Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 17,350 times

Advertisements

I've searched the web, and there appears to be a lack, or minimal amount of gay life in the St. Louis area. The Website for the LGBTQ center has many old links and lists a lot of information as "unavailable" -- What's the scoop?

Thanks in advance....

+++ Chip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToColumbus View Post
I've searched the web, and there appears to be a lack, or minimal amount of gay life in the St. Louis area. The Website for the LGBTQ center has many old links and lists a lot of information as "unavailable" -- What's the scoop?

Thanks in advance....

+++ Chip

I'm lesbian and have lived in STL almost 20 years. There is a huge population of LGBTs in the STL area. Not sure what you mean by "gay life" though... Sounds like a rather outdated concept. There are many gay bars in the city: Magnolia's on Vandeventer and Clementine's in Soulard are the two most established. Manchester Road between Vandeventer and Kingshighway ("The Grove") has a bunch of L/G bars and gay owned/friendly restaurants. There are gay enclaves liked the Central West End and Tower Grove South (popular w/ the lesbian gals).

I think that the reason there are a lot of old links is because the majority of LGBTs are just living their lives in all areas of STL because we can!
But there's this: Gaystlouis « and this: The Vital Voice

I came out a year after I moved here and have been a participant/witness to the changing attitudes of the mainstream straight population of STL over the past 20 years. It's been nothing short of amazing to go from grungy gay bars and teeny lesbian coffee houses (anyone remember the Blue Moon Cafe on Gravois west of Grand?) where it was the only public place (other than Pride Weekend) you felt safe to put your arm around your significant other to now, if you're in the city, a gay or lesbian PDA is no big deal. That's not saying STL is San Francisco, but attitudes have changed significantly for the better.

Speaking of Pride Weekend, STL has the largest Pridefest in the midwest, second only to Chicago.

My partner and I live out in West County because we have kids. But our youngest is graduating from high school this May and we've already bought a house in uber gay friendly University City that we're moving to in May. We've never, as a lesbian couple/family, had any sort of harassment in West County. Our neighborhood has a lot of retirees but some young families, too, and everyone's been friendly. Our U City neighborhood is great. We've already met several neighbors as we're working on the house and have put in an order for Girl Scout cookies from the little girl a block away.

We don't know if we have any gay neighbors around us but we don't really care as long as we're treated just like anyone else. We are moving to U City because it's a progressive area and accepting of LGBT people.

Hope my perspective helps. What exactly are you looking for?

inahandbasket

Old 02-19-2011, 10:18 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
STL is 10th gayest city in the US, well, according to Advocate magazine: Gayest Cities in America | Travel | The Advocate

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 AM

55 posts, read 291,291 times
I also notice the fact that the community center website needs some updating, and was thinking of volunteering some time to update the site and make it more appealing..

Old 02-22-2011, 03:49 PM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
St. Louis has 4 different neighborhoods that have a heavy population of gay and lesbian individuals: the Central West End, Soulard, South Grand, and the up coming Grove area. We have probably more gay and lesbian bars than we need - but the advantage of this is we have many niche bars. If you visit them, you will find the one(s) that suit you. In Soulard, there are two bars: Clementine's and the Bastille. Clementine's is the oldest gay bar currently operating in St. Louis. There are several bars in the greater grove area: Magnolia's, JJ's, Bad Dog, Rehab, Attitudes, Novak's, Just John's, Ernie's 32, and soon to reopen, the Rainbow's End. In the West End, there is the Loading Zone. Off of Grand, you have the Complex and the Grey Fox. In the south end of the city are two neighborhood bars on the same block of Broadway: Korners and Hummels. Finally, another new bar is Keyper's on Jefferson. On the East Side, there is the only male strip club - Boxers and Briefs in Centerville, Escapades in Belleville, and Bubby and Sissy's in Alton IL.

If you are the sporting type, St. Louis is home to gay and lesbian softball, kickball, and volleyball leagues.

There is also a gay and lesbian chorale, and band together (instrumental performances).

Although there any likely many churches accepting of the LGBT community, there is a large gay and lesbian population at the newly build MCC church off Broadway in Soulard. I attended their Christmas concert a few months back, and it was very nice.

There are many organizations as well, and I am sure that you can find these on line. Try the gay yellow pages as a better reference.

When I moved here in 2001, I quickly learned that the best apartments are found by driving around neighborhoods I wanted to live in, and looking for signs. I myself live in a converted school house, and a large population of the building is gay. I found this while out in a bar, and learned that a friend I had made managed the property. They don't advertise on line - just hang the vacancy sign up when an apartment becomes available. I think you will find that applies to a lot of things in St. Louis - explore and enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis