Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times

Advertisements

This information courtesy of the consumerist

According to this, St. Louisans spend the 11th least amount of money on gas in the country. And looking at the quality cities in our company, it's clear that cheap gas isn't the (main) reason. Other top gas teetotalers include Portland, Seattle, NYC, Brooklyn, DC, Arlington, Chicago, and Denver. Does St. Louis have much better non-car options than most people give it credit for? As someone who lived car-light in STL, I definitely think so!

It's no surprise to see which cities are gas guzzlers, including San Jose, Charlotte, Louisville, Birmingham, and Fort Worth. I also think that like the "most literate" rating, this only accounted for the city proper which this time skewed the results in a positive direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Missouri has the lowest or near the lowest gas tax, which is why we have crappy roads. Even though KC is gulper, the cost isn't much (on the MO side). I honestly think the MO gas tax should be 5 cents higher or more to also help build a new or widened I70 between KC/STL. Then again, I'd prefer high speed rail over that - too bad fuel tax is not allowed to help pay for other transit. I70 could still use an upgrade just to offset the huge amount of trucking traffic.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
LA is a sipper? Definitely a flawed study.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM

150 posts, read 244,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
This information courtesy of the consumerist

According to this, St. Louisans spend the 11th least amount of money on gas in the country. And looking at the quality cities in our company, it's clear that cheap gas isn't the (main) reason. Other top gas teetotalers include Portland, Seattle, NYC, Brooklyn, DC, Arlington, Chicago, and Denver. Does St. Louis have much better non-car options than most people give it credit for? As someone who lived car-light in STL, I definitely think so!

It's no surprise to see which cities are gas guzzlers, including San Jose, Charlotte, Louisville, Birmingham, and Fort Worth. I also think that like the "most literate" rating, this only accounted for the city proper which this time skewed the results in a positive direction.
I hope you noticed that these "data" only come from people who use mint.com. Do you have any research that shows that users of mint.com provide an accurate sample of all car users in the United States? Have the gas prices been standardized to account for price differences? I could list 10 more things that make this "study" useless.

Things like this make my head hurt. People see a "statistic" like this that confirms some bias they already have and then take it as being fact without questioning anything. This is exactly why I think every college student should be required to take a basic statistics class.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM

It's Mint.com reporting their members usage so it's not really a study at all. There are definitely some interesting theories to come up with to see where each city ends up. For St. Louis, I think the combination of only reporting the city limits, with low gas prices, a good public transit system, and having it quick/easy to get to places is the reason it does so well.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
LA is a sipper? Definitely a flawed study.
This isn't a study at all. Just a list of data from a website. Nothing more.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It's Mint.com reporting their members usage so it's not really a study at all. There are definitely some interesting theories to come up with to see where each city ends up. For St. Louis, I think the combination of only reporting the city limits, with low gas prices, a good public transit system, and having it quick/easy to get to places is the reason it does so well.
How do you know they are reporting only the city limits? There is nothing on the website about the methodology used. That is a very big assumption you are making.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
I hope you noticed that these "data" only come from people who use mint.com. Do you have any research that shows that users of mint.com provide an accurate sample of all car users in the United States? Have the gas prices been standardized to account for price differences? I could list 10 more things that make this "study" useless.

Things like this make my head hurt. People see a "statistic" like this that confirms some bias they already have and then take it as being fact without questioning anything. This is exactly why I think every college student should be required to take a basic statistics class.
Wow, take your meds today? I even hypothesized reasons in the OP that do not support my "bias" but instead show how the data can be misleading, but in a positive way. Maybe you should take basic reading comprehension classes before lecturing others in basic statistics.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
How do you know they are reporting only the city limits? There is nothing on the website about the methodology used. That is a very big assumption you are making.
It's an assumption based on the fact that St. Louis ended up in a good place on this list at all. And again, that assumption runs contrary to my bias. Is there a particular reason your posts on here are almost always combatative and hostile? You must be a miserable person to be around if your posts are any indication.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Wow, take your meds today? I even hypothesized reasons in the OP that do not support my "bias" but instead show how the data can be misleading, but in a positive way. Maybe you should take basic reading comprehension classes before lecturing others in basic statistics.
Your lack of understanding shows in that you didn't ask the most basic question of where those "data" came from in the first place. Simply noticing that only users of mint.com are represented make it clear that the results are meaningless unless one is only asking the question of the gas usage of mint.com users. It is pretty obvious that you were trying to generalize those "data" to the entire US population and that was your mistake. You would have, or at least should have, learned this in the most basic statistics class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: