Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:36 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3240Redo View Post
Now that the humility lesson and back slapping session of the mutual admiration brigade is over, I'd like to second the earlier recommendations for Webster Groves, Richmond Heights, and U City - and add Maplewood to the list.
I hate this acronym and this might me my first time ever using it, but lmao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocatinggal View Post
I'll take a look at Creve Coeur but it sounds a lot like where I'm living now. Newer suburb, a lot of strip malls, big box stores, chain restaurants. There's nothing wrong with that but I think I like the idea of being able to walk to a store.
Creve Coeur is not -that- new. A lot of the houses are more than 40 years old.
There is actually a wedge of unincorporated St Louis County between Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur in the Parkway North district that has lots of options for renting. There are tons of restaurants off of Olive, and another good sized cluster off Dorsett. Most of them are local non-chain. Other types of business (grocery, hardware, etc.) are close by. The apartments in the area tend to be a mid to late 20s crowd, so lots of social opportunities, including sports leagues.
Most people would not call the area walkable... your walks to businesses are going to be in the 1-2 mile range. It is very bikeable though, with Creve Coeur Lake in easy biking distance (and a new major trail going through sometime in the next two years).

Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM

263 posts, read 529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Creve Coeur is not -that- new. A lot of the houses are more than 40 years old.
There is actually a wedge of unincorporated St Louis County between Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur in the Parkway North district that has lots of options for renting. There are tons of restaurants off of Olive, and another good sized cluster off Dorsett. Most of them are local non-chain. Other types of business (grocery, hardware, etc.) are close by. The apartments in the area tend to be a mid to late 20s crowd, so lots of social opportunities, including sports leagues.
Most people would not call the area walkable... your walks to businesses are going to be in the 1-2 mile range. It is very bikeable though, with Creve Coeur Lake in easy biking distance (and a new major trail going through sometime in the next two years).
Creve Coeur is very much a "new" suburb. Sure, the homes may be 40 years old, but the area is filled with chain restaurants and strip malls. For a little more character, look at Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Clayton, U City, Brentwood, Maplewood, or Richmond Heights.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Hey mr. 20 rep points versus my almost 1400+...
WTH do rep points have to do with anything?
To the OP, you have gotten some sound advice here, never mind some of the snarky remarks.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
Creve Coeur is very much a "new" suburb. Sure, the homes may be 40 years old, but the area is filled with chain restaurants and strip malls. For a little more character, look at Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Clayton, U City, Brentwood, Maplewood, or Richmond Heights.

I own half of one of those homes. If anyone wants to buy it, let me know.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 36,529 times
We have lived Just west of St. Louis in St. Charles for 30 years. Creve Coeur and all the other burbs in West St. Louis County are the 'Better' burbs to live in. Low crime, good schools, high property taxes to fund them, and everything is artifically inflated because the people that live there have $MONEY or pretend to... Bunch of million dollar foreclosed homes for sale there too.

More affordable housing as you go into the city but you have to start picking your neighborhoods the farther you go in. Like mentioned Kirkwood is good. Either side of I 40 down to I 170 is well to do if not OLD money. Avoid any commute on 270 North of I 44 or South of I 70.

Still, I admit bias but don't forget the possibility of going WEST across the river. They just completed a 6 lane bridge called the Page Extension that NEVER gets jammed up until you hit 270 loop. Just across the bridge and your are in the north end of Creve Coeur. 15 minutes from MANY apartments and homes for rent in St. Charles County. St. Peters and South St. Charles City are your areas to look at near the Page Bridge Extension.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 PM

263 posts, read 529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddupickel View Post
We have lived Just west of St. Louis in St. Charles for 30 years. Creve Coeur and all the other burbs in West St. Louis County are the 'Better' burbs to live in. Low crime, good schools, high property taxes to fund them, and everything is artifically inflated because the people that live there have $MONEY or pretend to... Bunch of million dollar foreclosed homes for sale there too.

More affordable housing as you go into the city but you have to start picking your neighborhoods the farther you go in. Like mentioned Kirkwood is good. Either side of I 40 down to I 170 is well to do if not OLD money. Avoid any commute on 270 North of I 44 or South of I 70.

Still, I admit bias but don't forget the possibility of going WEST across the river. They just completed a 6 lane bridge called the Page Extension that NEVER gets jammed up until you hit 270 loop. Just across the bridge and your are in the north end of Creve Coeur. 15 minutes from MANY apartments and homes for rent in St. Charles County. St. Peters and South St. Charles City are your areas to look at near the Page Bridge Extension.
Disagree. The OP wanted an area with character and locally owned restaurants. You won't find much of that at all in West County. For character, stay inside 170.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
Disagree. The OP wanted an area with character and locally owned restaurants. You won't find much of that at all in West County. For character, stay inside 170.

Character? Inside 170?

This includes Bel Ridge, Kinloch, Wellston, Pagedale, Cool Valley and other similar upscale, elegant communities.

If the OP wants character and locally owned business that's great but for safety's sake stay south of Olive and west of Skinker if considering "inside 170."

Better idea - live in St. Charles, play in the nice parts of St. Louis (Clayton, UC, etc.)

Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^
I'm sure he meant inside 270, but you know that. St Charles County does NOT have character, quite the opposite.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
^
I'm sure he meant inside 270, but you know that. St Charles County does NOT have character, quite the opposite.

Right, Main Street in downtown St. Charles has no character...

And New Town is certainly without character as well...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis