Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:41 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,523,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySTLbroker View Post
OMG, that has got to be the best thing written about STL in a long time. It is something I wish every American could read and absorb. St Louis is an amazing city, full of history, culture, character, and much much more. This is not news to me, but undoubtedly it IS news to much of America, who get their limited knowledge of STL from all the negative mainstream media reports. What it comes down to, really, is that a major overhaul of STL's image is sorely needed. St Louis has many of the makings of a world- class city, but STL-- and the world --- just needs to realize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM

18 posts, read 39,085 times
Milwaukee
St Louis
Nashville
Baltimore
Charleston
Birmingham
Cincinnati
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
Memphis
Tulsa
Tucson

Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 PM

150 posts, read 242,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
OMG, that has got to be the best thing written about STL in a long time. It is something I wish every American could read and absorb. St Louis is an amazing city, full of history, culture, character, and much much more. This is not news to me, but undoubtedly it IS news to much of America, who get their limited knowledge of STL from all the negative mainstream media reports. What it comes down to, really, is that a major overhaul of STL's image is sorely needed. St Louis has many of the makings of a world- class city, but STL-- and the world --- just needs to realize it.
St. Louis does get a bad rap. Some of it is deserved and some isn't. But to try and label St. Louis as a world class city is absurd. New York, London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, etc... St. Louis is nowhere near what could be called a world class city.

Last edited by topospace; 03-17-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 05:08 PM

70 posts, read 228,252 times
Actually, I think it was the LA Times that recently called St Louis the most under-rated urban destination IN THE WORLD. So yes, I think it's safe to say we are under-rated. And like some other posters, part of me likes it that way.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,523,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
St. Louis does get a bad rap. Some of it is deserved and some isn't. But to try and label St. Louis as a world class city is absurd. New York, London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, etc... St. Louis is nowhere near what could be called a world class city.
Just because STL isn't the biggest city in its nation, like all the cities you mentioned, doesn't negate the fact that it possesses many world-class characteristics-- certainly on a smaller scale than mega-cities.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Just because STL isn't the biggest city in its nation, like all the cities you mentioned, doesn't negate the fact that it possesses many world-class characteristics-- certainly on a smaller scale than mega-cities.
Where did I say St. Louis didn't have some of the characteristics of a world-class city. Show me a city, in the developed world, with a metro population of nearly 3 million that doesn't.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
Where did I say St. Louis didn't have some of the characteristics of a world-class city. Show me a city, in the developed world, with a metro population of nearly 3 million that doesn't.
I can think of several that are nowhere close to St. Louis -- Milwaukee, Kansas City, Memphis. Hell Dallas is huge and truly has fewer world-class characteristics than St. Louis.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I can think of several that are nowhere close to St. Louis -- Milwaukee, Kansas City, Memphis. Hell Dallas is huge and truly has fewer world-class characteristics than St. Louis.
Milwaukee, Kansas City, Memphis...all of those areas have a metro population of nearly 3 million? Wow, you need to work on your math skills.

So where is this list of a cities world-class characteristics that you are citing that proves your claim about Dallas?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
I would consider metros between 2 and 4 million to be pretty comparable. Sorry to have offended your sensibilities.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,959,095 times
I'd be more interested in hearing what the other listed cities are missing as opposed to what we have...Please do tell!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis