U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM

13,706 posts, read 3,888,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Maybe not "lots" plural, but it sounds to me like they didn't miss many cars in one lot: 30-40 cars, each one with the window smashed in, and they stole nothing, so I don't think having valuables in plain sight would have prevented this:

Dozens of Cars Broken Into Near Busch Stadium - KTVI (http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-cars-broken-into-busch-stadium-62511,0,4728056.story - broken link)
Ok. I was reading the related article in the post and it mentioned purses and GPS receivers as some of the items being stolen. Looks like more of a vandalism issue than theft. Still a bad deal.

Amazing they were able to cause that amount of property damage in one place and not be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 12:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 834,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Ok. I was reading the related article in the post and it mentioned purses and GPS receivers as some of the items being stolen. Looks like more of a vandalism issue than theft. Still a bad deal.

Amazing they were able to cause that amount of property damage in one place and not be seen.
It's actually a brilliant tactic from the perspective of a thief. Go to a full car lot where you know people won't be coming in/out because they're all at the same event. Make sure there are no attendants. Then smash and grab in the middle of a lot full of 1000 empty cars and no one in sight. Your odds of someone seeing you is much lower than if you were to try this at a mall parking lot with people coming and going at regular intervals...or on a random street when you never know when someone may walk by.

For this reason alone, having full time attendants for special event parking makes perfect sense to me. What's the real cost to a lot owner? One guy walking around for 3 hours making $8 an hour should be able to keep an eye on 100 cars whose drivers were charged $15 a pop to park.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:26 PM

1,518 posts, read 1,986,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post

I'm guessing they left thier gps on the dash and thier purse on the seat. Not Smart.

There is very little law enforment can do to Prevent car breakings. It must start first at the citizen level. Lock your doors, park in a well lit area, don't leave valuables in plain sight, buy a car alarm.

The police have been good about issueing FAUX tickets (be smart reminders) on cars found with valuables in plain sight. My lady friend got one yesterday for leaving a text book and some papers in plain sight.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:43 PM

14,231 posts, read 16,655,672 times
That won't make any difference. The garage where I work is also open to the public and has two attendants (two booths) and a security guard on duty all day and night and we still have break-ins. With 5 levels spread out over two city blocks they cannot catch anyone unless they happen to stumble upon them.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 8,973 times
These mass break-ins are more than just street smarts. We're talking nearly entire lots where the cars have been smashed in.

For those of you saying "lock your doors, hide your valuables," well of course. Captain Obvious.

It's a great idea for these lots to require someone attend to them all night. Crime must be faced head-on and if you're forced to pay a fee to park there, then you should be afforded more protection. Don't want to protect? Then don't charge a fee.

Agreed about the flash mobs, though we do have idiot kids playing "Knockout King" - check the Riverfront Times for an article about how the idiot kids killed someone playing that "game." Again, crime must be dealt with head-on and in a very direct manner. It should not be downplayed, quieted along race issues or otherwise swept under the rug. Hats off to Mayor Slay for tackling this issue straight on.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM

1,518 posts, read 1,986,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy1982 View Post
For those of you saying "lock your doors, hide your valuables," well of course. Captain Obvious.
It may be obvious but people still don't do it. Thanks captain smart a$$.

Spreading the word about parking smart has to be the first defense. And I think the city's new campaign has gotten the word out.

here's more info about the city's 2 pronged campaign
City Works To Stop Car Break-Ins

Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 9,694 times
Default Mandating Attendants

Although having attendants during events may be something lot owners promote to increase customers, I think it is overstepping on the Mayor's part. Those who own parking lots pay property tax and income tax that goes to the city. In return the city provides services including basic protection through police and the courts. The city may be cash strapped, but they should not squeeze the few turnips left in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis