Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM

9 posts, read 14,367 times

Advertisements

I'll be house hunting this weekend in STL. Can anyone please comment on these addresses?

-2900 block of Michigan Avenue (between Arsenal and Pestalozzi) (Tower Grove East)
-9900 block of Gilbrook Avenue in Rock Hill
-Ambergate Drive in Webster Groves
-1200 block of Meyer in U. City
-3200 block Alfred Avenue at Wyoming Street (Tower Grove South?)
-5600 block Arthur Avenue at Regal Place (near Tiles Park)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
The ones in St. Louis county are all safe with good schools but can be pricey. If you have kids the county will be easier to do. These areas I can be more specific about:

-2900 block of Michigan Avenue (between Arsenal and Pestalozzi) (Tower Grove East)

A transitioning neighborhood that is very walkable but has significant property crime and occasional violent crime. Very good location with regard to bars and restaurants though.

-3200 block Alfred Avenue at Wyoming Street (Tower Grove South?)

Similar to Michigan but a bit safer by my estimation.

-5600 block Arthur Avenue at Regal Place (near Tiles Park)[/quote]

Safe, a good mix of suburban and urban. I have a home for sale very close by...PM me if you're interested.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HearthstoneBrewery View Post
I'll be house hunting this weekend in STL. Can anyone please comment on these addresses?

-2900 block of Michigan Avenue (between Arsenal and Pestalozzi) (Tower Grove East) Definitely transitional; will depend on your tolerance for urban living. Violent crime is relatively low, but it's typically better to be west of Compton.
-9900 block of Gilbrook Avenue in Rock Hill I grew up only a block or so from here. Very safe, lots of families. Manchester is really too major a street to feel particularly walkable, but there's lots of restaurants and shopping along it. Rock Hill is a great value for the $ if you have kids.
-Ambergate Drive in Webster Groves -- That's the far south side of Webster Groves -- almost Marlborough. Watson is pretty similar to Manchester in that there's plenty of businesses but not particularly walkable. Again, very safe.
-1200 block of Meyer in U. City -- This is one part of U City I'm not super familiar with, but I imagine others can share more
-3200 block Alfred Avenue at Wyoming Street (Tower Grove South?) Yup, that's TGS. You'll be right next to the burgeoning strip of bars along Morganford and a long walk or easy bike ride to everything along the South Grand strip. And Tower Grove Park is just lovely (it's the city's 2nd largest park)
-5600 block Arthur Avenue at Regal Place (near Tiles Park) That is Northampton. Safe, family-friendly, near everything

Thanks in advance.
If it were me and I were choosing one based solely on the neighborhood I would personally choose the Alfred and Wyoming one. I really like that area -- but we might be very different people!

Definitely feel free to ask follow-up questions!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Forgot to mention that we'll be renting, not buying. Thanks for the quick replies!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
I can easily comment on the Rock Hill address, I live nearby and run around the neighborhood a lot.
Some plus sides:
Safe
Fairly diverse from an age + race perspective
Good access to hwy 40 & 44, so easy to get to the city/all over the Metro area
Close to lots of shopping options, and plenty of non-chain restaurants
Housing cheaper than nearby towns
Welcoming community, in my experience.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
Tower Grove East has come a long way in 5 years. I am on their listserve and never hear of violent crime. I do hear of the occasional car break in, copper theft, but nothing I would be worried about. It's a large neighborhood, some of the blocks are amazing, some are not. I have two close friends that live in TGE, neither have had a problem.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM

What about the 3400 block of Macklind? Should be good, right?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Yeah kind of a busy street but the neighborhood is fantastic. Being close to the Hill is very nice

Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 AM

132 posts, read 389,396 times
5600 block Arthur Avenue is in a great, quiet, walkable neighborhood. Close to the post office, two libraries, Hampton Village Shopping Center & Target, grocery stores, and lots of restaurants and fast food chains, and then Tilles Park as you mentioned. And you're practically right next to the Hill where you'll find Hanneke Hardware and more great restaurants! Lots of runners and walkers out and about, too. Little nightlife, imho, but that doesn't matter to me. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis