U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 PM

3,766 posts, read 2,055,391 times

Advertisements

Fifty years ago (give or take), St Louis city had five signature landmarks: Eads Bridge, The Gateway Arch, (former) Busch Stadium, the Climatron, and the Admiral. Most magazine articles and brochures about St Louis used to consistantly picture one or more of these great icons.
(Note: I didn't include the shell-shaped main terminal at Lambert because it's not located in the city of St Louis.)

Well, old Busch is sadly gone. The Admiral is closed once again. (And honestly, considering the boat's deteriorating condition, it may be without a future on our riverfront.)

What are the five greatest landmarks of today's St Louis? Presumably, the arch is still among them. It's such a widely-recognized, one-of-a-kind structure.
What about Eads? Once, it was the longest arch bridge in the world. But there are other examples of similar bridges today. Does Eads still pack the "wow" it once did?
There are also countless geodesic domes across the nation nowadays, so our Climatron isn't all that unique anymore, really, is it?

So....besides the arch, what amazing landmarks do you think represent the city of St Louis today? Name your five.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM

419 posts, read 845,584 times
Obviously the Arch. The Old Cathedral. The Fox. Old Courthouse. Muny, or maybe Union Station...?!.

The brewery is an obvious choice, had the buyout not occured. Now, I will not give them the pleasure.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 PM

68 posts, read 114,389 times
OK, how about adding Ted Drewes to the list?!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,112,557 times
The Cathedral Basilica:

The statue of Louis XI (Apotheosis of St. Louis). This was considered the symbol of St. Louis before the arch was built:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/Apotheosis-of-saint-louis.jpg (broken link)

The old courthouse:

The Arch:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/A02_6003_427x640.JPG (broken link)

The Jewel box in Forest Park:

Runners up for me include The Fox, The Kiel (ones it's renovated), Civil Courts building, Eads bridge, and Union Station.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 AM

2,342 posts, read 1,457,053 times
I would agree with the Old Courthouse. I don't see why that wouldn't have been a landmark 50 years ago. Although I guess its almost always included in the Arch pictures. The other three landmarks (since you also have to choose the arch) would probably be...

The Zoo... its consistently rated one of the best zoos in the country. Although I'm not a big fan of that new bridge out front, so maybe just the bird cage or one of the other historical buildings within the zoo.

I would still say Budweiser despite the buyout. Its still a big part of St Louis, and who doesn't know the brand?

And I would almost put the new Busch stadium up there to become a landmark. I love how they designed it, I love that while inside it just seems to flow into the city.

If not Busch Stadium I would also include the Cathedral Basilica.

Its hard trying to choose just five. I was trying to think of the top places I dragged my bf to the first time he came to visit St. Louis. Although I haven't taken him up in the Arch yet, I always get excited as soon as we can see the Arch while driving into St. Louis. Its the first sign of home!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:00 AM

18 posts, read 24,054 times
Louis Sullivan's masterpiece, the greatest 19th-century skyscraper in the US. The Wainwright Building.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM

419 posts, read 845,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell View Post
Louis Sullivan's masterpiece, the greatest 19th-century skyscraper in the US. The Wainwright Building.
TBell- you must be an architect! I worked in the Wainwright several years ago and didn't think anything of it. My brother-in-law, getting his Masters in Architecture at the time at KU, almost had a heart attack when he found out!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM

I'm totally loving all the great treasures mentioned so far! They're all good contenders for "greatest landmarks" of St Louis. Ok, well, except for Ted Drewes!
I'd like to add the three historic water towers: the Grand, the Bissell, and the Compton Hill. St Louis has more water towers of this type than any other city in America-- maybe the world. Here's a quick link to some details and pix: City of St. Louis Water Division

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 PM

68 posts, read 114,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I'm totally loving all the great treasures mentioned so far! They're all good contenders for "greatest landmarks" of St Louis. Ok, well, except for Ted Drewes!
I'd like to add the three historic water towers: the Grand, the Bissell, and the Compton Hill. St Louis has more water towers of this type than any other city in America-- maybe the world. Here's a quick link to some details and pix: City of St. Louis Water Division
Ok, if you won't go for Ted Drewes how about FOREST PARK?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Forest Park as a whole is a treasure, of course. But this thread is about the great landmarks of St Louis, so I think we'd need to look at specific structures and physical features within the park: The birdcage at the zoo, the history museum, the grand basin, etc.

Speaking of parks...does anyone think that the ruins in Tower Grove Park qualify as a great St Louis landmark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis