Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:04 AM

26 posts, read 130,203 times

Advertisements

I've been following some of the news stories about the trouble in the city school districts, and a lot of people on the boards are recommending not to buy in St Louis School district. Are there other school disctricts that are still in the city limits, but in city neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 AM

572 posts, read 1,994,651 times
The regular public schools are the biggest mess. And I would not recommend them. The other public schools are magnet schools. Run be the same administration but you have to apply and be accepted. The schools focus on a specific area such as arts, math, science even gifted students. They are smaller and better run. I have two kids enrolled and things have been positive. The teachers care and students get along.
Another step is a charter school. I do not think they are free and then of course the private schools. Catholic, Lutheran, Christion etc... They will cost about $3000. per year. All this applies to pre K through 8th grade. I would not send my kids to a public high school. That means I need to have about $7000. a year available per student. To me, that's part of the cost of living in the city. Off set by gas, driving time and lower quality of living in the far suburbs.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 AM

26 posts, read 130,203 times
Thanks for the reply, Louie. What about areas like Afton or Webster, or Mehlville?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 PM

572 posts, read 1,994,651 times
Affton has both small wood frame houses and small & larger brick homes, Melville the same. Those homes are typically less expensive than the better nieghborhoods of south city. Webster is classier than the other two with a lot of two story wood framed homes, lots of trees, cute shops, etc... Webster will also be more expensive. Webster will probably offer the best public schools followed by Affton then Melville.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:44 PM

68 posts, read 316,672 times
Hey st louie louie
We are relocating to STL from NC in May and looking for a good magnet school for our rising kindergartener. We are looking in the west county areas between Ladue and Chesterfield at the farthest west. Magnet schools are by far the most popular here and the acceptance is very cut throat due to the overcrowding public schools. How is it there??

Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
I could be wrong but from my understanding, Charter and magnets are generally a city phenomenon because those are the schools with the most problems. If you lived in Ladue, Chesterfield or any other area of West County, the regular public schools are quite good and make magnets and charters unnecessary.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,393 times
Hey St. Louie, I'm looking for a school for my 4 year old to go to for just kindergarten or kindergarten up. I'd prefer a magnet or a private catholic school. Do you know the best ones? The area doesnt really matter.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
Hey St. Louie, I'm looking for a school for my 4 year old to go to for just kindergarten or kindergarten up. I'd prefer a magnet or a private catholic school. Do you know the best ones? The area doesnt really matter.
kennard is a very highly rated gifted magnet school in south st. louis

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 PM

320 posts, read 610,569 times
Funneling good families out of the city serves no one's interests. Go city public, get involved, invest yourself in fixing SLPS. Make the city awesome. If enough families that value education do this, results will follow, because lack of those families right now is the only reason SLPS are challenged. There is no excuse for the public schools to suck in good neighborhoods. Don't think this complacency doesn't taint the entire metro's viability as a climate for business investment. It absolutely does, and not stepping up certainly doesn't improve things.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,010,757 times
Holy blast from the past, didn't you already start a thread over here. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis