U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 5,779 times
Default State of Missouri vs. Monsanto Corporation

this is important. we have the right to exercise state laws that were drawn up back in the 50's that severely limit the rights of corporations to operate if we don't agree with their practices. I implore that the citizens of the townships in and around St. Louis and the entire state of Missouri please PLEASE use these laws to shut down and oust Monsanto's main corporate headquarters from your state. I believe that the popular consensus around the GLOBE is that this particular corporation has and is causing a lot more harm than good. I believe if the state of Missouri uses this technique other states will follow in your path. I know Monsanto commits a lot of money and resources to your state and create jobs for the people of St' Louis, but we the people from other states are being negatively effected by the introduction of this corporations products into our natural environments. PLEASE HELP US

its time for america to adopt a new Federal Law pertaining to our right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness: any business transaction that proves to cause third party collateral damage - "externalities" - (ie. pollution, scientific experimentation without the consent of over 60% vote, land damage, small business economic decline, ect) is illegal and punishable by loss of rights to operate business, remain a corporation, and/or imprisonment. this will also target the right for corporations to be considered a "citizen" in a court of law.
-Benjamin Chandler

-" Licking and Porter Townships in Pennsylvania, however, made history - by adopting ordinances that eliminate a corporation's ability to claim any constitutional rights as a "person."
- excerpt from "The Corporation"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,992,094 times
No.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM

2,473 posts, read 1,387,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
No.
Nicely done. What the hell is this guy even talking about?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM

What I'm talking about is the state of Missouri using your civil rights and laws to shut down a particular corporation located in St. Louis (Monsanto) that is causing great environmental harm through wanton use of untested genetically modified seeds and poisonous chemicals around the globe. is this really all that hard to deduct from the passages I've posted?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM

133 posts, read 380,984 times
I understand exactly what your'e talking about. I agree, Monsanto is evil. Those who don't know ( like the above posts) don't care. What you need to understand is this: St. Louis is essentially OWNED by Monsanto, AB, Purina, AT&T, and a few other corps. Ppl here will routinely respond just as these folks have ... " What? What are you talking about? Sounds like hippy crap to me! " Unless you have lived here and have a full understanding of just how conservative, and therefore oblivious , ppl here are ( in general) you can't fully appreciate how preposterous it seems to them that you could, or would want to shut down Monsanto. They work very hard at public relations here. I'm telling you, it won't happen and if it does, it won't come from locals here in STL. Sad but true.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,992,094 times
^Buddy I am as liberal as they come. And I am also very well aware of the issues surrounding Monsanto. I even agree that they do some pretty shady stuff, but so do many major corporations. But the notion that we should lobby our state government to dissolve a company that is a major driver of our economy is laughable. Maybe even insane.

If you oppose Monsanto then don't buy their products and reach out to their customers. Trying to recruit random people on a message board about the city this company is based in wasted keystrokes.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 PM

29,990 posts, read 19,619,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USPatriot View Post
What I'm talking about is the state of Missouri using your civil rights and laws to shut down a particular corporation located in St. Louis (Monsanto) that is causing great environmental harm through wanton use of untested genetically modified seeds and poisonous chemicals around the globe. is this really all that hard to deduct from the passages I've posted?
Please provide a link for your original post so we know what the heck you are talking about; specifically, the involvement of the state of Missouri.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 AM

419 posts, read 813,787 times
You realize this issue is much larger than Monsanto, right? As much as farmers despise Monsanto, as they are forced to pay royalties on their GMO seed usage every year... they have a choice not to use the product, yet they still do. By CHOICE. Why? Their yields are 3x the size and their fields are weed and drought-free. Without it, they can't compete as it has become industry standard. I am not talking about small, local farmer who sells at the local market. I am talking about farmer who supplies seed to companies like General Mills and Purina. BIG bucks.

If farmer's didn't demand it and refused to use it... Monsanto wouldn't exist. They would have no customers. The general public has no control over that issue.

Now that GMO seeds/technology is out there, there is virtually no way to eradicate it. Even without Monsanto, the bulk of the world would still be eating GMO crops. It comes down to the all-mighty dollar. GMOs have made the ag industry the most profitable one in the world. The farmers aren't suffering in this economy like the rest of us, as everyone still has to eat and they are achieving huge yields. If fact, the past 3-5 years have been the most profitable in history for most US farmers.

I shop at Whole Foods and local farmer's markets to avoid the GMOs, as I don't like to feed it to me or my children. I say that as someone whose husband work at Monsanto for 8 years and remains in the ag industry. I do that to keep my family healthy. My choice. Do I wish the GMO thing had never happened? YES! That being said, as a realist: the problem, as a whole, is too large for one little group to fix... particularly when the US government is one of the largest cheerleaders for companies like Monsanto.

Last edited by CarrieNeno; 01-09-2011 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM

I really appreciate all of your comments so far. I know that St. Louis will probably ignore anything but the best qualities of Monsanto given that they are Missouri's top bread winner, but I am hellbent on getting the information that using your state laws could shut down main headquarters thus creating an international and eventually a global debate on their future existence. Then, if us subservient corporate slaves see that collectively we can rid ourselves of one poisonous institution from our globe we can use that knowledge to empower us to sniff out and eradicate ALL institutions that put their bottom line before the welfare of people and the environment.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM

419 posts, read 813,787 times
No disrespect, while I appreciate your idealism, it is so much larger than the State of Missouri and one little Corporate hub. Monsanto, and companies like it, span the globe. GMO is here to stay, whether we like it or not, unless the UN collectively worked to put a stop to it which they won't. The fact is, the US supplies the world's food and there are lingering issues like this: Activist Post: 7 Reasons Food Shortages Will Become a Global Crisis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis