U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 AM

51 posts, read 69,273 times

Advertisements

I just moved to St. Louis (University City) two weeks ago and am loving it so far! Been doing lots of exploring...

I wanted to solicit your personal opinions about where you go for "The Best ____ in St. Louis." What do you think about these?

1) The best BBQ in St. Louis
2) The best buffalo wings in St. Louis
3) The best pizza in St. Louis
4) The best Italian restaurant in St. Louis
5) The best (most affordable?) movie theater in St. Louis
6) The best music store (instruments, supplies) in St. Louis
7) The best place to hike within an hour of St. Louis

Or if you've got your own "Best of" list, I'd love to learn from you!
Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM

78 posts, read 156,042 times
I've got a few favorites:

Pappy's Smokehouse

That's tough, my personal favorite now is probably Dewey's

Gian Tony's

Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,131,462 times
Pappys or The Shaved Duck
Not sure
Black Thorn-South City
Frank and Helens-University City
Cunettos
The Moolah-You have to check it out, next is The Chase, followed by The Tivoli
6) The best music store (instruments, supplies) in St. Louis-Not sure about this one
Castlewood State Park

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,304,230 times
The best theater is the Moolah Theater and Lounge. Hands down.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,157,313 times
1) The best BBQ in St. Louis Phil's in Affton. It's an absolutely disgusting, dingy place but the food is choice.

2) The best buffalo wings in St. Louis Believe it or not I liked Caleco's wings. Most of their other food sucks, but the wings are really good.

3) The best pizza in St. Louis Since Pizzeria Uno closed down , Cicero's, A Better Pizza (O'Fallon, MO), or Pi.

4) The best Italian restaurant in St. Louis Rigazzi's

5) The best (most affordable?) movie theater in St. Louis Aren't they all pretty homogenous? The last movie I saw was Iron Man 2 at St. Louis Mills and it was fine.

6) The best music store (instruments, supplies) in St. Louis

Drum Headquarters, Maplewood

Katy Trail. Awesome in the fall.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:49 PM

711 posts, read 1,290,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
5) The best (most affordable?) movie theater in St. Louis Aren't they all pretty homogenous? The last movie I saw was Iron Man 2 at St. Louis Mills and it was fine.
Spoken by someone who has apparently never been to the Moolah or the Chase Park Plaza.

I was never a big BBQ fan until I discovered Pappy's Smokehouse. I absolutely love it and try to get there once a week with the wife who also loves it. It wins almost every "best in st louis" poll around the area for best bbq.
This is something that is rarely screwed up by bars - one exception that rule being Kirkwood Ice & Fuel in (surprise) Kirkwood. Their wings were horrible, didn't even finish them. But Seamus McDaniel's in Dogtown has good hot wings, Maurizio's Pizza downtown has good ones, and having eaten the chicken but never the wings, I would assume that Culpepper's has awesome wings since their chicken is awesome and the wings are what they're known for.
I've never been to Pi, but I understand that its supposed to be excellent, albeit expensive - my favorites I've found in the city are Maurizio's Downtown (never busy, I think most of their business comes from late night drunk deliveries) & Ferraro's in Soulard.
Haven't eaten at many, but if you are looking to drop some dough, Charlie Gitto's on the Hill is excellent.
My favorite is probably the Chase Park Plaza. There's so much going on around the theater that it makes it a great experience. If you're a drinker you can buy drinks to take in to the theater and there are bars open in the CPP after the movie (and before, of course). Another plus is that it's in the Central West End so you are in walking distance to tons of night time stuff to do.

6 & 7, no clue

Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,279,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Pappys or The Shaved Duck
I finally checked out the Shaved Duck the other day after hearing nonstop rave reviews...so disappointing. The duck was so bad that my fiance left most of it on the plate. I had the sampler platter and found all of it mediocre to terrible. It was rough and I was so sad

Pappy's though...definitely a must.

The Hill = Italian district of St Louis. Everyone has different opinions on what's best--you almost can't go wrong. My personal fav is Zia's or Cunettos

The Moolah is pretty awesome for movies. Really like the couches. Otherwise, I don't pay attention to movie prices.

ETA: I saw in another post that you're from Rochester NY. I have yet to find wings that even come close to the ones in Buffalo & the surrounding area. I always look forward to my NY trips for pizza + wings.

Last edited by billiken; 07-10-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,131,462 times
^
Hopefully a bad night? Our entire neighborhood is obsessed with The Shaved Duck, I have never had a bad meal, but I have also never ordered the duck. My husband always gets the Big Jimmy Sampler, delicious.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:11 PM

51 posts, read 69,273 times
Billiken,

Yeah, you caught me. I'm needing my Buffalo wing fix. And wouldn't you know they opened an Anchor Bar (home of THE original Buffalo wing) a mile from my house in Rochester about 5 months before I move out of town. But those were five glorious months. :-)

I tried Pappy's for dinner last Monday night, but they were sold out by the time I got there. What's the secret to getting food? Call ahead? Eat at 4pm?

Also the Moolah sounds very cool. Looking forward to that. Are there any second-run movie theaters in the area? (The kind that show movies for $2 shortly before they come out on DVD?)

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice. I'm getting lots of great tips!!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:29 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,279,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac100 View Post
Billiken,

Yeah, you caught me. I'm needing my Buffalo wing fix. And wouldn't you know they opened an Anchor Bar (home of THE original Buffalo wing) a mile from my house in Rochester about 5 months before I move out of town. But those were five glorious months. :-)

I tried Pappy's for dinner last Monday night, but they were sold out by the time I got there. What's the secret to getting food? Call ahead? Eat at 4pm?

Also the Moolah sounds very cool. Looking forward to that. Are there any second-run movie theaters in the area? (The kind that show movies for $2 shortly before they come out on DVD?)

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice. I'm getting lots of great tips!!
I'm more a Duff's fan than Anchor Bar...but both beat anything out here. I usually grab Anchor Bar hot sauce in the airport to carry on the plane. Fiance is from Buffalo and I'm addicted.

Pappy's only smokes a certain amt of food for the day, and once they're out, they're out. Best to just go early.

I'm not really sure on the second run movies, I haven't seen that around here, but then again, I haven't really looked...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis