Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM

256 posts, read 614,302 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a place to retire and Lake St. Louis caught our eye. We would like any information on the community. House values look affordable to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:15 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,499,088 times
We have a regular poster, Dinsdale Piranha, who used to live there and liked it. I'm sure you'll hear from him/her.

I grew up not terribly far from there in St. Peters and it's a very pretty area, though far from any city amenities and cultural activities (as well as employment centers, though that doesn't sound like an issue for you).

I imagine it's a great place to retire!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:20 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,951,675 times
Here I am!

Its an awesome, affordable family oriented community and made living in Missouri tolerable. There are a lot of transplants living there with active clubs for all all ages. If you like boating or fishing you will be in Heaven.

The only downsides are a lack of evening activities and non-franchise restaurants. Better shopping is about 15 miles away although the Meadows shopping center recently opened a von Maur Store.

Make sure you find a home within Community Association Boundaries so that you have access to the CA Amenities.

City of Lake Saint Louis, Missouri, USA*
Lake Saint Louis Community Association - Lakes & Vacation Style Living
Home (local news with home sales)

Old 06-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Thank you. We are from California, so driving will not be an issue. My daughter has competed at the the Lake St. Louis Horse Shows when she travels to Missouri to work for a trainer in Chesterfield, so that fact there are horse shows to watch is a plus for me. What are the taxes like? Specifically property taxes and income taxes. Coming from California any lower than here will be a blessing.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM

Taxes are lower (obviously) than in CA. And since home prices are cheaper, you will be paying less in taxes overall

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Lake St. Louis, MO snapshot

You will have to get use to registering your car (and paying the requisite fees) at the dmv, and then paying your personal property tax at another location. If you plan on bringing outboard boat motors, you need to present papers to have it titled like a car.

Lake Saint Louis is all electric. You may have some sticker shock on the electric bills (especially in the winter)

Gasoline is Cheaper, Food, Beer and wine are about the same.

Many Locals think LSL is out in the boonies, but in reality, Saint Louis City is an easy 30-35 mile drive.

As you know, the National Equestrian Center is top notch. There is also another stable near on the Big Lake near Foxtrail Drive.

There is definitely a laid back, coastal vibe in LSL and many local spend a great deal of time on the lakes (sailing, fishing water skiing) or in other fitness activities. Far less obese people than the rest of the region.

Unlike other parts of the StL Metro Region, Lake Saint Louis is very friendly toward transplants, and there are plenty of community association clubs, groups and events to make you feel welcome.

I consider myself a typical east/west coast liberal, and had no problem in making friends with mostly conservative neighbors (to show you how conservative the place is, most people buy their groceries at the WallMart on Ronald Reagan Boulevard)

Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Thank you so much for the info. It was very informative.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 PM

I grew up in Huntington Beach and lived near the intersection of Warner and Edwards. I moved to Riverside County for horse property. I do miss Huntington Beach.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
I grew up in Huntington Beach and lived near the intersection of Warner and Edwards. I moved to Riverside County for horse property. I do miss Huntington Beach.
I Know the Area. We are buying a condo at Surfside on Warner (Between Bolsa Chica and PCH.

I keep get drawn back to HB. Its not the prettiest of the coastal Cities, but it probably has the most going on (outside of Laguna). Love being able to walk to the Beach, Harbor, Wetlands and all the restaurants and clubs.

If you can handle Riverside, you will love Lake Saint Louis. Actual Horse Property may be difficult to find, but as I have mentioned there are properties within the Community Association where you can walk to the stables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis