Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times

Advertisements

Here's an article that I think will interest the posters here:

Regional Exchange Rates: The Cost of Living in US Metropolitan Areas | Newgeography.com

We harp on how great it is to live in a low COL metro often on here, but this article really drives it home. For example:

Quote:
Research by the US Department of Commerce Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA), for example, found that in 2006 a dollar purchased roughly 35 cents less in San Jose than in St. Louis.
That's awesome but it's not even the best part of this article. If you scroll down to personal income per capita, you see that St. Louis comes in the middle of the pack at #18 unadjusted for COL. But if you adjust for cost of living expenses, St. Louis ranks #6 for per capita income.

Low cost of living and proportionately strong incomes definitely contributes to a high quality of life in the area. These are the kinds of things I would point out to entrepreneurs looking for a place to start a business or to a family looking for an affordable place to lay down roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Love it! Thanks so much for posting.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Here's an article that I think will interest the posters here:

Regional Exchange Rates: The Cost of Living in US Metropolitan Areas | Newgeography.com

We harp on how great it is to live in a low COL metro often on here, but this article really drives it home. For example:

That's awesome but it's not even the best part of this article. If you scroll down to personal income per capita, you see that St. Louis comes in the middle of the pack at #18 unadjusted for COL. But if you adjust for cost of living expenses, St. Louis ranks #6 for per capita income.

Low cost of living and proportionately strong incomes definitely contributes to a high quality of life in the area. These are the kinds of things I would point out to entrepreneurs looking for a place to start a business or to a family looking for an affordable place to lay down roots.
That is certainly interesting but it does surprise me a little because I don't think house prices in St. Louis are cheaper than Kansas City, for example, or even Dallas Texas. I had a friend considering moving here from Dallas a year or so ago and he was really searching prices on the internet and felt that Dallas was actually cheaper for housing than STL. And I'm pretty sure KC metro is generally a little cheaper than STL.

In any event, I've always considered the low cost of living to be a great reason to stay here.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM

327 posts, read 968,227 times
You're right. Real estate is cheaper in KC.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 AM

Really, Dallas? I had a friend buy there and she thought it was significantly more expensive than St. Louis. Probably depends on the specific areas you are looking.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Very interesting--If only they factored in taxes.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I could see that, but from experience when folks i knew from St. Louis or Kansas City moved to Dallas, they purchased homes much larger than what they could have afforded in either of those two cities. As far as Kansas City, it is definitely cheaper than St. Louis...In my old city of Olathe, i could find homes in my subdivision that would have sold for 50-100k more in St. Louis, with similar commutes and school districts...all in all, i do believe KC is a little cheaper than St. Louis. Some areas are more comparable, and the most desirable areas of KC could probably run very close to ST. Louie.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 AM

^What would be the comparable area to Olathe in St. Louis? I was thinking somewhere like O'Fallon and I don't see anything near a 50-100k price differential for those places.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Very interesting--If only they factored in taxes.
You think St. Louis would rank worse if taxes were factored in? St. Louis' taxes in all but the most desirable locations are what I would consider quite low.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Not saying anything about St Louis dropping in rank because of taxes. Overall, taxes are an important part of the cost of living, and would therefore be useful to include. That said, it'd be very difficult to factor in, considering there's so many different types of tax.

Last edited by billiken; 02-01-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis