U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,730,921 times

Advertisements

North County is safe however i would avoid belfountaine neighbors and Jennings. North County is fairly cheap and has many good school districts like hazelwood and pattonville. South County is okay too but if your looking for some vibrancy i'd say live in kirkwood or sunset hills. Some other good areas in the county are Olivette, U city, Florissant and Maryland heights.

For the city Crondolet, Tower Grove Area, Soulard, Benton Park Area and Central West end are relatively safe and inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 PM

7,041 posts, read 5,072,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
North County is safe however i would avoid belfountaine neighbors and Jennings. North County is fairly cheap and has many good school districts like hazelwood and pattonville. South County is okay too but if your looking for some vibrancy i'd say live in kirkwood or sunset hills. Some other good areas in the county are Olivette, U city, Florissant and Maryland heights.

For the city Crondolet, Tower Grove Area, Soulard, Benton Park Area and Central West end are relatively safe and inexpensive.
I've lived here my whole life and I've never heard the term "vibrancy" used to describe Sunset Hills prior to now.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
^Or Hazelwood described as having good schools for that matter. Passable? perhaps. Vaguely acceptable? I suppose. Good? I don't think so.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,661,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Or Hazelwood described as having good schools for that matter. Passable? perhaps. Vaguely acceptable? I suppose. Good? I don't think so.

However when compared to St. Louis City, they're ivy league. Just said to rile you a bit.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post

I'd agree that North County is pretty safe, at least overall. There are pockets of North County I wouldn't live in, just as there are pockets of South City, U-City, and St. Charles I wouldn't live in. The Pattonville school district that serves Bridgeton, Maryland Heights, and St. Ann would be considered pretty decent, it isn't Parkway however, but you can receive a good education there. Hazelwood West High School isn't bad, but doesn't rank as well as Pattonville High, Hazelwood Central is a little less desirable however passable, and I'd avoid Hazelwood East if possible. As stated, I'd avoid Jennings, and am not a huge fan of Belfountaine Neighbors however they do have a nice housing stock. Fergeson is on a nice upward trend, but still has a ways to go before you can call the "battle" won, and some of the surrounding areas (specifically Berkley) will always been threatening to hold the city back. And for Maryland Heights, the people there really don't consider themselves North County, infact I believe they consider it West County...but that's all in semantics.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:00 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
However when compared to St. Louis City, they're ivy league. Just said to rile you a bit.
Not riled But, it really does depend. Some HW schools are actually pretty OK when you look at test scores, but HW East has some of the lowest test scores I've ever seen, and in some cases are lower than some of the general matriculation city schools.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,778,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I'd agree that North County is pretty safe, at least overall. There are pockets of North County I wouldn't live in, just as there are pockets of South City, U-City, and St. Charles I wouldn't live in. The Pattonville school district that serves Bridgeton, Maryland Heights, and St. Ann would be considered pretty decent, it isn't Parkway however, but you can receive a good education there. Hazelwood West High School isn't bad, but doesn't rank as well as Pattonville High, Hazelwood Central is a little less desirable however passable, and I'd avoid Hazelwood East if possible. As stated, I'd avoid Jennings, and am not a huge fan of Belfountaine Neighbors however they do have a nice housing stock. Fergeson is on a nice upward trend, but still has a ways to go before you can call the "battle" won, and some of the surrounding areas (specifically Berkley) will always been threatening to hold the city back. And for Maryland Heights, the people there really don't consider themselves North County, infact I believe they consider it West County...but that's all in semantics.
I was in Charlack earlier in the week, and I would have to list this place as well as a place I would avoid. I did not see anything redeeming about it.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM

I'd avoid Charlack as well....Once you get North of Olive Blvd, things along the I-170 corridor become hit or miss, with an awful lot of miss. Charlack is one of those locations as far as I'm concerned, when I was house shopping I remember what looked like a cute little home on the edge of Charlack and Overland which had been on the market for more than 400 days . Initially I thought it's Charlack location was holding it back (and that might be partially true) what else was holding it back was that every room was tilting in a different direction...and the steps gave you a MAJOR funhouse effect.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,165,943 times
Isn't Pasadena Hills supposed to be nice? The pics online look gorgeous.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,175,638 times
Pasadena Hills is astonishingly nice. Due to it's location it had previously been a bit of a deterrent for me- but my husband and I checked out a house there and I was in awe at the neighborhood. Unfortunately the garage wasn't big enough for my husband and Pasadena Hills is strict about extensions and aesthetics for any outbuildings and properties. If the garage had been big enough, we would have bought there in a heartbeat.

If you find something on the market in your price range in Pasadena Hills, I would DEFINITELY check it out. With that said however, I don't know what the school district is like, although there are some private schools close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or