Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 09:47 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,561,298 times

Advertisements

Another thread on city density got me thinking about SLU, and the tendency of the university to purchase pieces of property and throw up a nice fence around them, but then do nothing more. Now, I realize the economy is currently in a slump, so I'm not going to be too hard on them. But these empty lots are doing nothing but sitting idle. At one time, decent-size buildings used to stand on many of these lots, containing residences and businesses-- but the university tore them down. And for what? So much for increasing the density of our city.
Three examples:
1. Grand and Lindell, NE corner. Probably the most prominent of them all, at one of the busiest intersections in the center of our city. A building that once stood there contained some great little restaurants with lots of character, such as Bullfeathers and the old Vito's location.
2. Chouteau and Compton, NW corner. Not part of the main campus or the medical campus; so why are they sitting on this land?
3. Vandeventer and Laclede, NE corner, all the way to West Pine. Used to be apartments and businesses there. To the north, a mid-rise apartment building once stood (now it's a parking lot). Probably needed extensive renovation, but does it make sense to tear down potential housing for students and replace it with an empty lot?

I just think that no matter what used to stand on these lots, it was surely better than nothing. I really hope the university has plans drawn and ready for develping these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 05:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
Back when I was a student at SLU, I know plans for the Grand & Lindell corner were being discussed....and then the economy slumped, and now who knows. I also know there's some intramural fields or something going in around SLU Med, but not sure where.

Overall, I think SLU has done more good than harm for the area.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
SLU is building an outdoor athletic complex at the area mentioned. There have been plans for a boutique Hyatt Hotel immediately North of the Lindel Grand NE corner. SLU does own the fenced in area. SLU and owners of Triumph and Moto Museum are partnering on a hotel just East of Triumph. Condos will be going on Locust in that area.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:28 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Universities are land hoarders. It's my understanding that they are non-profit and don't have to pay property tax. For profit companys often like to raze and old building while they sit on the land to avoid paying taxes on the 'improvemnts' to the parcel. I'm not sure why SLU has been so ruthless in their demolition. There is certainly something positive to be said about them staying in midtown, but their urban policy is really the pits.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Universities are land hoarders. It's my understanding that they are non-profit and don't have to pay property tax. For profit companys often like to raze and old building while they sit on the land to avoid paying taxes on the 'improvemnts' to the parcel. I'm not sure why SLU has been so ruthless in their demolition. There is certainly something positive to be said about them staying in midtown, but their urban policy is really the pits.
It is not like they are destroying healthy neighborhoods like the University of Cincinnati did in the 1970-1990s or like the Missouri Botanical proposed 15 years ago. Much of the land between S. Grand and Compton adjacent to the hospital was blighted for the last 30 years.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,655 times
Quote:
Yep!! I was thinking room for growth/expansion with little upkeep and few taxes.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is not like they are destroying healthy neighborhoods like the University of Cincinnati did in the 1970-1990s or like the Missouri Botanical proposed 15 years ago. Much of the land between S. Grand and Compton adjacent to the hospital was blighted for the last 30 years.

Overall SLU is a blessing to have in Midtown.

HOWERVER they have absolutely destroyed TOO much of the urban built environment in and around campus. Wash U brought back the loop where as SLU has had little or no interest in improving the areas around campus. SLU is a a suburban campus. They simply bought it while it was cheap and buldozed it. Sad really.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM

"zactly! And I'm afraid that some of those lots I mentioned in my first post might remain nothing more than empty space. Now, for anyone who says, "what's wrong with a little open space?", let me say this: We already HAVE such places in the city. They're called parks. What we don't need is more empty land that used to have a function. After all, this is a city, and cities by definition are dense urban environments.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM

50 posts, read 151,647 times
Quote:
Wash U brought back the loop
Hold it right there! I would say Joe Edwards single-handedly brought back the loop.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:34 PM

I'd say it was a joint venture; Joe made the investment, and Wash-U provided the customers/students!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: