Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times

Advertisements

Much of West County is very nice, quite and overall a great place to raise a family. And being 10-30min comute to St. Louis City proper is still pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
That's one of the great things about the STL region: there's a part of the metro area-- be it a city neighborhood, a suburb, a semi-rural area, or a satellite town-- to suit the taste of just about anyone. And for the most part, I think most people are pretty comfortable in the area where they live.
For example, not a very large percentage of Wildwood residents have a desire to live in downtown STL. They find what pleases them in their own community: wooded hills, solitude, safety. By the same token, most loft dwellers will have little interest in living in the outer ring. The exurbs don't offer enough of the amenities and the urban vibe that they crave.
I think what's also interesting is how some people want the best of "both worlds"; they want a urban-style community located in a suburban setting. I guess that's why we have places like New Town.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I just wanted to say that if this board is skewed in one direction, thart's hardly the fault of this board's regular posters. It seems as though we have very few regular posters from areas outside of the city and damn near none if you include the inner-ring suburbs.

From what I've seen in almost 4 years on this forum is that we get an awful lot of trolls who offer very little information other than to say that the city is a rotting crime-ridden hell hole. I imagine these are the same folks who comment on every Post-Dispatch article online. It usually falls to us city folk to help those who come to this board for relocation advice, and I feel confident that if you looked at those posts from say the last year, you'll find even those who live in the city are more than happy to give fair and honest advice -- even if that means looking in the suburbs for some people. From the few suburbanite posters we've had, I've not found that to often be the case.
I have often thought that some of the trolls that pop up here and the ones that post on stltoday are one and the same, glad to know I am not the only one that thinks that.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,686 times
Obviously West County isn't going to appeal to the liberal hippie bohemian subculture who only want to eat at locally-grown vegan organic fair trade restaurants and make their own clothes, but it's a great place to raise a family--quiet, safe, good schools, etc.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Yes, those are the only two types of people in this world: "liberal hippie bohemian subculture who only want to eat at locally-grown vegan organic fair trade restaurants and make their own clothes" and those who want to raise a family.

You're an odd duck.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Obviously West County isn't going to appeal to the liberal hippie bohemian subculture who only want to eat at locally-grown vegan organic fair trade restaurants and make their own clothes, but it's a great place to raise a family--quiet, safe, good schools, etc.
Um, let's not just sum up all of West County as "safe", like it's some kind of haven from crime. That's a fairy tale. Crime is everywhere, and West County definitely has it's share. Here are some of the latest reported incidents: Saint Louis County Missouri Crime Incident Map

Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
LOL, 1greatcity...maybe we're seeing different things, but looking at the crime map, and randomly filtering the different crimes on and off shows SIGNIFICANTLY less crime in West County in comparison to the other parts of St. Louis County (namely North and South County). The area with the most crimes on the map seems pretty clear as the North Eastern part of St. Louis County, the Southern part of St. Louis county is a "close" second...and West County is far below either of those two areas...so yes, crime is everywhere...but if you were looking for a crime free haven in St. Louis County, W. County might be as close as you're going to find.

Do we have a crime map for St. Louis City?

NM, found it. https://www.crimereports.com/

With the same layers turned on, there's barely a blank spot on the map. So if West County isn't the "Haven of safety", maybe St. Louis City is the Haven of crime?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^I absolutely think West County is safer than most places, but calling the city "haven of crime" is pretty shallow.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
I was simply posing the question with a not so subtle insinuation. I don't believe for a minute that the city is a "haven of crime", it was simply a response to your statement that West County isn't a "haven from crime".

Also seems like a bit of a double standard, when crime is brought up in relation to the city we speak of it being "localized" and typically not "random". I think the crime map listed above shows that the crime throughout the St. Louis area is fairly concentrated. In the County Map you provided, crime seems to be most concentrated to the very inner ring suburbs, and increases the further North you move on the map. The further you remove yourself from the city core, the less "county reported" crime you see. Just an observation.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^Not my statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis