U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times

Advertisements

Actually I love all of those cities save Detroit (poor poor Detroit) and am more than happy to be in their company. Thanks Tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,077,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solid Truth View Post
How do you spell Nuggetts?

This is great banter - I love stirring the pot with the reactionary locals. After I make my money, complete my contract and split, I'm gonna miss this.

This has been great fun. Here's my final post:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/02/0226_miserable_cities/3.htm

America's Most Depressing Cities:

1) Portland, OR
2) St. Louis, MO
3) New Orleans, LA
4) Detroit, MI
5) Cleveland, OH

Notice that number (2) is the only one without an NBA team, the original subject matter of this thread. Do you really want an NBA team here and be considered along with these cities?

Good luck to those Rams. You guys want Jay Cutler? He can back up Marc Bulger when he is out with the annual concussion.

Peace!

Lol...I see you are really getting desperate. That's funny. Lists are manufactured to sell Magazines. You fell for that but that's not surprising considering your post history. Some of the data used isn't even accurate. Denver is on a lot of lists for things such as top worst housing market etc...we can go back and forth on lists all you'd like. Considering this is a sports thread, When was the last time Denver was voted Best Sports city in America by the Sporting News? ...you aren't a very good representation of Denver nor its metro area.

You came here, you posted without knowledge or fact, you were exposed, no hard feelings. Good luck on your relocation. For someone that doesn't like St. Louis, you sure do post more here than the Denver forum or elsewhere. lol.

Last edited by Fishtacos; 03-17-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 19,026 times
St, Louis had the Hawks from the NBA years ago. they couldn't make a financial go in St. Louis and moved to Atlanta St. Louis is a baseball Cardinal town. the St. Louis Browns gave up after 1953 and went to Baltimore, where they became the Orioles. the football Cardinals finally gave up and went to Phoenix. the Rams may stay, or may not. i don't think it matters to most sports fans in St. Louis. the Blues seem to be hanging on, but St. Louis wasn't a hockey town till the Blues franchise opened around 1966 or so.

one thing that may hurt the baseball Cardinals in the next 30 years is that they traded from KMOX, a high power station that could be heard throughout the midwest, to a local low power station currently called KTRS.

generations of boys across the midwest became men, then old men, while listening to Cardinal games called by legendary broadcasters like Jack Buck and Harry Carey on KMOX. sadly, those days are gone.

anyways, back to NBA Basketball. St. Louis wouldn't support a team any more now than it has in the past.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 PM

389 posts, read 769,666 times
thanks cristi that's a wonderfully informative post. you really did a wonderful job of bridging together the 40 years when St. Louis last had an NBA team. You also did a wonderful job explaining why St. Louis wouldn't support an nba now anymore than it has 40 years ago. Kudos. The "this is a baseball town" part did you think of that all your own? Its brilliant, and the part about most sports fans being indifferent about the rams you really did a wonderful job of gauging the pulse of the St. Louis sports fan. Wonderful post all together.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristi5110 View Post
St, Louis had the Hawks from the NBA years ago. they couldn't make a financial go in St. Louis and moved to Atlanta St. Louis is a baseball Cardinal town. the St. Louis Browns gave up after 1953 and went to Baltimore, where they became the Orioles. the football Cardinals finally gave up and went to Phoenix. the Rams may stay, or may not. i don't think it matters to most sports fans in St. Louis. the Blues seem to be hanging on, but St. Louis wasn't a hockey town till the Blues franchise opened around 1966 or so.

one thing that may hurt the baseball Cardinals in the next 30 years is that they traded from KMOX, a high power station that could be heard throughout the midwest, to a local low power station currently called KTRS.

generations of boys across the midwest became men, then old men, while listening to Cardinal games called by legendary broadcasters like Jack Buck and Harry Carey on KMOX. sadly, those days are gone.

anyways, back to NBA Basketball. St. Louis wouldn't support a team any more now than it has in the past.
Okay, I'll be the one to respectfully disagree here. I do not agree that St. Louis is "only" a baseball Cardinal town. St. Louis is a sports town, regardless of sport. While it is true the baseball team has the largest local following, and while it is true that following exists regionally and nationally as well, St. Louis itself, is a sports town regardless of sport. Let's take a look:

The Cardinals have been around since the 1800's, and since that time, the Cardinals have been successful every other decade, and by that I mean most of that decade. And, in some cases consecutive decades, over 100 years.

St. Louis is and was a town that was unable to support two professional baseball teams at the same time for any extended period. The Cardinals were for a long period the Southern most and Western most team in Major League Baseball. And, the radio affiliate KMOX was more powerful than most nationally, reaching almost all 50 states. That was big prior to the television era. Generations and generations would pass down their Cardinal fandom annually, and thus the size and scope of Cardinal Nation is wide. It helps to have winners. The Cardinals are second only to the NY Yankees in success.

The move away from KMOX will not be that big of a deal to younger generations, because those people do not listen to games on the radio in large numbers. It is television, internet, etc...and it will be up to people to pass down their fandom over generations. Some will and others will have children who root for other teams in other areas.

Make no mistake, St. Louisans love their sports teams, and as long as you are competitive they will support you. Imo the St. Louis Blues have the most loyal fan base in all of St. Louis.

To say St. Louis is not a football town, would be incorrect too. The Rams sold out ALL, 100% of their games for its first dozen seasons. Most of those seasons were terrible in terms of product. You cannot get much better than that. What St. Louis has is a long history of bad football teams, run by inept owners and management. That doesn't mean people don't like football. That would be the wrong conclusion to make. Football is well supported in St. Louis. Again, the Rams have had stronger competition with other regional teams for fans, due to history. Chicago, GB, KC, etc...something the Cardinals baseball never had to go through. However, the Rams still are extremely well supported.

The Mizzou Tigers football and hoops sell out their annual Stl game and in the case of hoops, in under an hour each season. St. Louis routinely gets College hoops men's and women's final fours, hockey final fours, NCAA wrestling championships, and on and on and on ...each year.

It'd be a mistake to say St. Louis is a baseball town. Many people say that, and they'd all be underinformed. That's only part of it. You couldn't be more wrong about the Rams, and whether or not people in St. Louis care. You grossly underestimate their local support. People are rightfully upset about the lack of competitive play in recent years, but most of those games still sold out. Now, with new ownership, new upper management, GM, Player Personnel Director, Coach etc...the Rams are moving in a much better more stable and competitive direction.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
thanks cristi that's a wonderfully informative post. you really did a wonderful job of bridging together the 40 years when St. Louis last had an NBA team. You also did a wonderful job explaining why St. Louis wouldn't support an nba now anymore than it has 40 years ago. Kudos. The "this is a baseball town" part did you think of that all your own? Its brilliant, and the part about most sports fans being indifferent about the rams you really did a wonderful job of gauging the pulse of the St. Louis sports fan. Wonderful post all together.
I couldn't respectfully disagree more.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:22 PM

389 posts, read 769,666 times
Hmm...I guess my post wasn't dripping with the sarcasm I had in my head. Fishtacos, I didn't like her post. Sorry if I confused you, I'll do a better job being sarcastic next time. I hated her post, I thought it was broad general and just her pontificating without backing anything up. I repeat Cristi made a horrible post.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
Hmm...I guess my post wasn't dripping with the sarcasm I had in my head. Fishtacos, I didn't like her post. Sorry if I confused you, I'll do a better job being sarcastic next time. I hated her post, I thought it was broad general and just her pontificating without backing anything up. I repeat Cristi made a horrible post.
Then my bad as well. I read pretty quickly and multi-task most of the time here and missed that one.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,229,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
I couldn't respectfully disagree more.
http://www.hygen.net/Malaysia/files/u1/alert.jpg (broken link)
That's a sarcasm alert.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 AM

308 posts, read 366,235 times
Hi everyone. New poster here. I only registered for this forum because of this thread. There was something interesting on this issue in the Post the other day:

http://more.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...7?OpenDocument

Quote:
AN NBA TOWN

St. Louis has had an NHL team since the late 1960s and been without an NBA franchise since the late '60s. But there's no doubt about which league is more popular on local television, as basketball is a slam-dunk winner.

The Nielsen numbers show that 7.6 percent of area homes with a TV tuned in, on average, to the recently completed NBA Finals — nearly three times the 2.6 figure the Stanley Cup finals drew. The decisive NBA game pulled a 13.1 rating, overwhelming the Cup-deciding overtime contest's 4.8 figure.

The ratings difference was even bigger for the semifinal rounds. The NBA averaged a 3.7 rating, the NHL number was 1.0.

And the NBA had only one more game on over-the-air TV than did the NHL in those rounds.

The figures reinforce the notion that the Blues have a loyal local following (they had the fifth-best local ratings this season of any U.S. based NHL team), but there aren't a lot of NHL fans in general in the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or