Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 01:48 PM

529 posts, read 1,008,248 times

Advertisements

I just got my tax bill on a $5000 rental property that I bought in August and the total was $1050. I called County Revenue and they said I had to appeal by July 12 2010. I told her that I just bought the property in August and I obviously couldn't meet that deadline. When I asked what I could do she said "I don't know".

Is anyone here familiar with this process? If so, do I have any recourse other than paying this year and contesting next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,273 times
As you just purchased the property in Aug, the tax amount will more than likely be auto adjusted to your purchase price during the next assessment period. Not much recourse at this point.

If you have owned your property for awhile...

Local govnt entities are being inundated with similar requests right now, and frankly they can't afford them, hence the “deadlines”. I can tell you, however, if you implement it… they are processing them. I would have firm CMA data in hand proving the sales prices/tax base around you. If you bought the property for less, your final HUD is a great start.

Here's a bit that I wrote last September. It has links to all of the govt. entities for each county. I can tell you that I have a U-City client going through the same process. They are currently assessed at least 100K over market ( the 6 mos, ¼ mile radius sales data). They are trying to reassess the property prior to listing in the Spring, to nip the problem in the bud, save some money, and avoid disclosing the current astronomical propprty tax amount. They started the process in September, hoping to have it done by year's end. Not happening. It is processing. Last I heard, it may take through early Spring... but better to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

Notice, over the past 5 years the county stayed up on the sales trends and continually reassessed and increased peoples' taxes as the boom occurred and property values quickly increased. Now that things are plummeting (and EVERYONE is paying super bloated tax bills)… note, the lack of county urgency to correct the problem?! If these government entities are broke now, I can’t imagine where they will stand once everyone is taxed upon what their house is REALLY worth. Hence, the hoops and headaches they put in place to get reassessed.

It can be done. Huge headache... but possible. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 PM

529 posts, read 1,008,248 times
Great info, thanks Carrie. I will get started now.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
I too need to challenge my assessment. In 6 years my taxes have gone up $700/year while I estimate my condo has declined in market value by $40k.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,273 times
You're welcome =)

Oh Moorlander, the condo market is REALLY hurting right now. Get a CMA with a list of the closed/solds over the past 6-12 mos. It will give you ground to stand on.

I was shocked- the county VOLUNTARILY dropped our assessment by 22K last year! I have only talked to 2 or 3 other people that this happened to?! It saved us a big fat headache, and a little cash. Granted, that was after being RAISED over 100K in 7 years, but whatever?! Happy to have anything at this point?!

Good luck guys. It is no fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis