Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I see what you're saying. You're distinguishing "a city" from "the city". Kirkwood is A city, while STL is THE city. got it.
Funny side note: I have a good friend who grew up on a farm in Southern Illinois. When his family needed groceries or supplies, they'd go to town. My friend became accustomed to saying that phrase, "go to town". After graduating high school, he moved to St Louis for work. Although he lives right in the middle of the city, he STILL says "I need some things from the store. Let's go to town". To which I reply, " Um, you're already IN town!".

Glad that was more clear! My grandparents moved down south to St. Francois County when they retired and when they said "go to town" they'd usually mean Farmington for Super Wal-Mart. But city was typically reserved for coming up to visit us or do some yearly shopping. I suspect they rarely even went within the St. Louis city limits on those trips -- mostly just West County Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 PM

51 posts, read 121,921 times
My wife and I occasionally used the phrase "going to town" while living in Baltimore, and we got some strange looks. Apparently it isn't a common phrase around there.

We lived in a central city neighborhood, so ironically we left the city for big box shopping in the burbs when we "went to town."

Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
I have a friend just outside of New Haven, MO (Franklin County) who says "going to town"-- but he isn't referring to New Haven. When he uses that phrase, he's headed to Washington, MO., where all the shopping is located.
And if he's coming into the STL urban area, he says he's "going to the city."

Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,289 times
Default correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
St. Peters and Kirkwood do qualify as bonafide cities, and they are also parts the St. Louis Metro region, anchored by STL. It's not impossible to be both, you know.

In a relatively short time, St. Peters went from a tiny village a decent-sized city. It's hard to believe that as recently as 1970, St. Peters had only 486 people! Since then, it's growth has been amazing. Today, St. Peters is actually one of the ten most populous cities in Missouri, with over 53,000 residents. The city is the home of Mid Rivers Mall, the St. Peters Rec-Plex, St. Peters Barnes-Jewish Hospital, and even an 18-hole golf course. St. Peters was named "One of America's 100 best places to live" by Money magazine.

The city of Kirkwood has a fairly long history, going back to its founding in 1853. Today, the city has a population of about 27,000 people. For a somewhat small city, it packs in a lot of amenities. Kirkwood has it's own train station, a bustling downtown area, an ice arena, an aquatic center, attractions (such as The Magic House), and Meramec Community College. If you've never been to the annual Greentree Festival, you should go. It's coming up on Sept. 16-18.

just to clarify, when you say Kirkwood has been growing lately, you are mistaken. If you look at the population growth statistics, it has surprisingly not grown much at all in the last ten years.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 AM

^Where did he say Kirkwood is currently growing? Of course it's not -- it's mostly built out.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 15,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think its sad. I always thought the city had great potential. What is really holding it back? People seem to think a republican agenda but none of your successful cities have that type of leadership.
New York's had several Republican leaders in recent years, most notably Rudy Giuliani. Many New Yorkers credit him with turning that city around in the 1990s.

That said, I can think of a lot more struggling cities with with Democratic leadership, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGS-97 View Post
Many New Yorkers credit him with turning that city around in the 1990s.
And many do not.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGS-97 View Post
New York's had several Republican leaders in recent years, most notably Rudy Giuliani. Many New Yorkers credit him with turning that city around in the 1990s.

That said, I can think of a lot more struggling cities with with Democratic leadership, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.
Almost all major cities have Democratic leadership both good or bad. That is a major red herring to imply that struggling cities = Democratic leadership. If you want to go there then we may as well discuss how struggling rural counties = Republican leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis