Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 75,765 times

Advertisements

I am involved in a friendly debate about traffic in STL. I am most likely moving in the next few weeks - months, but neither person involved has recently been to the city. One party claims that there is little to no congestion and that one can drive freely wherever, whenever with no concerns about traffic. The other party claims that, being a major city, STL will at least have some kind of rush hour.

Anyone care to comment? I am coming from the DC area, for reference. Clearly STL traffic can't be that bad, relatively speaking. How careful do you need to be when planning trips within the city? How long does rush hour last and which areas of town do you need to avoid during those peak times? And, by 'rush hour' do we mean waiting through an extra light or two or do we mean sitting on the highway/major road for an extra 30-60+ min?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:38 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
Yes there is traffic but not like some other major cities. If you're driving into the city in the morning or driving out at night expect delays. 270 is gridlock going north in the am and south in the pm. (just to name a few). St. Louis is no cowtown, we have traffic, but it's nothing like Chicago, Atlanta, or Austin. And of course there are always delays crossing bridges. If you move to tower grove you shouldn't be too effected.
The public transit system is pretty good too.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
coming to st. louis from the east coast, the traffic here is not nearly as overwhelming as what i was used to. however, don't be naive to think that it doesn't exist. rush hour is no cakewalk, that's for sure. between 7am-9am and 4pm-6pm, tack on an extra 30-50 minutes to your commute if you live in the suburbs. within the city itself it's not so bad due to the relatively short distances.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM

15 posts, read 75,765 times
Gotca. Thanks... Moorlander, I don't think it was so much thinking of St. Louis as cowtown as much as thinking of it as some kind of utopia . It sounds like traffic is still on the radar but not quite the nightmare that is DC rush hour.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
There is a rush hour. I commute about 10 miles to downtown, and I might add about 5-10 minutes to my expected travel time, depending on what highway I'm using. 40 tends to slow down a lot more than 44.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 PM

264 posts, read 700,134 times
270 North between Page and Olive in the AM and PM.
64 near Kingshighway to McCausland in the PM.
64 from 270 intersection to Chesterfield in the AM & PM.
270 South between Olive and Daugherty Ferry rd in the PM are big hassles.
I'm sure there's issues near downtown and I-70 in the rush hours.
I-44 is pretty much flowing all the time.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 PM

20 posts, read 63,330 times
Most of the time traffic is no problem in st louis but there are pockets that are regularly congested at certain times of the day. Locals learn work arounds like turning an exit or two a head and taking side roads.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Not bad?!?!

I used to commute on 70 in the evenings from Earth City to O'Fallon & the only highway I can think of that was more congested is LA's 405.

It just depends on what roads you travel. 64 & 270 are pretty bad, but 44 has relatively light traffic.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
270 is the only of the highways with what I would consider really wretched, "big city" traffic, though zoomzoom is correct that 70, especially out near Mid Rivers Mall Dr. in St. Peters gets pretty rough as well.

There are two major differences in St. Louis' traffic vs. a major city's. The first being that reverse commutes do exist here. It is much esaier to head out of the city and into the suburbs here as opposed to Chicago, where often the outbound was almost as bad as the inbound. St. Louis' rush hour is shorter than the other major cities I have driven in, and unlike Chicago, you'll rarely hit any traffic on the weekends unless it's a major holiday or sporting event.

It's also worth mentioning that traffic in the downtown area (surface streets and highways) gets iffy when there are night Cardinals games -- especially Friday night games.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 AM

24 posts, read 103,208 times
Most days the traffic isn't bad in St. Louis. However, on a morning like today, where there are several accidents, you can run into some delays. All the news channels, and several websites, even google, do a good job of reporting traffic. There are enough alternate routes that just checking the traffic and planning ahead will avoid problems. I've been stuck on 270, but even then it's nothing like driving into Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis