Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
Terrible. I can not believe a 'person' can do something like that
Sociopaths are souless; thus, not people in the way civilized society should define.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,622 times
Without knowing who this person is, I am not sure we can say they are a hardened criminal (perhaps I missed that in some article).

While not along the same lines as this, here is a story from my experience trying to press charges against an indivudual that stole my car. It begins with a stupid action on my part, and I can admit it. I was living in Soulard, and was out with friends drinking. Walking home, I opened the lcoked gate with my key, the gate leading to a courtyard, and then to my apartment. I often left my apartment unlocked if I were out at the bars on the corner, as the courtyard gate was always locked, and there were only 2 apartments that shared this courtyard. Aparently, this particular night, I left my keys in the gate, including the keys to my car. Now, this particular car did NOT have a remote to lock or unlock my car, and no alarm. Someone did get the keys, and easily enough found the car they belonged to parked on the street. The next day, my car was gone, and I reported it stolen. Within a few days, I myself found my car drving up the street. It had two very distinct features, including my NAME on the sales lot sticker (I had bought the vehicle of my parents in Northeast MO). I followed the car as I called the cops, who then pulled up behind me, eventually passing to stop they two in my car. They arrested the two for posession of stolen property. They were from a nearby neighborhood, and had nothing to prove the car was theirs, I had the title and everything to prove it was mine. However, as they had the keys, I was told the case would not be presecuted. These two young offenders were off scott free to steal again, this time with the knowledge that reporting they "bought" the car from some guy on the street whose only name they knew was a "street name" (and without paperwork), is explanation enough to avoid prosecution. I learned never to leave keys in the gate (again, my bad). I had delivered two thieves, only to be told to let it go. So yes, I do think we are a little liberal in our legal system.

By the way -- in no way was what I experienced comparable to what this unfortunate man and wife suffered. This is unaceptable behavior that fear of prosecution SHOULD deter, even if someone was bold enough to think of such a violent act.

Last edited by STLCityMike; 04-21-2011 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
Without knowing who this person is, I am not sure we can say they are a hardened criminal (perhaps I missed that in some article).
How many non hardened criminals do you imagine are out there randomly beating people to death?

If you beat someone to death with no motive I can't imagine what else you'd be called!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,622 times
Hardened criminals are habitual offenders. I have no idea if this person is a habitutal offender. Shame on our legal system for failing if he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis