Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM

20 posts, read 60,380 times

Advertisements

Since the Ladue school district is in my top running, just wondering if I should consider new homes in Olivette that are in the Ladue school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Definitely! Olivette is normally more affordable than Ladue itself but is still a safe area (about half the national crime average) with some great mid century housing stock. Plus, being in the Ladue school district your resale value should be fairly good if you ever decide to move on.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Ladue and Olivette are extremely expensive and exclusive thus creating a tax base that can and does afford superior public education opportunities.

Other than nit picking tax assessment rates on property you can't go wrong.

If you can afford it then by all means enjoy the benefits.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Ladue and Olivette are extremely expensive and exclusive thus creating a tax base that can and does afford superior public education opportunities.

Other than nit picking tax assessment rates on property you can't go wrong.

If you can afford it then by all means enjoy the benefits.
Olivette isn't extremely expensive by any means- at least not compared to Ladue. Currently, the average house value in Olivette is $238k compared to $679k in Ladue.

As for taxes, in Olivette at least while they're a tad bit higher than where I live in Florissant, they're not exorbitant. An average 3 bed 2 bath mid century home is usually looking at $2000-$2500 in taxes per year in Olivette. I'm not sure what Ladue taxes are like, but considering the cost of the houses I'd assume a lot more!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger96 View Post
Since the Ladue school district is in my top running, just wondering if I should consider new homes in Olivette that are in the Ladue school district?
I think that's just a matter of personal preference.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM

41 posts, read 150,313 times
If you want a new home in the Ladue school district, Olivette is a good option. When we were looking, we decided to buy an existing home in Ladue because it was much more affordable than new construction.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times
There are pockets of Olivette, primarily in the neighborhoods north of Olive Blvd, where you still have high concentrations of older, some not so well maintained, ranch homes. I'm going to say 10 to 15 years ago (I believe) there was an influx of "suburban pioneers" buying those ranches, tearing them down, and building nice 3000-4000+ square foot new builds, and since the school district is excellent, they were fetching 600, 700, even 800. Well, the infill never hit manifest destiny proportions, so you have a lot of folks up there who are waiting and anxious for the dominos to keep falling. Fair market value in those neighborhoods may still be hovering 20% below peak (very roughly speaking). The apartments along Olive also tend to be lower income, transient folks too. So it's a little bit speculative up that way. The southern portion of Olivette, however, including most of the neighborhoods that radiate from Old Bonhomme, is quite nice, uniformly affluent, and practically indistinguishable from Ladue.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:01 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Olivette isn't extremely expensive by any means- at least not compared to Ladue. Currently, the average house value in Olivette is $238k compared to $679k in Ladue.

As for taxes, in Olivette at least while they're a tad bit higher than where I live in Florissant, they're not exorbitant. An average 3 bed 2 bath mid century home is usually looking at $2000-$2500 in taxes per year in Olivette. I'm not sure what Ladue taxes are like, but considering the cost of the houses I'd assume a lot more!
Really?? Let's take a look shall we?

Olivette Real Estate - Olivette, MO Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

I see over 10 homes in the Olivette zip code over 700,000 dollars and many more in the half million dollar range.

This drives the cost of homes that would normally be considered much more moderate in size and price simply because they exist within the confines of the School district.

Please list your source for average cost that you listed.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 PM

I was looking at Zillow- I realize ZEstimates are often way off, but for the overall area (since it's based on Zip Code) I've found it to be fairly accurate.

I realize that there are lots of properties for more, (more in line with the Ladue price range) but there are also properties for less. DH & I looked at one house in Olivette last year that was for sale for $120k (a total bargain for the area) but it went under contract VERY quickly.

North of Olive Blvd in particular you'll find plenty of houses $300k and under. Not including Condos, there are 15 Single Family Homes in Olivette priced under $300k (some of them in the $150k and less range). This drives down the overall average price for the area.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
I had looked at Olivette as well, while I absolutely love the school district I wasn't so thrilled with the condition of some of some of the subdivisions North of Olive Blvd. But the house prices, along with the stellar school district, essentially guarantees good home prices moving forward.

The areas to the South of Olive Blvd are very nice as well, some of the new construction I can remember seeing in that area did seem a bit overpriced though, especially in the 05-08 housing heyday. I can specifically remember a gorgeous new home, that took up nearly all of it's postage stamp sized yard, that carried an asking price of $800k...the only thing that justified it was new construction in an area where that's hard to get, and being in the Ladue School District. That home sat on the market for ages, but was somewhat of an attraction on open house days, since it was clearly the nicest home in the neighborhood. The zillow estimate puts the homes value around $450k, which might be a bit low now, and shows that it sold for almost $700k in 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis