U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 AM

264 posts, read 342,023 times
Looks like the league is moving New Orleans Hornets to Kansas City. Well.. that's a 3 hour drive to watch my Lakers once every year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 PM

58 posts, read 73,981 times
Thought this was interesting...
Quote:
Plus, Dave Checketts, the Blues' owner, is close to ending his search for new investors. According to Davidson, the interest to invest in the team shows that the Blues are becoming a more viable member of the city's business community.

"He's been pretty busy with it and there's been plenty of interest," Davidson said of Checketts' quest to find new partners, one Checketts said Tuesday is near its finish. "St. Louis is a good hockey market. There is a lot of corporate interest. He's had a lot of very good people very interested in being a part of it."
I guess Checketts might actually have new investors by the end of the year like previously reported.

Davidson: NHL Has Lots to be Excited About - St Louis Blues - News

Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,232,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefuscia View Post

I guess Checketts might actually have new investors by the end of the year like previously reported.

It's amazing what a couple of winning seasons will do for you.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:10 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,873,277 times
Quote:
The tiny market Hornets will continue to be approached by the usual bidders from Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, etc., but from what I am hearing, the league has only mild interest in moving the Hornets to another small market, especially one with intense competition from other pro franchises, quality arenas notwithstanding. That means Kansas City and St. Louis are unlikely destinations, and for different reasons, and almost as unlikely, are Anaheim (third team in So Cal?) and San Jose (Lakob and Guber just spent a fortune acquiring the Warriors and the Bay Area territory, and the Maloofs (we will not sell!) are trying to invigorate their market in Sacramento). Plus, the economy in Las Vegas is horrific. Good luck getting the Nevada legislature and/or voters to pass public financing for an arena. No chance. Besides, the league hates the gaming/lifesyle temptations, especially after the All-Star Game fiasco.
No, the most appealing market for a future NBA franchise - the Hornets if they can't financially survive in New Orleans - remains an old personal favorite: Seattle. The Sonics' former hometown will get another team as soon as some local billionaire is willing to build an arena and spend a fortune on purchasing a franchise, and most deservedly so.

Read more: Kings Blog and Q&A: NBA pitching a team effort (good luck!)
Granted, it's just one guy's opinion, but:
Kings Blog and Q&A: NBA pitching a team effort (good luck!)
-RBB@ Urbanstl.com

Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,824,602 times
^ Interesting points, but I'm not sure he sucessfully discounts KC. Yes, they have pro football and baseball, but they don't have an NHL team (which is the NBA's greatest competition) and they already have a gorgeous venue all ready to go.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:26 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,568,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
It's amazing what a couple of winning seasons will do for you.
...And deep discounting, and solid marketing and pr.

John Davidson is a savvy experienced Broadcaster turned team exec. I wouldn't expect anything less from him, especially on the team's official website.

I would concur with style of play. Brett Hull used to say the game didn't need a bigger surface or big changes, it just needed officials who would enforce the rules of the game.

The Blues haven't won a playoff game since 2004. The patience of the good Blues fan is wearing thin.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 PM

389 posts, read 521,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefuscia View Post

Yup. Strickland was right......

Anywho it'll be interesting to see who he gets and how it works out for the Blues. They'll never a win Stanley Cup though, you can't trespass where you don't belong and expect to win. Still maybe they'll have a shot at being competitive.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,023,611 times
I wish the Clippers would move over there, I hate them being in L.A., I don't care if they make too much money in L.A., they are an ugly forgotten step-child of a Sports team here in Southern California, what I don't understand is that if Southern California has fairweather fans, only likes winning teams, then why will they support the Clippers?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM

506 posts, read 431,289 times
My understanding is that there's a lot of talk of bringing the Grizzlies to St. Louis, as they aren't making any money down in Memphis and wouldn't have to build a new stadium in StL.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 PM

1,061 posts, read 790,569 times
I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that the NBA and NHL have a sort of handshake agreement to not put a competing team in a market that they worry cannot support both. This is the reason that I've heard that cities like Milwaukee don't have an NHL team. It's sort of like the NHL agrees to not impact the Bucks by adding hockey to the entertainment dollar in Milwaukee, and the NBA follows suit by staying away from places like Pittsburgh and St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis