Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM

308 posts, read 425,737 times

Advertisements

I know that this has been mentioned in other threads but I have to admit, as a St. Louisan I do look down on the Metro East. I have to be honest, I just do. I mean, I have several really good friends from college that are from there and I don't look down on them but in general my first impression of someone from the Metro East is not as favorable as someone from the Missouri side. And I can honestly say that I would never move over there.

If you are from the Missouri side, do you do this as well, even if just a little?

If you are from the Illinois side, do you experience people from the MO side looking down on you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM

78 posts, read 240,466 times
I grew up on the Illinois side and now live on the Missouri side. I probably felt the same way you did growing up, only in reverse. It still feels weird to take metrolink west after cardinal game.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,667,522 times
I'm pretty unfamiliar with the IL side. Nobody I know lives there, although I have a few friends originally from Alton, Edwardsville, and Belleville. The only thing I've really done there is the horse race track. I'm not the type to judge where someone grew up or currently lives--for a while, I didn't have a clue what all the county stereotypes were.

I do, however, see the bridge traffic all the time, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 AM

168 posts, read 669,705 times
I grew up in the Metro East and now that I've moved away I can honestly tell you that living there was great. There are alot of genuinely nice communities that offer alot to anyone interested. The MO side has its nice areas as well. Having worked in MO for a few years before I moved away I did experience what the OP mentioned. It seemed that many ppl looked down on the IL side w/out ever visiting.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,870,414 times
There are some very nice parts of the metro east. It gets a bad rep from folks on the Missouri side who assume it is all strip clubs or like East St. Louis. In fact, it has a nice transit system, is very connected to Metrolink, has one of the areas largest employers (Scott AFB), and has a plethora of nice communities.

On the flipside, most St. Louis area employers, universities, and attractions are on the MO side which means people from Illinois probably come over to the Missouri side more often than the inverse.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,750,792 times
I looked down on it, rightly or wrongly. But I was simply a transplant from another region who was obsessed with being STL-city person when living there.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:00 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,521,715 times
I think the Metro East got somewhat of a "rough" reputation many years ago, which has in part remained. This stemmed from the "wild" factor (strip clubs, horse racing), the pollution/odors (from the old stockyards, the steel mill, the refineries, Monsanto, etc.), and of course East St Louis, which has always been rife with major problems and controversy.
But especially today, Metro East can claim so much more than factories and strip clubs. There are many wonderful communities in which to raise a family. There are solid educational institutions like SIU and BAC, great historic sites, major employers like Scott AFB, and much more.
I choose to live in the city; but if I had to live in a suburban area, I'd have no problem choosing a location on the East Side. (Especially after the new Mississippi River bridge is built!)

Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,778,959 times
How do I view the Metro East? "Under-developed."

There are some nice towns and communities and some not so nice ones. However, the big negative for me is lack of development immediately East of the River to the North, Central and South of downtown St. Louis.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,482,310 times
Having just been divorced and letting my wonderful daughter and ex-wife take our house in Creve Coeur, I have moved to Edwardsville, IL to be near my new young and active girlfriend and, I must say, the overall vibe here is wonderfully more pleasant than it was in St. Louis County/City. People here say "Hello," "Good Morning," they smile, they hold the door. Hard to find that in the paranoid, self-absorbed narrow-minded climate across the river in STL City/County.

Just speaking for Edwardsville, it's young, clean and vibrant.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,482,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
How do I view the Metro East? "Under-developed."

There are some nice towns and communities and some not so nice ones. .

The same could easily be said for St. Louis County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis