Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I read somewhere that we are about 5-10 years away from rehabbing all of the remaining vacant buildings downtown/downtown west/midtown. If not for the recession I would say we were even closer. Like 1greatcity said, I'd imagine we will see consistent new high rises going up after all the rehabs are done. If downtown keeps its momentum I expect to see plenty of cranes in the sky by 2020.
Also of the remaining buildings vacant, where are they located and for what use could they be rehabbed as? I am thinking at this point depending on use there might have to be new construction soon, especially for class-A office space since the remaining buildings might not be suitable for it for various factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,573 times
St. Louis doenst have a remarkable skyline that takes your breath away. Yet one of the indicators of a skyline is being able to identify the city immediatlely----just look take a quick glance and you automatically are able to identify the city.

Such is the case with St. Louis-----not being from the area, either looking at photos or driving by, seeing that tremendous arch lets you know that you are indeed looking at St. Louis.

I agree with some posters that indeed downtown St. Louis in not pulsating-----yet it has an identity, which is something a lot of downtowns in this country do not have.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM

14 posts, read 35,580 times
ok don't get me wrong... i love the recognizability of our skyline. the arch is great, and we have some good skyscrapers. i know this isn't really a realistic thread in today's economy, but i would like to see more new buildings downtown. but everybody is right, we need urban revitalization before big new buildings are constructed. i was just expressing my "dream" for a better skyline.

a quick aside- pictures of stl skyline from clayton/cwe looking towards downtown are fantastic. i just wish we had more of that from east st louis, which is obviously where most pics of downtown are taken.

and "dinsdale piranha", pardon my french, but f*ck off. your negative opinions really aren't wanted here, so please keep them contained to lake st louis or california.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerbaseball5 View Post

and "dinsdale piranha", pardon my french, but f*ck off. your negative opinions really aren't wanted here, so please keep them contained to lake st louis or california.
Might want to give the rules of this forum a read through. This is a pretty heavily mod-ed site.

And I do agree with DP on this to a certain extent. Let developing nations worry about building massive "our wee-wees are bigger than yours" skyscrapers and bankrupt themselves (hello, UAE!)

A healthy, vibrant downtown with well cared for infrastructure is a much better thing for us all in the long run.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
why are high rises some important. Its like so many smaller market cities have an edifice complex. Saint Louis has the arch and building tall buildings will only detract the significance of the arch.

The Saint Louis Skyline is disjointed with way to many "holes" between buildings. St. Louis should look at how other small river cities build there water fronts. Charleston West Virginia is a beautiful city when you approach it from any direction, with the state capitol dominating many views.
So now St. Louis is a "small river city". Now were comparing Charleston, WV to St. Louis, Mo.......wow!

Charleston Metro 309,635
St. Louis Metro 2,816,710

St. Louis was a top 20 market last time I checked. I believe we are the 18th largest metro as of the last few years.

Not saying St. Louis cannot learn from smaller cities (because we definitely could), but why not compare us to similar markets like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,471 times
Do not bother with Dinsdale, he is a troll who has absolutely nothing better to do with his time, IGNORE HIM and he will go away.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
So now St. Louis is a "small river city". Now were comparing Charleston, WV to St. Louis, Mo.......wow!

Charleston Metro 309,635
St. Louis Metro 2,816,710

St. Louis was a top 20 market last time I checked. I believe we are the 18th largest metro as of the last few years.

Not saying St. Louis cannot learn from smaller cities (because we definitely could), but why not compare us to similar markets like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati?
Please, he compared STL to Paducah!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Do not bother with Dinsdale, he is a troll who has absolutely nothing better to do with his time, IGNORE HIM and he will go away.

No I won't.

Because I do not settle for mediocrity

Old 09-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Please, he compared STL to Paducah!
Because for smaller cities, they have nicer skylines.

The thread was for about skylines. not population.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerbaseball5 View Post
ok don't get me wrong... i love the recognizability of our skyline. the arch is great, and we have some good skyscrapers. i know this isn't really a realistic thread in today's economy, but i would like to see more new buildings downtown. but everybody is right, we need urban revitalization before big new buildings are constructed. i was just expressing my "dream" for a better skyline.

a quick aside- pictures of stl skyline from clayton/cwe looking towards downtown are fantastic. i just wish we had more of that from east st louis, which is obviously where most pics of downtown are taken.

I returned back to California because of this kind of Missouri friendliness.

All I said is that the city skyline is disjointed and full of visual "holes". I am so sorry that I have design aesthetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis