U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:33 PM

362 posts, read 1,632,882 times

Advertisements

I was just downtown today (Washington Ave to be specific) visiting my brother because he just bought a loft, and all I have to say is wow! I am really impressed with the steps they have taken in bringing downtown St. Louis back. I live in St. Louis, but way out in the suburbs, and I rarely get downtown. Last time I was downtown it was virtually a ghost town, but today I saw lots of sidewalk cafes, shops, clubs, and lofts, lofts, lofts galore. My brother's building has an awesome rooftop patio with a fountain and hot tub and a great view of the arch. So anyone considering St. Louis, but afraid it's dying, fear no longer. There's still a lot of work to be done (there's construction everywhere), but in 20 or so years, St. Louis will be a new city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 05:13 PM

115 posts, read 444,253 times
Yeah downtown STL is doing it's best to stage a comeback. I think with grocery stores finally moving downtown it's going to help quite a bit to give the current residents a nearby option. But there has been plenty of progress the last 10 years or so. It will be interesting to see what if anything ever comes of the Ballpark Village, Bottle District, and the Chouteau Lake District proposals.

I really like the idea of the Chouteau greenway connecting the arch green space with Forest Park. I think it would really be a boom for the area south of 64/40. But who really knows if it will ever really come to fruition. Probably not for another 10 years at least. There is a group, Great Rivers Greenway, that are currently buying up property in the area for such a project. The problem is a bunch of the land is currently owned by a railroad company(s) and they are historically tough to work with.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
I really hope the Bottle District and Ballpark Village haven't been cancelled, that would be a huge let-down to the entire city. St. Louis badly needs that empty space between Busch Stadium and central downtown filled up. i also have heard of ambitions to build a 1000 foot tall skyscraper around Chouteau Avenue or something. I'm not sure if it'll happen because of the Arch but it certainly would be located far enough south that the Arch would still look very tall. Downtown needs to be expanded north to where it historically was once located and it also could use further development south of I-64/U.S. 40. The Bottle District, that 1000 foot tall tower, the Ballpark Village, and the new I-70 bridge over the Mississippi combined and individually will all REALLY spice up downtown and encourage further and much-needed growth.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,866,419 times
This is all great news! Have always hoped for a better downtown in StL - have spent much time in other cities downtowns, and wondered when and if such could be done here too. Just found an interesting article from the NY Times, posted this past October:
Meet Me in Revitalized Downtown St. Louis - New York Times

These are fairly cool too:
Turning Around Downtown: Twelve Steps to Revitalization (http://www.brook.edu/metro/pubs/20050307_12steps.htm - broken link)
Downtown Revitalization

Hopefully, this article from a decade ago,,, well, maybe its been proven wrong?
There's Little Hope in Sight For Treasures of St. Louis - New York Times

Old 07-05-2007, 12:40 AM

1,816 posts, read 5,187,243 times
I root for St. Louis as much as anyone...but it has amazed me how much people talk about Washington Ave in recent years. Don't get me wrong, it is great, etc...but it really is only a few city blocks. Ok, great next project. St. Louis as downtown has so many needs. And it takes forever to get anything done in STL. It's a joke.

Ballpark Village, Bottle District, Re-connecting Arch grounds with city, revitalizing the Landing area with more residential river options and neighborhoods etc...metrolink expansion and improvements...etc....many many things to do.

The attitude all too prvelant is let's pat ourselves on the back for refurnishing old buildings. Welcome to the rest of America's downtowns.

Progress is being made in several areas of the city...but it has been slow moving ....it'll be 20 years before St. Louis will finish enough projects and be a more viable city for live, work play and destination for visitors and newcomers to live from other regions.

Recruiting businesses to the city, recruiting higher income young and old in higher numbers, and giving them more amentities and reasons for living in the city, etc.....

Much better than it used to be, but long way to go. St. Louis is way behind many other cities in this same regard.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,949 times
Default New Way Of Living

Here's my theory on the St. Louis Revitalization efforts - gas prices will force people back into cities. Gas prices are currently near $4.00 a gallon, and I am convinced they will only continue to increase. Travel commutes in the suburbs are going to become cost prohibitive, and people are going to start re-thinking their suburban lifestyles. I predict urban sprawl reverts to an urban crunch.

I can attest to it in my own life, since my husband and I who are from St. Louis originally, and now live in the Chicago Metropolitan area - intend to join up in the rehab of North St. Louis and buy a house. The 3 hours a day spent on the road were ridiculous already - add the price onto it and its not worth it anymore. Bring on the smaller yard, and lets start walking to the local grocer, because the driving thing......has got to go.

I think the hard truth of our dependence on oil will expedite efforts to revitalize cities nationwide, including St. Louis. The demand for houses, apartments and condos in downtown areas will increase because people will start wanting to live where they work, and work where they live. And that simply cannot be done living in the homogenized, cookie-cutter, hear today-gone tomorrow suburbs of the 70's.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,933,290 times
Couldn't agree more!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,663,828 times
I agree.

And I hope you're right.

And congrats on moving back to the city!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 PM

32 posts, read 68,107 times
I think there are still allot of people who will continue to live in the suburbs. For one thing, people with kids won't want to live downtown. Also, I think that most people who live in the suburbs also work nearby (at a school, hospital, office, etc.) so the gas prices are not that much of a problem. Also, 250k in the suburbs buys a giant house and it is only about 25 miles from downtown. As someone else pointed out here, the revitalized part of downtown is only a few blocks. It is also just blocks away from unsafe areas.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:09 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,663,828 times
Maybe. Sometimes the people who have money to live in the city also have money for private school.

I don't think the migration back to the city will be as good as the migration from the city the last 50 years, but I think it'll still make somewhat of an impact. And, in my opinion, it's a good thing.

And not everybody needs or wants a huge house anyway. Some people like living in a loft or apartment. You don't have to do as much cleaning or maintenance, and everything is closer, so you have to do less driving. And in this market, you can find some bargains in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis