Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times

Advertisements

Hipsters themselves can be very judgey of others' lifetsyles, so I hardly think it's akin to discrimination.

But I agree that hipsters have been very important in the gentrification of many neighborhoods, not just in St. Louis but in the country in general.

Hipsters move to a cheap, scruffy area and begin to slowly drive out some of the trash and drive up the rents. Then suddenly the yuppies (who love to be ahead of the curve, but are too cautious to really make big leaps) look at the area and say "Hey, if all these artists and musicians live here it must not be so bad!"

They move in, and they usually begin to buy and rehab, which really drives up rents. The hispters ***** for 2-4 years and slowly begin moving out to the next cheap scruffy area where the whole thing hapens all over again -- as long as there are more urban professionals to tag along -- that's what the economy has really hindered in the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:35 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
You guys love to discriminate.
Huh?? Don't tell me you didn't click on that link and read the story about adults having a "pretend" prom on public transit and look at the photo and chuckle...

Those folks better hope their wealthy parents out in the suburbs don't find out. They might be risking losing their allowance....

Old 10-01-2010, 10:27 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
problem is that the hipsters of today are not doing a lot of any thing original.

Most are just seen and be seen poseurs that will not leave a cultural mark like the beats, hippies and punks.

The last semi original alternate movement was the grunge scene out of seattle in the late 1980s and early 1990s

Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I've just never heard most hipsters I know pretend to be doing something original. Most of them just seem to not want to be like their square parents. Welcome to every generation of young folks.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I've just never heard most hipsters I know pretend to be doing something original.
Thats the problem. Almost every generation of the alt scensters has left a creative cultural mark. I have not seen anything new and ground braking (music, literature, art) with this lot.

Most of the very creative stuff is coming from the 35 + crowd who are cultural remnants of the grunge scene.

yourscenesucks.com - you are just like everybody else

Old 10-01-2010, 03:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I say bring on the hipsters, we could use more. As a matter of fact, cherokee is pretty much being rejuvenated by the hipster scene. I don't get the whole backlash, who cares? They are welcome to move into my hood.
I agree. Bring them in by the bus loads. They do much more good than harm.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
I agree. Bring them in by the bus loads. They do much more good than harm.
yep, all fine until some drunk wannabee poseur is p!$$!ng on the side of your home.

Most of these "hipsters" are privileged little snots thinking they are leading a bohemian lifestyle on mommy and daddy's nickel.

I've seen them in art school 20 years ago and they still exist now.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,605 times
Huh?! Is this thread a joke?

Although i'm really young, I identify with a lot of "hipster" stereotypes and a lot of my friends are "hipsters". Trust me they're the people that St. Louis could use more of.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
yep, all fine until some drunk wannabee poseur is p!$$!ng on the side of your home.

Most of these "hipsters" are privileged little snots thinking they are leading a bohemian lifestyle on mommy and daddy's nickel.

I've seen them in art school 20 years ago and they still exist now.
That's not a hipster. That's a d-bag.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:47 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,320 times
I work a 9-5, make 50-55k a year, have a masters degree, and have never been given anything by my parents. But on nights and weekends I do wear tight jeans, grow out my facial hair, wear hoodies, hang out at the cool bars, drink well whisky, move into the cool hoods, ride bikes, etc., etc. For this, the internet might call me a "hipster" I guess. And no, I'm not looking to start a social change or anything, unless if it involves a sexual revolution ... in my bedroom .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis