Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:29 PM

425 posts, read 955,502 times

Advertisements

I originally posted in the KC forum, and was pointed to the St. Louis forum by a poster, who was kind enough to messege me some great info about St. Louis.

I am looking to relocate from NYC, to somewhere more affordable, while still having decent public transit, and in a "safe" area (in the sense that if you use common sense, odds are in your favor you will be just fine...there is no such thing as 100% safe area, however I would like to avoid any areas similar to Newark,NJ or East New York or Bushwick sections of Brooklyn, for any of you who are familiar with NYC)

I would be working from home, but may look for side work to supplement my income if things get slow. I would like to find an area that is walkable, that I can get my day to day needs either within a relativly quick walk (in my current area, I walk about 10-15 blocks for food shopping at 4 different stores) so I don't expect things to be right outside my door.

breakdown
-looking to spend $800-$1000 for a 1BR or 2BR
-access to food,hardware store and other day to day needs by foot or transit.
-access to pro sports teams, and arenas (big wrestling fan, would like to see WWE when they come to town)

for example how is the area this apt (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2429958946.html - broken link) is in? would it be a good fit for me.

Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 PM

529 posts, read 1,002,640 times
We colo our servers near there and I can tell you that downtown is safe. There are more cops on patrol in downtown than just about anywhere else in STL. You can walk to all three sporting facilities from that location as well, the Ed being the furthest at about a 15min walk.

You are close to Busch so expect a lot of traffic around there during game days. It makes for a festive atmosphere and it looks great except that I am usually there to work and it can be a bit of a PITA to find parking.

I don't shop down there so I can't really tell you for sure. You would be close to a Metrolink station and access to different parts of the city would be easy. Hopefully others who live down there can chime in with more info. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by pdm_ad; 06-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: cleaning up my messy typing

Old 06-09-2011, 03:57 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,491,703 times
I know why you'd like that spot -- so close to Busch!

Very safe neighborhood, just a touch desolate at some (non-baseball) times of year, but right next to the metro station so you can get around quite well. A very solid option.

The section of downtown that is most vibrant is called the Washington Avenue Loft District or Wash Ave. The epicenter of that is at like Washington and Tucker and every year it seems to expand a bit more. There's even a downtown grocery store called Culinaria.

Other great neighborhoods to check out would be: Central West End, anything near The Loop, Tower Grove South, Soulard, Benton Park.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:15 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,583,002 times
OP - I'd suggest downtown, the Central West End, Skinker-Debailiver, University City, and Clayton. All of those areas are located along the MetroLink light rail line and have good shopping and nightlife.

The apt listed, is just west of Busch Stadium and just east of the Scottrade Center and soon to reopen Peabody arts center. Great access to transit, nightlife and everyday needs.

For those days you would need a car, check out WeCar car sharing program. And downtown also has a brand new, state-of-the-art commuter bike station and bike shop.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Thanks for all the great info.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone for your helpful information, KC looks to be a viable option to consider as does St. Louis. I have spent much more time researching Portland,OR and as of now it is still the front runner, but I will spend more time looking into both Mo. cities before making a final choice.

I will be working from home for the most part, doing freelance comic writing and art, as well as other freelance projects. Another reason PDX was a go to option is besides it's great public transit, it is the unofficial comic book creators capital of the United States, a good amount of the most well known pro's now live there, as well as some more in Washington State.

The low cost of living in KC & STL, is really appealing as well as the pro sports options.

Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,854,438 times
Portland has an amazing mass transit system, its hard to compete. However, STL metrolink is pretty good if you live in the right area. If you live downtown, all the major sports venues are there, making it convenient. I have friends that do not have cars and completely rely on the system.
KC has no light rail, so you would more than likely need a car.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:10 AM

14 posts, read 19,590 times
Default Midtown to Clayton

If you want a more urban feel, Central West End would be a good bet, but getting around to basic stores would be more difficult there given the distance to grocers. Clayton would be my best bet given closer proximity to major grocers and stores, plus it is safer and cleaner.
Best of Luck to you.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,491,703 times
^ There's a Schnucks and a Straub's in the CWE. As well as another little grocer whose name I Can't remember at the moment -- But they have a delicious deli; I do remember that!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:10 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,400,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^ There's a Schnucks and a Straub's in the CWE. As well as another little grocer whose name I Can't remember at the moment -- But they have a delicious deli; I do remember that!
Are you thinking of Kopperman's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis