Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,496,910 times

Advertisements

^If you're saying it happens I have no reason not to believe you, but I just have a hard time believing that Wash U, who's absolutely known for being traditional to the point of annoying , would accept a student with an associates from Meramec or Flo Valley. Not saying never, just that I consider it unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,211,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^If you're saying it happens I have no reason not to believe you, but I just have a hard time believing that Wash U, who's absolutely known for being traditional to the point of annoying , would accept a student with an associates from Meramec or Flo Valley. Not saying never, just that I consider it unlikely.
Oh I'm not saying it happens often, I've only heard of one person lol. I was just pointing out that it is a possibility. I heard WashU is always at Meramec for the school showcases but that isn't anything new.

If I had to guess, I'd say most students transfer to UMSL or SLU with MoBap and Fontbonne close behind. Lord knows I wouldn't pay WashU's tuition.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM

^I had a friend who went to WashU for a philosophy degree. That kid is going to be in debt until the end of time!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 AM

787 posts, read 1,406,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^I had a friend who went to WashU for a philosophy degree. That kid is going to be in debt until the end of time!

My partner received her AB* in philosophy from Wash U then went to med school.... one her best friends was also an undergraduate philosophy major and then went to law school. Neither of them make a shabby living. There are two philosophy major tracks at WU; a terminal four year degree because one is going to grad school in another field, then there's a doctoral track for wannabe philosophy professors, tweed jacket and all...

*Speaking of WU being steeped in tradition: their undergraduate bachelor of arts degree is written in Latin on the diploma "Artium Baccalaureus," hence the AB designation... I know you needed to know that for this weekend's trivia night!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,872,816 times
Yeah I tend to be a believer in the school of get the degree you want and make it work for you. You'll like college more, get better grades, and more likely find a career doing something you enjoy. No degree is "worthless" if it leads to doing something you love.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM

Well and to be fair, my friend has some family money. He's living in a condo his parents own. He's one of those maddeningly smart guys who should do more than he does. But he's a great guy to catch a beer with ...

Another friend was all set to go to Wash U but knew her plan was to go to med school. As a normal middle class girl it was pretty intimidating to think about racking up more than 100k in loans before going to med school and racking up another couple hundred. So she went to Mizzou on a full scholarship and I don't think she's regretted the decision (though she would have loved to have been able to go to Wash U)

Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,950,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Yeah I tend to be a believer in the school of get the degree you want and make it work for you. You'll like college more, get better grades, and more likely find a career doing something you enjoy. No degree is "worthless" if it leads to doing something you love.
Definitely agree with this sentiment. I went to a tiny little school in WV. My friends/classmates include the VP of TruTV, a VP at Morgan Stanley and the owner of the company that salvaged Sullie's USAir Hudson River Plane. Ambition goes a long way.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM

264 posts, read 697,906 times
I wouldn't recommend med school to many people unless they have the patience and determination to go through with it. I have family members who are doctors and I can see how it can be a very less rewarding profession from a personal point of view.

You rack up a whole lot of debt and you won't be making any real big money until you hit your mid 30s. Even then the working hours are very erratic and you might end up being on call in high pressure situations in no time. Also the margin of error is minimal compared to my profession as an engineer. Residency is one tough time.

I have great respect for what they do but only very few people can do it and most of them tend to come from a family of doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: