Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM

57 posts, read 147,879 times

Advertisements

I've got tickets for a Cards/Phillies game in a couple weeks (I'm a Phillies fan, actually...but I promise to behave myself. ;-) Wondering about taking the Metro to and from the game. I love that most of the Park and Ride locations have free parking here! Amazing! I'd be coming from the Delmar stop on the red line, and I'll be coming into the city early enough to catch batting practice (if not earlier), so I assume that the crowd at the Stadium stop won't be too horrible.

But I'm worried about coming BACK from the game. I'm picturing the Stadium stop as a giant mob scene after ballgames -- is this right? Would it be worth it to walk to 8th/Pine and wait for the train there? (an earlier stop should mean shorter lines, and more opportunities to get a seat...) Or do lots of people do that, too?

Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
It usually is pretty packed after games, you can always go to Broadway Oyster Bar, Al Hraboskys or Paddy O's right next to the stadium and grab a couple beers before you head back.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
It is pretty packed. I find I typically have to wait a train or two to get on. They keep it fairly organized though, in my opinion. I've never thought of walking up to 8th & Pine--it's not very far away! I'm guessing not that many people choose this route, because the trains are not very full when they pull into Stadium station.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
It's pretty packed when leaving, but you can usually get on by the 2nd or 3rd train ... or walk to 8th & Pine (stop before the stadium stop loading).

Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 AM

58 posts, read 134,809 times
and thanks to passing prop a the time between trains should be reduced. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but its now 6 minutes, yes?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:29 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea City Man View Post
It's pretty packed when leaving, but you can usually get on by the 2nd or 3rd train ... or walk to 8th & Pine (stop before the stadium stop loading).
exactly. And yes, it is definitely a mob scene at the stadium stop after the games. I would imagine going west is not as bad as going east, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
I take the train to Blues games, Cards games, and Rams games. The only time I had to wait for a second train is when I was at the Mizzou-Illini match at the Edwards Jones dome last year. That was an absolute mad house. Other then that it is crowded for sure but not overwhelmingly so. You probably won't be able to sit down by the time you get to the U.City stop though

Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 AM

26 posts, read 78,202 times
If you leave *right* after the game, there will be a crowd walking down the steps of the metrolink stop. As others have mentioned, that just means you'll probably watch a train or two (at the most) go by before you actually get on board.

If you leave the game a little early or if you hang out at an area establishment after the game, you'll probably be able to jump on the first train you see. I wouldn't recommend walking to 8th and Pine stop if you're going to a night game. It's true that you might be able to save 5-10 minutes, but you at nighttime you will probably feel more comfortable in the well-lit and more organized area around the stadium metrolink stop.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
good advice everyone. The walk from the stadium to 8th and Pine will not be scary on game nights. I've made that walk to my car or a friends place dozens of time. There will be plenty of fans out on the streets and that will give you a chace to walk through City Garden.

FYI, parking a Delmar is a great idea. Just remember to park smart, and not leave valuables in sight.

Enjoy the trip - Go Cardinals.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 PM

19 posts, read 54,439 times
One warning about the 8th & Pine plan, though: I tried that after a Cardinals game a few years ago and Metro was limiting access to the station (only letting in a few dozen people per train) so the trains wouldn't be full when they pulled into the Stadium.

Don't know if they do that regularly, but they definitely did it that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis