Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,694 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new place to rent in St. Louis. I'm a single male, mid-20's, recently promoted at work and now making 70K-80K range. I'm into art, philosophy, politics, biking, science, logic, math, and computers. I currently live in a one-bedroom apartment with $600/mo. rent. I can definitely afford about twice that rent and maybe even more than that if needed in order to find the kind of place I want. I would still prefer to find a good deal though too. I want to find a house or quiet apartment/condo community to rent where I can't easily hear people living next to me.

I work off of i-170 near the airport and willing to do a 20-25 min. commute (my current commute time). I want to live somewhere with easy interstate access. As far as the place goes, I'm looking for some things in particular:

- Dishwasher
- Washer/dryer in unit, but nearby washer/dryer is OK too as long as it's not coin-operated
- Central A.C./heat
- Balcony/porch
- Nice bathtub/shower
- Walk to some bars/restaurants
- Close driving distance to grocery store
- In an upscale-ish, urban, and safe environment, but not too upscale either if that makes any sense
- Not near a shady area of town
- Off-street parking
- Pet-friendly (don't have any pets yet but might want some in the future)

Anyone know of any places/areas off the top of their head that might be a good fit for me? I was thinking about Lafayette Park area, maybe a nice area near downtown, or something like that. I don't want to live out in the suburbs but I also want to live in an urban area that is on the safer side. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 01:25 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,855 times
I'd try Central West End...especially the lofts. They're $200,000-500,00. Not bad if you ask me. I need a bit more information if you want something more specific.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
I agree with the Central West End and I think Lafayette Square would be a good fit too. Take a few hours and park your car in these neighborhoods and walk around. See what the neighbors are like and what amenities you will have close access to. I think the CWE will have more to offer but Lafayette Square is probably safer and quieter, while still being walkable and right next to downtown.

It's a tough call, but I can tell you that for your price range you should for sure find something in these neighborhoods that fits your needs perfectly.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:26 AM

4 posts, read 11,219 times
Hello
My boyfriend and I are considering moving from Sydney Australia to St Louis Missouri! We want to do something different in life, and we thought St Louis would give us an oppoirtunity to really 'live life in the USA...'

I must admit, I am a bit nervous, I think there will be huge cultural differences.

So, a few basic questions - what is the best suburb for a couple (25 years old) to live, in St Louis. We want to be close to bars, restraunts, music venus etc.

My boyfriend would be working in the city CBD, so we also need to be close to work.

Any feed back or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Sydney Sider

Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
If you paln to invest in realestate I would consider a AAA rated school district. I personally would recommend ROCKWOOD (one of the top 10 in our country of the past 10+yrs.) I live in a subburb..LOVE it and only 30-40 minuets from the city and the drive is absolutely worth it.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysidermovingtoUS View Post
Hello
My boyfriend and I are considering moving from Sydney Australia to St Louis Missouri! We want to do something different in life, and we thought St Louis would give us an oppoirtunity to really 'live life in the USA...'

I must admit, I am a bit nervous, I think there will be huge cultural differences.

So, a few basic questions - what is the best suburb for a couple (25 years old) to live, in St Louis. We want to be close to bars, restraunts, music venus etc.

My boyfriend would be working in the city CBD, so we also need to be close to work.

Any feed back or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Sydney Sider
Any reason you're looking specifically for a suburb? There are plenty of city neighborhoods that would meet your needs as well.

That said, if you share your housing budget we can probably offer more specific advice.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Hey all,

I'm looking for a new place to rent in St. Louis. I'm a single male, mid-20's, recently promoted at work and now making 70K-80K range. I'm into art, philosophy, politics, biking, science, logic, math, and computers. I currently live in a one-bedroom apartment with $600/mo. rent. I can definitely afford about twice that rent and maybe even more than that if needed in order to find the kind of place I want. I would still prefer to find a good deal though too. I want to find a house or quiet apartment/condo community to rent where I can't easily hear people living next to me.

I work off of i-170 near the airport and willing to do a 20-25 min. commute (my current commute time). I want to live somewhere with easy interstate access. As far as the place goes, I'm looking for some things in particular:

- Dishwasher
- Washer/dryer in unit, but nearby washer/dryer is OK too as long as it's not coin-operated
- Central A.C./heat
- Balcony/porch
- Nice bathtub/shower
- Walk to some bars/restaurants
- Close driving distance to grocery store
- In an upscale-ish, urban, and safe environment, but not too upscale either if that makes any sense
- Not near a shady area of town
- Off-street parking
- Pet-friendly (don't have any pets yet but might want some in the future)

Anyone know of any places/areas off the top of their head that might be a good fit for me? I was thinking about Lafayette Park area, maybe a nice area near downtown, or something like that. I don't want to live out in the suburbs but I also want to live in an urban area that is on the safer side. Thanks!
With your budget, I would look at renting a townhome or house. You could live in a walkable area like the Grove or Tower Grove and not have to worry about any of the noise. A few Craigslist options are below:

2.5 BA 2000sqft updated home~ 2 master suites+ office~ fireplace (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/1963040691.html - broken link) -- a house in the Grove (walking distance to several nice restaurants on Manchester and a longer walk to CWE)
2.5 BA 2000sqft updated home~ 2 master suites+ office~ fireplace (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/1963040691.html - broken link) -- a townhouse in Tower Grove South right near the bars on Morganford and a longer walk to everything on South Grand
FULLY RENOVATED TOWNHOME**GREAT FOR ROOMATES (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/1951577700.html - broken link) -- a townhouse in Lafayette Sqaure right by 1111 Mississippi
Large bedrooms, stainless steel appliances, W/D in unit, plus garage (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/1956796016.html - broken link) -- a townhouse in McKinley Heights (walking distance to Lafayette Sqaure, Soulard and Benton park)
Gorgeous house 2+bed 2 1/2 bath (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/1954551028.html - broken link) -- another house in the Grove
Rehabbed Row-home near Barnes, SLU, CWE, Forest Park (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/1934057048.html - broken link) -- and finally, this place in the Grove. It's a bit more expensive, but huge!

I hope that's helpful. Now I'm a bit home sick, haha!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
I think both posters should live downtown.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM

^^ A lot of the big lofts have some noise issues that I doubt our OP would be a big fan of.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
huh, never heard any of my friends complain. Those buildings are really well built with concrete floors. The only thing I'ver heard is complaint from a few residents that live right above night clubs, or the occasional chopper that drives by late on a weekend. Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis