Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is St. Louis more cliquish than other cities its size?
Yes 42 50.00%
No 27 32.14%
Cliquish? What are you talking about? I grew up here and have thousands of friends! 3 3.57%
What high school did you go to? 16 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:30 AM

465 posts, read 471,102 times

Advertisements

As far as peer cities, Cincinnati GAINED about 6.5% while cleveland, pittsburgh and detroit LOST a little more than 3% each. Big differences among these cities. If cleveland, pittsburgh or detroit has had the demographics of st. louis in the last 20 years they'd have half a million more people. If they had the demographics of cincinnati they'd have 750,000 more. There are real differences among these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 AM

15 posts, read 36,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnipotent1 View Post
Lol..I'm up at 6 in the morning goggling 'why st.Louis cliquish' I've been here for 6 months, and am having a terrible time making friends. I am from Texas, and spent my life moving around the state. Everywhere I went, by 6 months I had tons of friends. I have done everything I can think of to make friends. I've invited neighbors over for coffee, tried befriending other moms from playgroups etc. I get ignored! They are friendly to my face and then blow me off for their friends they went to high school with. My neighbor had a 'neighborhood' party last weekend, and when I said, 'sounds like a wild time at your house Sat night' with a big smile and compliment on her dress. She told me, 'oh we've all known each other forever" I miss my loud, welcoming, embracing Texans
I am from here and even I feel your pain. I left for the Army a few years ago and came back to a city where most of my friends have left (to find jobs in other places). This place is weird like that. Not unfriendly, just clique-y. I used to bar tend at a popular CWE bar and several of my regulars were transplants from other places. Over the years I worked there, 3 moved away as fast as they could and a couple I slowly watched turn into alcoholics.

All had the same complaints, hard to fit into a group of HS friends, decade old inside-jokes etc, people preferring to spend time with locals because they could always find mutual acquaintanceship through playing the 'where'd ya go to HS' game. For whatever reason it seems to be harder on women.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,496,910 times
St. Louis turns bar flys into alcoholics. Interesting supposition.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
St. Louis turns bar flys into alcoholics. Interesting supposition.
I think it had more to do with St. Louis being a place that is harder than most to move to if you don't know people already there. It ain't easy to fit in here if you don't know anyone.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,583,581 times
It seem like the only place I hear saying that it's hard to meet people in StL and that StL is "cliquish" is here on the internet message boards. I guess that does fit the internet message board stereotype.
I'm sorry if it's true. I just typically hear the opposite from my out of state friends or family.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,950,574 times
Saint Louis is very tough on transplants, more so than other cities of similar size and culture.

I have heard that cities such as Pittsburgh and Charleston, WV are also very cliquish, but I had no trouble making friends there and fitting in. St. Louis (Metro) is one of the oddest places I have ever lived and worked.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
I guess that does fit the internet message board stereotype.
I'm sorry if it's true. I just typically hear the opposite from my out of state friends or family.
So since your local friends and family are nice to your out of town friends and family (who are here for a visit), STL must not be uniquely cliquey?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,849,719 times
Guess the old saw still rings true; "In order to have a friend, you must be a friend first".
I've never had any problems meeting people, making friends or dating anywhere I have lived.
But then again, I never tried to say that any of my "problems" had anything to do with geographical location.
People are people wherever you go.
-shrugs-

Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,583,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBerry View Post
So since your local friends and family are nice to your out of town friends and family (who are here for a visit), STL must not be uniquely cliquey?

I don't think that's what I said...Let me clarify

I have both friends and family that now reside in St. Louis but grew up out of state. My parents moved here from Virginia right before my brother and sister were born.

I've never once heard any of them b*tch about how they can't make any friends and that St. Louis is to blame. It's typically mentioned how great, kind, friendly, down to earth, etc everyone in St. Louis is. Some say they wish they were closer to the mountains or beach, but couldn't imagine moving away from the great freinds they've made here.

If you've had different experiences then that's fine. Not all experiences are the same. Most of my friends had no idea where I was from or where I grew up until long into our friendship. I just find it odd that people think StL, a metro of ~3million, is too "cliquey" to make friends.

I have some pretty close friends that have transferred/moved here to work at companies such as AT&T, MasterCard, Wells Fargo, Edward Jones, and Boeing and they all seem to have lots of friends.

My advice is to keep on trying. There are lots of good friendly people here.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:39 AM

148 posts, read 402,060 times
There's a difference between being cliquish and being unfriendly, and I think that's an important distinction. St. Louis is middle of the road in that respect, and generally pretty darn friendly...it is what it is - make an effort to make friends and they will come, this isn't Texas nor will it ever be like that. It's an old place with some weird and complicated social layers, and it's not exactly alone in that respect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis