Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM

41 posts, read 117,289 times

Advertisements

I have recently lived in Memphis, TN, Denton, TX, and I am from Omaha, NE (where I live currently) I ADORED Memphis and I was looking for a city in between Omaha and Memphis. I just have a few questions. Would Memphis's Tree-lined streets and unique scenery be even comparable to St. Louis? I am under the impression that St. Louis has historical funky aspects while maintaining some sophisticated, urban aspects. Where would be a safe, older, area in St. Louis to live that has PLENTY of older trees? Would it be easy to meet young people? Are people friendly and welcoming? I am just curious about what to expect.

Thanks in advance

Edit- I forgot to mention, I am considering the Fairmont apartments, would this be a good selection based on the criteria I provided? Has anyone heard any positive or negative feedback on these apartments?

Last edited by frozenpie; 07-21-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,930 times
I recommend U-City and the Central West End. They are both super active and friendly walking communities with plenty of sophistication and GORGEOUS, tree-lined streets and parks! They are both centrally located with traditional architecture and a nice blended demographic (and a lot of transplants) thanks to close location to Washington University, SLU, and the hospitals. THey are pretty much located in the epicenter of culture and things to do in St. Louis...

Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM

41 posts, read 117,289 times
I was considering both U-City and CWE for those reasons but are there any affordable apartments that you know of in those particular areas? Thanks for the input!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Yes, south St. Louis sounds exactly what you're looking for. Depending on your personal level of desired safety there are a ton of different neighborhood choices. In my opinion, the perfect blend of safe along with urban, tree lined, eclectic people/places is the neighborhoods around Tower Grove Park. In particular, Tower Grove South, Tower Grove East, and Shaw. The homes are mostly early 20th century brick, old 50 ft tall+ tree lined streets, and a plethora of young people, foreigners, aging hippies, vegetarians, and the like. Tower Grove Park itself is a victorian gem with a saturday morning farmers market and the South Grand business district has a wide variety of ethnic restaurants. This is an urban area so there is some crime, but it is not like there are daily shootings or anything. I'd say car break-ins make up the majority of crime in this part of the city.

Some links:

Shaw Neighborhood in St. Louis- Welcome!

Tower Grove South | An active and vibrant neighborhood on St. Louis' near south side

TGHNA: WELCOME TO OUR NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

South Grand Community Improvement District (CID)

Welcome to Tower Grove Park: A victorian gem in the heart of South St. Louis

Other parts of town I would definitely check out include Benton Park, Soulard, U.City, and the Central West End. They fit what you said you were looking for pretty closely too.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:48 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^
What they said! U-City, The Central West End sound the closest.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
For sure, all of the forementioned areas are great. However, it seems like whenever anyone asks which parts of St Louis are the best to live in, certain neighborhoods always get mentioned, while others are consistantly overlooked. Perhaps they just haven't received the recognition they deserve. So please allow me to suggest a few of those "lesser-known gems" of our fair city.

Southwest Garden: This reasonably-priced neighborhood borders beautiful Missouri Botanical Garden and Tower Grove Park. It features many tree-lined streets and unique restaurants. It's conveniently-located near I-44.

Skinker-Debaliviere: Positioned just north of Forest Park's many attractions and near Washington University, this historic neighborhood gives residents access to just about everything that's St Louis. Metrolink has two stops on opposite sides of S-D. The exciting East Loop is also located here, featuring a concert venue, a variety of restaurants, a bowling alley, and more.

Clifton Heights: A small lake with fountains is the centerpiece of this charming residential neighborhood located just west of The Hill. It features grand homes of the 19th-century, as well as comparably newer homes in a variety of architectural styles. This neighborhood is also convenient to I-44.

South Hampton: Also called "SoHa" by some, this vibrant neighborhood is anchored by the Macklind Avenue Business District. Mid-century modern and "gingerbread" brick bungalows are two of the prominent architectural styles here. SoHa is located between S Hampton and S Kingshighway, and includes Hampton Village Shopping Center.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 PM

102 posts, read 708,440 times
If you thought Memphis was good, you will think St Louis is great.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM

78 posts, read 241,385 times
You may want to check out Richmond Heights as well.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Good lord, if you thought Memphis was cool then you should think STL is unbelievable ... but I personally think Memphis is one of the worst cities in our nation, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Coming from Omaha will also help make STL looks great in comparison . Fwiw though, while STL is not the best city in the nation by any stretch, it is very cool and, to me, it can be considered to be on probably the 3rd tier level as far as cool cities in our nation (think NY/LA blah, blah as 1st tier, Portland/Seattle/blah,blah as 2nd tier). But, as implied, it is leagues ahead of Memphis and Omaha imo, no offense .

Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
I'm from Memphis. I used to think parts of Memphis (East Memphis & Midtown) were so beautiful until I came to St. Louis. I was blown away! There are way more trees, hills, and charming neighborhoods in St. Louis. I visit as much as I can. I find people to be just as friendly in St. Louis as in Memphis. Maybe not as open & outgoing, but still friendly. Aside from the city, you should also check out Clayton. It's a nearby suburb. Memphis has nothing that could compare to Clayton.

You can't find many neighborhoods like this in Memphis

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...87.52,,0,-0.81
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis