U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 744 times
Default Considering buying a home on Ohio in Gravois Park. Any residents care to chime in?

Hi.

I'm a native south city resident. I grew up in the Southampton area, and have lived in various apartments around town, namely in Dutchtown, Holly Hills, and the Gate District. My husband and I are strongly considering buying a charming little home in the Gravois Park neighborhood. It's on a stretch of Ohio between Chippewa and Winnebago.

I'm not naive about city living, but even life-long city residents get a twinge of apprehension about Gravois Park. I'm also aware that St. Louis tends to be street-to-street. I've noticed that there seems to be quite a few rehabbed homes on that stretch.

Any nearby residents familiar with that stretch of Ohio have any input? We're aware that the area is a little "rough around the edges," but we're in for the long haul and feel pretty strongly about being part of the urban revitalization going on in the city.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 AM

594 posts, read 607,279 times
^Since you are a south city native and are going in with your eyes wide open IMHO you and your spouse sound exactly like the kind of people Gravois Park need to turn the neighborhood around. Keep talking up South City and bring some friends. Good on ya.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,089,264 times
^
Amen

Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,658,048 times
Gravois Park really is about as bad as south city gets, as you obviously know, but I'd rather be further east in the neighborhood where you're looking than closer to Gravois Rd., so I'm not surprised to hear several of the homes have been rehabbed.

There's been some clear improvement along the Jefferson corridor, and there's little reason to imagine that trend reversing.

You sound like you're going into this with open eyes, so I say go for it. I mean the house is 30K: it's hard to imagine that being a bad investment!

Best of luck!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,029,920 times
I'm pretty sure there is a poster here who lives in Gravois Park, if I remember correctly. To echo what others have said, Gravois Park is probably far down the list of desirable St. Louis neighborhoods. But its proximity to Cherokee street and other thriving neighborhoods like Benton Park will hopefully push it in the right direction.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM

33 posts, read 34,690 times
Hey, I drive down that block occasionally, and it doesn't seem too bad. Also, that's on the southern fringe of the Gravios Park boundary, and a good distance from the less desirable areas of Gravois Park. Having a similar frame of mind, back in '08, my wife and I almost bought an attached house on Potomac, facing the actual park, that had been beautifully rehabbed. However, after a summertime, Friday night block observation, I declined. Deciding we still wanted a cool brick house in the city, though, we took the risk, and bought a rehabbed house, just a couple blocks South of Chippewa, so we're pretty close to that block on Ohio.
One of the main detractors, currently, for that area is summertime. You get an increase in street urchins, as it gets warm, so you'll hear occasional trash talk from people walking in front of your house. As long as they keep walking, though, it's not too bad. I do think you get more for your money in SouthStL, and I hope it will continue to revitalize. If you do go for that little bungalow, I wouldn't recommend shopping at that Sav-A-Lot on Jefferson. Seems like 4/5 visits are a bad experience, due to the riff raff that frequent that dive. I might go alone, if we really need something, but it's off limits to my wife and daughter.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,658,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B33nThere View Post
However, after a summertime, Friday night block observation, I declined.
This is such a good point. A neighborhood can seem real quiet when it's cold and all the thugs stay indoors. A lot of Chicago neighborhoods were like that too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis