U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:19 AM

153 posts, read 10,191 times
Default Moving Back Need Help!

I grew up in O'Fallon back in the 70's and early 80's. Now I am moving back to the St. Louis area. I got divorced two years ago and everthing was fine my son would come to New York and stay with me for the weekends and a couple of weeks during the summer. It has become tough for my son, age 4, to be traveling back and fourth from New York to St. Louis every weekend. I now work mostly from home and now own a small company back-up generator company in Maryland Heights. So I have decided to pack my bags and move back home.
I am searching for a more suburban lifestyle. My son lives with his mom and her husband in Creve Coeur. I would like to live somewhere with nice parks, good theaters (movie & play), nice art institutes and museums, and quiet tree lined streets. I would like to be within 35 minute drive from my company headquarters in Maryland Heights, 15 to 30 minute drive from Creve Coeur, 10 minutes to The Wilson School, and 20 to 40 minutes from Downtown St. Louis. I would like to be within walking distance to a nice quaint shopping district or something. I am also interested in a neighborhood that my son can bike ride, or roller blade, in without being bothered or me woried about crime problems. I am single, so of course I am thinking about getting back on the dating scene, so I want to be close to good single hangouts. My price range is 2 to 3 million, doesn't mean I have to spend 2 million cheaper is actually better.
I also unfortunately do not know much about my son's school so if anyone could tell me things about The Wilson School, I would much appreciate it. Things like Sports and Academics are important to me. I would like to phase him into public schools in Middle & High School so a good public school system would be nice.
I have been considering Clayton, Brentwood, and Creve Coeur.

Last edited by homewifeev; 06-21-2007 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Smile Looking in a new location.

I found this nice suburb close to everything called Ladue. If anyone knows about the neighborhoods, home prices, and school districts it would be helpful.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:47 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,703,009 times
That's a good place to start looking. Clayton may also fit your needs,
Check it out.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:03 AM

2,153 posts, read 3,465,237 times
Anything in West County is pretty much nice.

If I were you I would look in Chesterfield and Ladue.

As for Ladue, for the most part houses are very expensive. Not sure what price range you are looking in though.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:44 AM

Once again 2 to 3 million.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:21 PM

29 posts, read 83,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsnCards View Post
I grew up in O'Fallon back in the 70's and early 80's. Now I am moving back to the St. Louis area. I got divorced two years ago and everthing was fine my son would come to New York and stay with me for the weekends and a couple of weeks during the summer. It has become tough for my son, age 4, to be traveling back and fourth from New York to St. Louis every weekend. I now work mostly from home and now own a small company back-up generator company in Maryland Heights. So I have decided to pack my bags and move back home.
I am searching for a more suburban lifestyle. My son lives with his mom and her husband in Creve Coeur. I would like to live somewhere with nice parks, good theaters (movie & play), nice art institutes and museums, and quiet tree lined streets. I would like to be within 35 minute drive from my company headquarters in Maryland Heights, 15 to 30 minute drive from Creve Coeur, 10 minutes to The Wilson School, and 20 to 40 minutes from Downtown St. Louis. I would like to be within walking distance to a nice quaint shopping district or something. I am also interested in a neighborhood that my son can bike ride, or roller blade, in without being bothered or me woried about crime problems. I am single, so of course I am thinking about getting back on the dating scene, so I want to be close to good single hangouts. My price range is 2 to 3 million, doesn't mean I have to spend 2 million cheaper is actually better.
I also unfortunately do not know much about my son's school so if anyone could tell me things about The Wilson School, I would much appreciate it. Things like Sports and Academics are important to me. I would like to phase him into public schools in Middle & High School so a good public school system would be nice.
I have been considering Clayton, Brentwood, and Creve Coeur.

2 million.... what kind of work do you do?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,663,523 times
St. Louis is a car place, that hasn't changed unfortunately. There is Metrolink, but it doesn't serve burbs.

If you want suburban life, you will sacrifice your walking distance stuff...however can have short drives to some of that. The city would better come close to some of your interests.

However, for public schools, it does not. Ladue, Clayton are close in suburbs with good schools, Chesterfield, Creve Coeur are further out but also good schools.

I'd say Ladue or Clayton for your interests.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,703,009 times
I just had a thought...you should explore the central west end area. If nothing else you will enjoy the experience.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 PM

I have been doing more research it seems that Clayton may be more appealing. I am having a hard time finding any old homes in Ladue. I don't mind new homes, but I prefer older renovated homes. I also have found a lot of 30 to 40 year old homes which lack character. Is there any reason I should prefer Ladue over other places? Clayton seems like it has more to do. How are Clayton schools? Does Clayton have urban style issues, like crime or school diversity? Is Clayton a congested suburb? What is Clayton's population? Can someone compare Clayton and Ladue? Thanks Again!

Does anyone know about the Clayton neighborhood Brentmoor Park?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:43 PM

51 posts, read 81,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsnCards View Post
I have been doing more research it seems that Clayton may be more appealing. I am having a hard time finding any old homes in Ladue. I don't mind new homes, but I prefer older renovated homes. I also have found a lot of 30 to 40 year old homes which lack character. Is there any reason I should prefer Ladue over other places? Clayton seems like it has more to do. How are Clayton schools? Does Clayton have urban style issues, like crime or school diversity? Is Clayton a congested suburb? What is Clayton's population? Can someone compare Clayton and Ladue? Thanks Again!

Does anyone know about the Clayton neighborhood Brentmoor Park?
RamsnCards - you really should be able to find a beautiful, renovated old home in Ladue or Clayton - both of those communities are full of homes just like that. And, I believe the reason people have suggested you look there is because that is one of the few places in greater St. Louis that you can manage to spend 2 to 3 million dollars on a house. We are talking about St. Louis - not New York - right? My impression is that Clayton schools are better. But if you can afford a 2 million dollar house, you can afford to send your kids to private school - John Burroughs, or one of the many Catholic schools in Ladue/Creve Coeur/Brentwood. (And you don't have to be Catholic - I'm not and I went to a private Catholic school.)

It's a great city - enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis