U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:39 PM

732 posts, read 828,938 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I'm looking at properties to rehab in the Soulard neighborhood. Is this area known for high crime? I was talking to some people and they said pretty much everything east of Jefferson and south of I-44 is going to be a problem. Is this true?

Would just securing my property and keeping the back well lit help against crime?

Last edited by goat314; 12-30-2010 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,220,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Hi guys

I'm looking at properties to rehab in the Soulard neighborhood. Is this area known for high crime? I was talking to some people and they said pretty much everything west of Jefferson is south of I-44 is going to be a problem. Is this true?

Would just securing my property and keeping the back well lit help against crime?
That whole jefferson line is super antiqauted. I've never heard anyone under 50 say it actually. Soulard has some property crime (garage and car break ins mostly) as you'll see with most city neighborhoods, but Soulard is absolutely not high crime.

And if you think you can get a property at a good price and rehab it, I'm sure there's money to be made. it's a really desirable area and the inventory has remained pretty stable over the last several years from all I have seen.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,042,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Hi guys

I'm looking at properties to rehab in the Soulard neighborhood. Is this area known for high crime? I was talking to some people and they said pretty much everything west of Jefferson is south of I-44 is going to be a problem. Is this true?

This makes no sense to me. The area's you're describing sound more like McKinley Heights, Benton Park, and Fox Park.
You need to brush up on your city neighborhoods map. (who doesn't)

ALL of Soulard is South of 44 and east of 55.

Boundaries: Soulard’s triangular boundaries are defined by 7th Street and Broadway to the Southeast and I-55 to the West and North. St. Louis Neighborhoods: Map

Old 12-30-2010, 02:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,159,920 times
Soulard is a great neighborhood. I would live there in a second.

I live in the area you described (Fox Park, Tower Grove East, Benton Park West) for four years now with no problems. I get so SICK of people saying that anything west of Jefferson is bad, its a very dated outlook. Fox Park is WAY better than it used to be, it's turned into an awesome little neighborhood. When the recession hit some development stalled, but several properties were still rehabbed. Every year I see more and more people moving in. Check this out: St. Louis City Talk: The Fox Park Neighborhood.

Tower Grove East has gorgeous housing and I would consider it the best of the three because of it's proximity to Tower Grove Park.

Benton Park West is the most unstable of the three, but it's been on its way up for years. With Cherokee becoming the new hipster place to be, it will only keep getting better.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,220,477 times
Wow -- my east/west reading ability is sketch today apparently.

Benton Park I like. McKinley is quiet. Fox Park has a ways to go, but doesnt seem to me overly dangerous. West Benton Park still has a good ways to go, though clearly progress has been made.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,111,523 times
Did you mean to say east of Jefferson? Saying everything west of Jefferson and South of 44 is bad doesn't make any sense.

If you are looking into rehabing, I almost can't believe there is much of a rehab market left in Soulard. Last time I looked there were 1 bedroom CONDOS selling for 150k+. In other words, if you can grab a property at a bargain and do a good job rehabbing it, you should have an easy time selling/renting for a nice profit. Be careful though of people trying to sell properties as "Soulard" when they are in fact in a nearby neighborhood. Fortunately as Moorlander pointed out, Soulard is very easy to define.

As for crime, I am quite certain that the vast majority of crime in Soulard involves dumb drunks urinating on flower beds and causing fights. Very little to no violent crime really happens there. I do think an errant robbery will happen every once in a while late at night, but nothing to be alarmed about. I would probably recommend motion sensor flood lights, and a house alarm wouldn't be a bad idea. But really I wouldn't be too concerned about crime in Soulard.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Wow -- my east/west reading ability is sketch today apparently.

Benton Park I like. McKinley is quiet. Fox Park has a ways to go, but doesnt seem to me overly dangerous. West Benton Park still has a good ways to go, though clearly progress has been made.
There are no parts of Fox Park I would consider dangerous, three years ago, maybe, but not today.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,042,908 times
If you're looking in "Soulard," don't overlook LaSalle Park. My cousin rents a historic rehab there and most people refer to it as Soulard. The streets don't have the continueity of other StL neighborhoods but it's a pretty nice spot.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 PM

^Good call, they have some gorgeous houses over there. I agree Boom, I can't imagine Soulard having much to rehab.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM

732 posts, read 828,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
This makes no sense to me. The area's you're describing sound more like McKinley Heights, Benton Park, and Fox Park.
You need to brush up on your city neighborhoods map. (who doesn't)

ALL of Soulard is South of 44 and east of 55.

Boundaries: Soulardís triangular boundaries are defined by 7th Street and Broadway to the Southeast and I-55 to the West and North. St. Louis Neighborhoods: Map
My bad I meant to say east of Jefferson. I actually know the city quite well just spent little time in Soulard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis