Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:25 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,447,017 times

Advertisements

This might be a usefule website
Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Interesting that St Louis isn't broken up into neighborhoods but cities like Louisville are listed by neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,582,024 times
^Take those scores with a grain of salt. On other forums we've found them to be extremely inaccurate.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,853,396 times
^
I'm not a huge fan of that website. It doesn't seem to be accurate and updated. For instance, my neighborhood has a score of 58. Most of the local businesses aren't even on the map and the ones that are haven't been there in years. My South City neighborhood is in walking distance of two grocers, a coffee shop, laundry mat, 4 bars, 2 farmers markets, 5 restaurants, none of that is on that map.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 868,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
^
I'm not a huge fan of that website. It doesn't seem to be accurate and updated. For instance, my neighborhood has a score of 58. Most of the local businesses aren't even on the map and the ones that are haven't been there in years. My South City neighborhood is in walking distance of two grocers, a coffee shop, laundry mat, 4 bars, 2 farmers markets, 5 restaurants, none of that is on that map.
I like the site every once in a while but look at the cities that are at the top of the list. They have as many as 80k people living in a 1 mile radius. Instead of a handful of restaurants the neighborhoods that have those really high scores have 50+ restaurants within 5 minutes walking distance. Stl doesn't exactly have that kind of density. Even my old neighborhood at my address at the corner of Rockwell and Devon in Chicago didn't have the highest score, but there were about 40 Indian/Pakistani restaurants and maybe 10 grocers on Devon alone on a mile stretch. (and dozens of sari shops and jewelers ). I think stl's population density is only 5 or 6 k per sq mile vs San franciscos 60-100k per sq mile. Stl is being compared on the same scale as NYC Chicago and San Francisco. The most walkable neighborhood in Chicago probably has 30 bars down the street (prolly wicker park near north and damen).

Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
I think stl's population density is only 5 or 6 k per sq mile vs San franciscos 60-100k per sq mile.

You might want to check your math again.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
You might want to check your math again.
STL's average is 5,600 per sq mile in the west end it's 7,400. San franciscos average is 17k per sq mile but their highest in Chinatown is 129k per sq mile.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 PM

^ Can you list sources to back up your stats?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
^ Can you list sources to back up your stats?
City data itself and wikipedia both have the same numbers. Can't post links sorry I'm on an iPhone

Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,050 times
Anything in the Kirkwood and Webster school districts!!! I have been hesitatant to respond to this post as most of the posters are city residents and I have noticed they jump down the county residents throats sometimes but I had to chime in on this one. If you have five kids then obviously schools are a huge issue. Unfortunately the city schools are an awful mess (please don't yell city folks but it's true). They were taken over by the state and most people who can afford a $500K house would send their kids to private schools if they lived in the city. However with five kids that can be horribly expensive. Webster Groves and Kirkwood are fabulous walkable communities with wonderful schools. I am partial to Kirkwood but they are very similar communities. You just missed the Webster/Kirkwood state football semi-finals on Friday (Webster won and will now be going to the state championship) but the Turkey Day game is right around the corner. The entire city (both of them) turn out for this event and you'll see the long standing rivalry/friendship that is here. I have raised four kids in Kirkwood with my youngest now in high school and it was simply a wonderful place to raise a family. My kids started walking to stores and school in the second grade. And $500K will get you on some of the premier streets (though they can get pricey quickly). Anyway, I suspect you'll think it's a perfect fit once you see it in person but obviously I'm biased since I live here. Here are a few websites to check out if you want to learn more:

Untitled Document
City of Kirkwood : Home
Downtown Kirkwood
Webster Groves MO Real Estate | Kirkwood MO Real Estate | Condos - Homes for Sale | MLS Listings

They are mainly Kirkwood sites but since I live in Kirkwood I don't track the Webster sites but they are out there to be found.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkwoodMom
Anything in the Kirkwood and Webster school districts!!! I have been hesitatant to respond to this post as most of the posters are city residents and I have noticed they jump down county residents throats
You will be hard pressed to find many negative comments about Kirkwood. It's a fantastic mature suburb with a charming downtown. One of the premiere suburbs in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis