U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM

275 posts, read 954,836 times

Advertisements

I know with the recent merger of Wachovia and AG Edwards there are a lot of out-of-town folks getting word that they will be relocated to St. Louis. Just wanted to assure you that St. Louis is a great town! I moved here 4 1/2 years ago, and I love it. I live on the Illinois side, but I'm just a hop, skip and a jump away from downtown St. Louis. If you like sports, shopping, dining, family outings, theater, zoos, or all of those combined, you will find yourself right at home in St. Louis. Midwesterners are great people and very welcoming - and that's coming from a Southern gal! Best of luck to all of you getting the "relo notice" - hope you are excited about the great city of St. Louis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 PM

3,742 posts, read 5,697,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarBelle View Post
I know with the recent merger of Wachovia and AG Edwards there are a lot of out-of-town folks getting word that they will be relocated to St. Louis. Just wanted to assure you that St. Louis is a great town! I moved here 4 1/2 years ago, and I love it. I live on the Illinois side, but I'm just a hop, skip and a jump away from downtown St. Louis. If you like sports, shopping, dining, family outings, theater, zoos, or all of those combined, you will find yourself right at home in St. Louis. Midwesterners are great people and very welcoming - and that's coming from a Southern gal! Best of luck to all of you getting the "relo notice" - hope you are excited about the great city of St. Louis!
St. Louis is a VERY big Midwestern city, not a town Just wanted to clear that up. Columbia, MO is a town.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 PM

1,814 posts, read 4,729,371 times
St. Louis is a medium sized city/metro. It isn't big and it isn't small. Everything is relative. St. Louis is bigger than Indy, KC Cincy Milwuakee etc...and many Midwestern Cities, but it is 3rd of size of Chicago for example. Columbia is a small college town. Though St. Louis is a good medium sized city and metro, it can feel like a big small town to many people. ....I consider Columbia a small college town, and there are people reading this from somewhere smaller than that thinking Columbia isn't so small....so again ...it is all relative...I make my comparisons based on large cities and metros. St. Louis is medium size metro.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 PM

I moved here from right outside of Houston (4th largest city in the States), so you are right Fishtacos - it is all relative. Whatever you call it - city, town, village (kidding) - it is awesome and I love it! Great sports, restaurants, entertainment and midwestern folks. Call it what you will, it is a great "place"!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 AM

It is a city without a doubt. That's all I'm going to say. The only people who would call this place a town are people from the biggest cities in the United States or someone without common sense. Village lol oh boy is that what this major city is being reduced to?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:08 AM

2,153 posts, read 4,533,980 times
Seriously, almost ANYWHERE compared to Chicago, New York, LA and Houston is going to look small in comparison.

All it takes is a little common sense to realize that St. Louis is still a very good sized city. I will also agree with all the other posters, ST. Louis is a GREAT place to be.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 AM

4,679 posts, read 9,948,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
St. Louis is a VERY big Midwestern city, not a town Just wanted to clear that up. Columbia, MO is a town.
Ummm,,, sorry to throw more fuel to the semi-off-topic aspect of the OP's intent, but,,, she did use both words, "city" and "town", and IMHO, St Louis incorporates certain positive aspects of both terms; small enough feeling of a town, where it is easy to get from one end to the other, w/ people being friendly; yet still have all of the hustle/bustle plus other attributes that a city should offer [sports, restaurants, shopping, attractions, etc.], yet w/ the helpfulness and smile of town-folk.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Ummm,,, sorry to throw more fuel to the semi-off-topic aspect of the OP's intent, but,,, she did use both words, "city" and "town", and IMHO, St Louis incorporates certain positive aspects of both terms; small enough feeling of a town, where it is easy to get from one end to the other, w/ people being friendly; yet still have all of the hustle/bustle plus other attributes that a city should offer [sports, restaurants, shopping, attractions, etc.], yet w/ the helpfulness and smile of town-folk.
Maybe as far as community oriented I might agree it does seem somewhat like a town in say, its suburbs. But in terms of appearance, St. Louis definitely I would say feels like a big enough city. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. In any case, St. Louis will always be one of my favorite cities in the Midwest, second only to Chicago. I think you generally get the same type of feel as St. Louis in places similar to it like Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. All four are roughly the same size, and have small enough feelings of towns while at the same time having as you said ShadowCaver the "hustle and bustle" typical of decent-sized cities. What I will say right now is that St. Louis as far as size goes feels just right. I wouldn't want it any bigger than it is now, well, at least as far as the metro area goes. I would definitely like to see St. Louis City grow much larger in population. If St. Louis City and St. Louis County were still one and the same, all likelihood would be that St. Louis City would be in much better shape than it is now and certainly more populated. But one thing I'm almost certain of is that residents of St. Louis County would never allow the City and County to merge back together again....the last thing we want is to pay taxes to make St. Louis City look as decent as St. Louis County, which would cost a FORTUNE.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 PM

You all crack me up! If you asked me what St. Louis is, I would definitely say a city. For whatever reason, the word "town" was what came out on the original post. Either way, I'm glad we've all had some fun with the semantics! Cheers to all!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:02 PM

25,463 posts, read 11,120,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarBelle View Post
You all crack me up! If you asked me what St. Louis is, I would definitely say a city. For whatever reason, the word "town" was what came out on the original post. Either way, I'm glad we've all had some fun with the semantics! Cheers to all!
Just for grins, why do they call it 'downTOWN' ? ; Having been born and raised in St. Louis I consider St. Louis a 'city' But I refer to it as my homeTOWN. I don't think callinig St. Louis a town lowers any value of the great 'city'. Other problems within the city limits are doing that.

St. Louis has changed drastically from what it was when I lived there many moons ago. I grew up in a typical blue collar neighborhood and walked to school. We hardly ever locked our doors and knew our neighbors by first name. I even worked in the local family owned grocery down the block after school when I was 12 yrs. old. Delivered groceries on my bicycle. Great place to grow up. BUT, it has all changed and I hardly recognize the area when I Google Earth my old neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: