Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 PM

14 posts, read 80,347 times

Advertisements

We're re-relocating to STL. I've got some ideas about where we want to live but I'd appreciate any suggestions of areas that are good for a family of four on a modest budget. For starters, I don't know much about North County. It always looked OK to me and I heard people are starting to move there again because St. Charles County is so expensive and far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 04:06 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
North County is about the only really affordable place left on the Missouri side of St. Louis.

Wanting affordability basically rules out West Count and South County (the South is more affordable than West)

Of course the Illinois side is more affordable but you get nailed with extremely high taxes.

If you are looking for affordable close to St. Louis and a nice neighborhood, it is going to be tough to find.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:48 PM

238 posts, read 331,779 times
Affordability is a relative term. I live in a 975 square foot house in Oakville (far south county) and it is on the market at $155,000. Last night I looked at the MLS in Ballwin (West County) and saw houses similar to mine @ $170,000. I don't know that the $15,000 would make that big a difference if Ballwin was where I really wanted to live.

Depending upon the area, I'd say that a house similar in a comparable area of north county would probably run in the $140,000's.

I own a real estate and mortgage company and if you would like additional information on the areas check out my profile and click on my web site. If you would like to talk, drop me a line.

Bob Mitchell
ValueList

Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 PM

29 posts, read 122,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueList View Post
Affordability is a relative term. I live in a 975 square foot house in Oakville (far south county) and it is on the market at $155,000. Last night I looked at the MLS in Ballwin (West County) and saw houses similar to mine @ $170,000. I don't know that the $15,000 would make that big a difference if Ballwin was where I really wanted to live.

Depending upon the area, I'd say that a house similar in a comparable area of north county would probably run in the $140,000's.

I own a real estate and mortgage company and if you would like additional information on the areas check out my profile and click on my web site. If you would like to talk, drop me a line.

Bob Mitchell
ValueList
What about places farther out like Pacific and Gray Summit, or House Springs and the like?

Old 06-29-2007, 03:39 PM

270 posts, read 655,822 times
The areas locals generally refer to as North County has one of the highest crime rates in the country. You don't want to live there at any cost, even if the housing were free.

I suggest renting in SOUth County or Webster or Maybe Edwardsville, IL.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 PM

38 posts, read 262,195 times
I live in North County. Specifically the Hazelwood/Florissant area. I have been born and raised here so to speak. My lil sis and her family live in Overland/St. Ann area.

What exactly are you looking for as far as housing costs --- approximate range? How old are your kiddo's? There are some areas of North County I would stay away from as the schooling is a little 'rougher' and the neighborhoods are not as great.....but there are plenty of good spots here also...

Here in Hazelwood, you can get a 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch for around $100,000. And that would be a decent one (sure some of the houses are nicer and cost a heftier price tag $350,000 at the high end) but there are still some nice older homes that have been well maintained (1970's) in a reasonably affordable price range.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 AM

14 posts, read 80,347 times
sixtwobaldguy,

Actually towns like Florissant have a lower crime rate than St. Charles City, where I used to live. You can check it out City Data.

deadliestformula,

My kids are 2 and 4. We'll probably send them to private school if we can afford it. My house price range is 100,000-150,000. Maybe higher, but I'm a cheapskate.

Like I said, I've lived in St Charles City (my wife's from there) and worked in O'Fallon, MO; and also I've lived for several years in South St. Louis and worked in West County. So I'm familiar with the St. Louis area. However, I don't know much about North County/Florissant/Hazelwood etc.

I know that some locals have a problem with the whole North County area. Of course there are some bad parts. But Florissant, for instance, looks nice enough to me. Same goes for St. Ann/Overland. Some locals have told me it's a bad area but I've been there and I don't see what the big problem is.

I'm guess I'm just trying to find out why some locals knock these areas. Do they know something I don't?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 21,813 times
Depending on where you work, the Wentzville area is a great place to be now. Housing is very reasonable, and the school district is great. Easy to get to 61/40 or I-70.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming Billy View Post
sixtwobaldguy,

Actually towns like Florissant have a lower crime rate than St. Charles City, where I used to live. You can check it out City Data.

deadliestformula,

My kids are 2 and 4. We'll probably send them to private school if we can afford it. My house price range is 100,000-150,000. Maybe higher, but I'm a cheapskate.

Like I said, I've lived in St Charles City (my wife's from there) and worked in O'Fallon, MO; and also I've lived for several years in South St. Louis and worked in West County. So I'm familiar with the St. Louis area. However, I don't know much about North County/Florissant/Hazelwood etc.

I know that some locals have a problem with the whole North County area. Of course there are some bad parts. But Florissant, for instance, looks nice enough to me. Same goes for St. Ann/Overland. Some locals have told me it's a bad area but I've been there and I don't see what the big problem is.

I'm guess I'm just trying to find out why some locals knock these areas. Do they know something I don't?
St. Ann and Overland use the Ritoner (sp) schools. I personally don't care much for them. They were that way when I was in the school system (graduated 1997 from Hazelwood schools). The housing in Overland and St Ann is alot of smaller homes or older homes. (brick and plaster walls) nothing wrong with them at all. I will say that in general, MOST of the neighborhoods in Overland/St. Ann are a little more towards the lower end of middle class or the higher end of lower class. If that makes sense. There are alot of blue collar workers (not a bad thing). I wouldn't send my son to a RItonor school personally. My sister sends her 8yr old daughter and 6 yr old son. THe kids like it, but she doesn't and is trying to move to a better neighborhood.

I think you would do well in the Florissant/Hazelwood area. I do like it here and you could easily find a good home in your price range. I have lived and worked here just about all my life....

My son currently attends Russell Elementary the same school I did. I enjoyed it, as does he. The Hazelwood elementary schools are rated very well, and are blue ribbon award winners. The schools have an excellent gifted program as well as an integration program that includes children with learning disabilities. As far as High School and Middle School go, I would stay within the Hazelwood West district, as the East and Central high schools are a bit rougher....

There is plenty of easy access near here to just about everywhere, as you are minutes away from highways 370 (to st. charles) and 70 (st charles or downtown) and 170. THe stores are clean and neat and nearby, there are lots of good churches (if that is your thing) and the parks are well maintained. THe community centers have a big todo at Halloween (haunted house for the little ones) and lots of great summer activities (one of my favorites is watching JAWS on a projection screen just after dark at the local pool!) The head start program (an educational program run by parents as teachers) is exceptional. My son LOOOVED it! It is in a clean little school, and they do a lot of fun stuff. Its a 3 hour per day program and its free.....

If I can help with explaining the area at all just let me know........I will be glad to help.....

Old 07-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
The areas locals generally refer to as North County has one of the highest crime rates in the country. You don't want to live there at any cost, even if the housing were free.

I suggest renting in SOUth County or Webster or Maybe Edwardsville, IL.

Are you sure you don't mean NORTH CITY????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis