U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 AM

10 posts, read 14,975 times
Default New Town

Does anyone have any information or opinion on New Town in St. Charles, MO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM

419 posts, read 790,729 times
Here's a little snippet I did awhile back...

Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,904,884 times
Great blog post, Carrie. For further reading check out the article the Riverfront Times did on it a few years ago:

Brave New Town - Page 1 - News - St. Louis - Riverfront Times

This quote from the above article...

Quote:
Critics contend that the only thing "ground-breaking" about New Town is the churning up of yet more rural farmland for residential housing. What's more, there's nothing "new" or "urban" about it, they say. New Town merely mimics the style and layout of neighborhoods such as Soulard, Lafayette Square and the Central West End, without providing the cultural and ethnic diversity of established urban communities
...sums up my feelings on it.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 PM

580 posts, read 562,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpieron View Post
Does anyone have any information or opinion on New Town in St. Charles, MO?

It's a poor attempt at imitating a dense urban lifestyle with all white people.

inahandbasket

Old 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM

102 posts, read 318,241 times
Google westhaven franklin tn for the nashville version of newtown. I think you will find westhaven is way better than newtown. I have visited and it just blows me away....with the quality they offer versus newtown. The picture on the website homepage is the what the entire development looks like. I think newtown in st charles is depressing with typical st louis mediocre construction. I know someone will attack me for my last comment, but it is true.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,049 times
Lets be honest, most families aren't interested in moving to Lafayette Square/CWE/etc for whatever reason--schools, crime issues, whatever. This set up is a heck of a lot better than a lot of the other new homes built out that way.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momule View Post
Google westhaven franklin tn for the nashville version of newtown. I think you will find westhaven is way better than newtown. I have visited and it just blows me away....with the quality they offer versus newtown. The picture on the website homepage is the what the entire development looks like. I think newtown in st charles is depressing with typical st louis mediocre construction. I know someone will attack me for my last comment, but it is true.
The homepage shows brick homes. If you look at what's available, it looks like there's plenty of vinyl siding options available....I assume this is what you mean by typical St Louis mediocre construction. I prefer brick myself.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 PM

102 posts, read 318,241 times
No vinyl in westhaven. It is not allowed. They do use Hardie board cement siding plus lots of brick. The landscaping is fabulous. The Hoa is $150 per month and includes yard upkeep, cable tv and cable high speed internet. I pay almost that much for just the cable tv and internet. This place looks first class and there are lots of community amminities with large grocery store within walking distance

Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Whatever it is, it still looks a heck of a lot like vinyl, which is still so blah. Again, still much better than most of the crap being built.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,936,275 times
Its built on a floodplain, need I say more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis