortgage brokers are predicting a housing bubble burst in 12- 18 months. Right now nothing is moving in the market---we are renting for a year.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM

33 posts, read 130,154 times
Hi rollagirl,
I live in Pacific and really like the location, Eureka is also nice along with the other locations you mentioned. The drive out here has the best scenery I have seen in St. Louis and the cost of housing is very reasonable. It is off of 44 which makes for an easy commute to St. Louis. Traveling on 44 puts you around 15 minutes to 270. I have also met many people who live here and work in the Chesterfield area. They take 109 and are there easily. 109 also lets off on Manchester which leads to all of the Wildwood, Ballwin, Ellisville locations pretty quickly. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM

27 posts, read 83,496 times
Charming Billy,

I grew up in North County. I can tell you why locals don't like it. Some info may be politically incorrect, so I'll let the reader draw their own conclusions, and demographical information is readily available on the internet.

Places like Normandy, Ferguson, Berekely, Kinloch, Jennings and Bellefountain Neighbors, Beverly Hills, Spanish Lake and Cool Valley are considered VERY ghetto. A VERY high percentage of public assistance, ie welfare, food stamps, free school lunches. Very low income, youth with their pants down to their ankles hanging out on the streets, high crime and drug activity. Lots of single parent households, section 8, etc. The schools are crappy. 99% of shootings, whether street related, or school related, nearly EVERY house fire is ALWAYS somewhere in North St. Louis County.

Hazelwood and Florissant are the best you're going to find in North County. St. Charles County isn't expensive at all. Don't know where that info comes from. I would not live in St. Charles CITY. I would not live east of highway 70. Houses in St. Charles are every bit as affordable as the ones in North County, especially with the current housing market.

If you want NorthISH County, I would pick Maryland Heights and call it a day. Even Bridgeton is on it's way out. I would avoid St. John, Overland, Charlack and St. Ann too. Anything east of those towns turns into the City of St. Louis.

It really does depend on what your family's priorities are. North County, I must say, has many nice, charming, beautiful streets. The narrower, darker paved roads lined by beautiful greenery. Charming, guaint gridded neighborhoods. It's very lovely to the eye in many places. St. Charles will give you much WIDER streets, the lighter colored pavement, brighter, bigger views, etc. I call it Marshmallow Land. It is MUCH more suburban that North County.

My heart will always belong to North County, as I grew up there, but I would NEVER live there again. I drove through it last night though, and was very pleasantly surprised to see how well kept it looked.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 PM

70 posts, read 136,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahnster View Post
My heart will always belong to North County, as I grew up there, but I would NEVER live there again. I drove through it last night though, and was very pleasantly surprised to see how well kept it looked.
What an odd post.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,980,775 times
Most of this post shows you to be all-around full of inaccurate stereotypes.

But just in case anyone considered taking what you said seriously, you left us with this gem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahnster View Post
I would not live east of highway 70.
I-70 runs east/west, so not living east of it would provide quite the commute to the city -- ya know like Western Utah where I-70 terminates. I knew sprawl had gotten bad out in St. Chuck, but that's just a whole new level

Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 31,076 times
If you're going to live in North County the Western part is the best part. I live in Ballwin, Missouri and don't make a lot of money and it's very safe here. South County and can for sure be affordable as well.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 17,117 times
Just for the record, most locals don't think of Maryland Heights as north county. If you're looking for affordability, suburban sprawl, safety, but within a close proximity to the city, go with south county. If you are looking for the picturesque suburban life and you have plenty of money, west county is just that. However, if you want to live in St. Louis CITY, there are some great neighborhoods in south city that can provide you and your family with a great house, yard, and all the cultural advantages to living in the city. The downside: you'll have to do the magnet/charter/private school thing. The neighborhood zone public schools aren't accredited in the city, so obviously you'd have to be creative in your quest for education.

There are lots of really great places to raise a kid in the city--I wouldn't even look at north county. Many north county schools are just as bad as the city schools, and since north county is often blight and lacks the urban vibrancy you get in th city, there really isn't any advantage to living there.

Also, if you aren't too financially strapped and want to commit to neither full-fledged city life nor county life, try University City or Clayton. They have great schools and are close enough to the city to feel as though they are the city--but much safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis