Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM

266 posts, read 464,053 times

Advertisements

After summer school ends it will be time for me to move again. I'm down to Maryland Heights or Hazelwood. When I first moved to STL, I lived in West County so I'm leaning toward Maryland Heights. However, it looks as if Hazelwood is cheaper, but, I'm not familiar with that area at all. Can you all tell me why Hazelwood is cheaper? Is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM

Also what are the racial demographics? I always thought Hazelwood was a Black area, but I'm looking at wikipedia and apparently it's not?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Hazelwood is definitely cheaper simply because it's not as desirable (not that Maryland Heights is particularly special per se). And H-Wood's schools are pretty bad. There's probably a much higher percentage of nasty apartment complexes in Hazelwood when compared

Racially it's an area in transition -- it's grown considerably more black over time -- it's hard to say what that means for long term, but as a white person you definitely wouldn't be out of place in Hazelwood.

I would suggest looking in Florissant or Ferguson -- I think both are nicer communities all around, but will still provide that "north county discount" you're looking for in rent. Florissant actually has a pretty cute old downtown area.

If you share what your budget is and what you're looking for (and where you work) we could probably offer better suggestions.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Hazelwood is definitely cheaper simply because it's not as desirable (not that Maryland Heights is particularly special per se). And H-Wood's schools are pretty bad. There's probably a much higher percentage of nasty apartment complexes in Hazelwood when compared

Racially it's an area in transition -- it's grown considerably more black over time -- it's hard to say what that means for long term, but as a white person you definitely wouldn't be out of place in Hazelwood.

I would suggest looking in Florissant or Ferguson -- I think both are nicer communities all around, but will still provide that "north county discount" you're looking for in rent. Florissant actually has a pretty cute old downtown area.

If you share what your budget is and what you're looking for (and where you work) we could probably offer better suggestions.

Thanks. The cheap prices made me suspicious.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:09 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Hazelwood's cheapness is most likely as a result of it's schools. While decent (Hazelwood West) and Mediocre (Hazelwood Central) are ok, the sore spot is Hazelwood East HS which hasn't been even on par with the other two in ages. As far as safety goes, i wouldn't feel unsafe in any of those areas, crime shouldn't be to out of hand, and the ethnical makeup probably isn't as one sided as you think.

Maryland heights is a nice suburb too. They have a local YMCA, Creve Coeur Lake/Park, a waterpark, golf course (non-city owned, but very nice) plus close access to the major beltway of I-270. They're also served by the Pattonville school district which would typically be viewed as superior to Hazelwood, parts of Maryland Heights MIGHT be in the Parkway district as well, but those areas might just be unincorporated. It'll cost you a little more money to live there, but that'd be my choice as opposed to hazelwood or florissant.

My big issue with the far reaches of North County isn't safety, but traffic...At rush hour the further East you go on I-270, the more of a nightmare it can become, especially if you decided to go further East than Lindbergh, gah!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Hazelwood's cheapness is most likely as a result of it's schools. While decent (Hazelwood West) and Mediocre (Hazelwood Central) are ok, the sore spot is Hazelwood East HS which hasn't been even on par with the other two in ages. As far as safety goes, i wouldn't feel unsafe in any of those areas, crime shouldn't be to out of hand, and the ethnical makeup probably isn't as one sided as you think.

Maryland heights is a nice suburb too. They have a local YMCA, Creve Coeur Lake/Park, a waterpark, golf course (non-city owned, but very nice) plus close access to the major beltway of I-270. They're also served by the Pattonville school district which would typically be viewed as superior to Hazelwood, parts of Maryland Heights MIGHT be in the Parkway district as well, but those areas might just be unincorporated. It'll cost you a little more money to live there, but that'd be my choice as opposed to hazelwood or florissant.

My big issue with the far reaches of North County isn't safety, but traffic...At rush hour the further East you go on I-270, the more of a nightmare it can become, especially if you decided to go further East than Lindbergh, gah!
Thanks. Yeah I'm thinking that North County will just be too far out of my way.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

I'm a student, so I only work in the summer. I do need suggestions on finding clean, modern apartment buildings anywhere in STL. My budget is 500-650.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 AM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
Where is school for you? It seems you are ruling out St. Louis City -- if school is in the county, I can uderstand.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
She wants new construction.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
^Under $650 the OP's options in newer construction would be pretty limited no matter the area they're looking. So they're probably either looking at an older '70s or '80s era complex in the county, or, if interested, a nicer, possibly mostly redone, apartment in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis