Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times

Advertisements

I personally have a major problem with a government deciding what businesses or industries are good and which ones are bad. If there's a major problem with Monsanto, you should attempt to get individuals to boycott their products, and the offspring OF their products. If the people started boycotting GMO foods, it would put pressure on the food manufacturers, if that happens you can bet you'll see those companies putting pressure on Monsanto to change their formulas, testing methods, and products because in the end the $$ wins....It's the whole Walmart argument, lots of people dislike that Walmart pays their employees poorly (when compared to some other businesses), but then the same complainer will go to Walmart and spend their hard earned money because their buck goes further there...I highly doubt you'll have a lot of luck changing the corporation, but don't think that government intervention is going to solve YOUR problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,419 times
That is a great point flynav. and yes perhaps boycott is a better solution than federal law adopting the same state laws we have the right to use to control corporate charter - its just one suggestion to solve the issue. you must first free your mind of the concept that the dollar wins. the dollar is worthless - not even backed by gross national product - its simply paper made off speculation in my opinion. but try to free the mind of people so ingrained that their only way of survival is to participate in the monetary system. try to tell someone that they have an inevitable right to the lands of the earth simply because they are alive and able to use it to their means. then IF you can convince them of that - you have to tell them that their inherent human rights to the lands dont mean anything because the only places left to inhabit are old superfund sites that Monsanto has left behind. tell your grandkids they are free but they arent allowed to do anything with their crops that feed their families because they will be sued for patent infringement and their lands taken from them because someone somewhere planted a patented seed that happened to cross pollinate with theirs. you are the one that has to tell your kids that money - over their human rights - is what makes them a success on this planet. they wont be hearing that from me. and if they want to learn from someone who has effectively freed themself from the monetary system and adopted sustainable systems to feed themself and their family for the rest of time... they can come find me and I will teach them those skills for FREE.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Carrie, you said that the farmers have a choice, but they really don't. Monsanto has a history of suing farmers when they have found their GM seeds on the farmers land -- even in cases where the farmer says they never planted it. However, that's pretty old news, and I haven't heard much about it in recent years.

To the OP, I am no stranger to the shady dealings of Monsanto. They claim, in many PR campaigns, to be on the side of the farmer, when realistically they simply aren't. That said, deciding to arbitrarily shut down a major corporation isn't something America does (hopefully ever!). Send the big bosses to prison? Sure, we do that all the time. But causing 20,000 employees to lose their jobs? That's extreme, especially given that Monsanto scientists have made great strides in food-growing technology.

It's the justice department you need to take this on.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
If anyone is interested in more on this, the best piece I ever read on the subject was published in 2008 in Vanity Fair:

Monsanto's Harvest of Fear | Politics | Vanity Fair

Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM

419 posts, read 1,332,655 times
Obviously if a farmer hasn't planted it, that is not ok.

Industry wide though, Farmer's who are loyal to Monsanto's GMOs complain about Monsanto and having to pay the annual trait fees yet continue to plant the seed and treat their crops with Round up year after year?! That's what I don't get?! Farmers CHOOSE to silo it and reuse THIS PARTICULAR SEED rather that obtaining seed from another company that isn't gentically modified or RoundUp ready.

Farmer's hate Monsanto and are pissed that they have to pay for it yet they CHOOSE to use Monsanto's traits year after year to get higher yields and larger ears. THAT is where the real problem lies. If the Farmer's didn't buy it and plant it, Frankencorn wouldn't be saturating the US food market. Oh yes, and the fact that the US Government/USDA doesn't protect Americans, allowing us to eat the Frankencorn AND levels of mold and mycotoxins not fit for cattle over the pond is unspeakable. That is truth, but a whole other post all together...

Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It's the justice department you need to take this on.
The DOJ began investigating them in 2009; not sure what happened though.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:09 AM

414 posts, read 884,473 times
The major problem is not Monsanto itself. Ever since US Patent office was allowed to issue patents on life (GMO seeds and others) there is been a major issue developing.

To put it simply, life is virulent. A successful strain, like a GMO, can take over regions in a matter of a few generations. Since Monsanto, or others, have patents on those specific genetics they can sue farmers who had no idea that their neighbors seed had blown over to their crop.

Ok, so you might ask, "Well what the heck is wrong with these 'superior' strains?" Outside of the legal issue, unnaturally resilient GMOs, in their rapid expansion, reduce bio-diversity. Each farmer used to have a legacy of seeds that they could trace back through their families generations. Each strain perfected for that farm's conditions. Now that all the farmers have the same or similar strains of crops a cataclysmic event such as a new plant disease (like the one making America's favorite type of bannana extinct) can wipe out a whole lot of acres. Whereas, when the farmer's had their heirloom seeds some of the farms would have naturally resistent crops. Farmer's would share/sell their successful seeds to their neighbors and all would right itself the next season. With these GMOs just one event will send global food prices through the roof.

For me, this has little to do with corporatism and a whole lot more to do with spreading awareness about these dangers. Hopefully to the point where the consumer and the farmer can lobby for better safeguards.

When facing titans it is much better to change them with pressure and insiders. If you try to topple them they will land on you and your community.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieNeno View Post
Oh yes, and the fact that the US Government/USDA doesn't protect Americans, allowing us to eat the Frankencorn AND levels of mold and mycotoxins not fit for cattle over the pond is unspeakable.
Pulling something off a shelf because it's deemed unsafe for a specific animal in a specific region wouldn't sit well with me. Requiring companies to state the makeup of their product (in plain language) giving you the opportunity to make up your mind as to what you eat...well that i don't have a problem with. But the last thing i want is some lawmaker (or worse, his/her lobbyist) making decisions on what my family is allowed to eat...Who says i can't reward my kid with a Happy Meal once in a while, and the fact that he gets a cheap-o made in china toy along with the deal has to be worth something as well!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:14 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USPatriot View Post
I really appreciate all of your comments so far. I know that St. Louis will probably ignore anything but the best qualities of Monsanto given that they are Missouri's top bread winner, but I am hellbent on getting the information that using your state laws could shut down main headquarters thus creating an international and eventually a global debate on their future existence. Then, if us subservient corporate slaves see that collectively we can rid ourselves of one poisonous institution from our globe we can use that knowledge to empower us to sniff out and eradicate ALL institutions that put their bottom line before the welfare of people and the environment.
Why don't you start with North Carolina and let us know how it works for you. We are the show-me state, you know.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USPatriot View Post
I really appreciate all of your comments so far. I know that St. Louis will probably ignore anything but the best qualities of Monsanto given that they are Missouri's top bread winner, but I am hellbent on getting the information that using your state laws could shut down main headquarters thus creating an international and eventually a global debate on their future existence. Then, if us subservient corporate slaves see that collectively we can rid ourselves of one poisonous institution from our globe we can use that knowledge to empower us to sniff out and eradicate ALL institutions that put their bottom line before the welfare of people and the environment.
Are you going to provide a link?

Do you live in Missouri or are you just stirring the political pot in the state forum? There are plenty of discussions regarding Monsanto in CD elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis